In the news...

Milfoil

That is a well ballanced article and a pleasure to read.

Shade

Hmmmmmmm when "dispelling myhts" we run the danger ofsucking all of the life out of tarot. Everything in moderation I say.

Khatruman

Wonderful article you found. I am glad Mr. McElroy is doing so much work to help tarot be seen more legitimately.

Ohh, and when I saw it was being done in the South (U.S.), I expected, and cringed at, this:
John Butterfield, an associate pastor at Broadmoor Baptist Church in Ridgeland, said that according to the Bible, tarot falls into the same category as occult practices and divination, such as consulting spirits and mediums or looking to astrology for answers.

"(Tarot) circumvents a person's relationship with God and relying on God's will," he said. "In some instances, it's false spirituality as well."
No wonder all these poor souls come in here wondering if they can be Christian and tarot readers!!! Grrrrrr

Elven

Thanks for the article - its rare enough to see something in print, let alone a positive one. Pity they always have to drag someone else in to make a comment though ... usually a Baptist at that! (LOL)

Elven x

Elven

OOps that didnt come out right!

Sorry I wasn't being rude to Baptists, I didnt explain myself there. I meant I've seen another 2 articles lately where they have asked a Baptist minister(s) for their opinion. We must be the flavour of the month at the moment. No yucky stuff intended.

Elven x

Emeraldgirl

Thanks for the great article. I thoght it was nice to see tarot being portrayed as something other than a gimmick

jmd

Again... in the news!

Nice to again see a more positive Newspaper report.

This time, in the Monitor in Texas.

Fulgour

Newspaperman Bill Reed (Freedom News Service) writes:
"Since making their way to the United States in the early 1900s,
tarot cards have evolved from a curiosity to a steady business."

Fulgour:
I'd have to say the Pilgrims (wayward of all conventionalities) had
several styles even of the more popular decks of the mid-1600's
along with them, possibly divining Plymouth Rock for a landing.
George Washington a century later, kept a '60 Conver Marseille.

Reed further states: "The Rider-Waite tarot deck, created in 1909,
became the first tarot cards readily available in the United States,
and rode a wave of popularity during the 1960s when the tarot
and other metaphysical pursuits boomed."

Fulgour:
The popularity of various French and Italian decks prevailed long
after the arrival of the "Rider-Waite" on these shores, with people
generally preferring to have copies of several decks, just like now.