Deck with my daughter

Beth-Anne

So as a mom daughter project my 15 yr old and I were going to create a tarot deck to help her learn the cards, but she just wasn't feeling it. Then I had this subsection open and she looked through it, spent all of new years eve googling these decks, reading about them :) and told me she knew what she wanted to do. So here I am. Her vision is a Native version, cuz we are Native and the images transcend well and where they don't the descriptions lead to easy replacements. I've never liked the Native tarot or oracle cards. I find they just seem to be selling the culture (sweat lodge, vision quest) and other issues. So we were up most of the night brainstorming. I'm drawing, she's colouring & writing. It's going great, and she found what speaks to her. We've only added lightly to the description in areas where it would be culturally relevant, like adding bingo to the clover card (which is peach pit game), cuz if a Native can't know when its a good time to head to bingo, how good is the deck? Lol.
5b899fd7859105ff1324db1102206157.jpg

Beth-Anne

We are re-doing our tree.
edc189812e179a1d0b24bb78c4a24d02.jpg

greatdane

I commend you on doing a mother-daughter project!

I think it is great you are using your Native roots to make it especially meaningful to you both. I admit you would have lost me with the peach pit game as Clover :) as before I read the text, it didn't really click for me that's what it was.

What a lovely way to get your daughter involved with reading.

Beth-Anne

Ty. Its a game of luck & chance. We are including the cards traditional names when we change it. We aren't writing descriptions of what a peach pit game is, either you know, or you see the card is also clover. It will be for her but she will sell some at powwow also and to friends.

Tigerangel

The cards are great, I was just thinking the other day that there was no lenormand decks that are native American themed, not to my knowledge anyway, I was thinking of creating my own deck for self use, have being meaning to buy a graphics tablet for awhile to reactivate some drawing skills, but I always end up leaving it too the wayside, and was just thinking of ideas of how it would work the other day, so funny how you posted this, must be synchronicity lol.

Your daughter and you are doing a great job :)

Beth-Anne

Ty. Are you Native also?

Tigerangel

No I'm Scottish, but I'm very drawn to native culture, and I have a native American spirit guide, who can be really stern with me at times, but if we had choices I would have liked to been of a native decent, but this time round its Scottish n glaswegian ( I'm from Glasgow)