Can anyone identify what this medallion is?

AJ

I know this is an odd place for this thread, please pardon me mods, but I didn't want it to go in subscribers only section in chat.

A friend found this in a little bag of jewelry. She thinks it is silver although it isn't marked.

this is what she wrote about it:
It has Alpha & Omega written in the center (Alpha & are written above the horizontal line and Omega is written below the horizontal line. There is a vertical line dividing the inner circle. There is lots of writing around both the front and the back that looks to be written in Latin. They are too fine for me to make out. I don't know if this is a Catholic medallion or because of the strange diagram it might be something altogether different. A real Da Vinci Code type of mystery. This is the best I can do to show each side.

There are so many big brains here I'm hopeful that we can discover an answer. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• medallion front.jpg
    medallion front.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 216
  • medallion back.jpg
    medallion back.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 235

Lillie

There used to be a place that made and sold silver talismans.

They looked (from the pictures I remember) a lot like what you have there.

They used to advertise in 'prediction' magazine.
Maybe they still do, I haven't bought one for years and years.

I expect other people make stuff like that too.

Anyhow, the place I'm thinking of used ceremonial magic glyphs etc, and stuff from old grimoirs like the key of solomon to make different talismans for different purposes.

Maybe it's something like that.....

AJ

thank you Lillie, I'll tell her to check the news agents next time she is in town. That reverse side is so...specific I guess is the word I'm looking for, I sure hope we can fine tune it.

Lillie

I have had a look through some books and sites.
I haven't yet come across it.

Without knowing what the latin words say it would be difficult to say what it was made for.

And that there is the problem
I have very little doubt that it was created to be an occult talisman. But what for, I don't know.
It could be for something good, or for something bad, it could be to ask the aid of some angel or demon.

It could be voodoo, I suppose.
I don't know much about that, I doubt I would recognise it if I saw it.

The thing is, this was made with intent, and we don't know what the intent is/was, if it was ever used, or charged.

Depending on your beliefs it might be a good idea to be a bit wary of it.

Scion

I'd say with 95% certainty it's a Solomonic talisman, although I can't think of any that actually write out "alpha" and "omega" in exactly that location.

But if I'm seeing it correctly, it looks like you have archangelic names around the rim of the front. It's strange that the sigil is on the back, but it isn't one of the Goetia or any infernal princes that I can think of. That barred triangle is familiar though. You know who would be able to identify that is Aeon418. :)

Thing is, it doesn't look mass produced, because the engraving isn't "hard" or distinct enough to be cast. It looks like a handmade, engraved piece. (a little like Caput Draconis produces) :thumbsup: Lovely!

Scion

Lillie

Yeah, I wondered if it was hand made.
It looks hand engraved.

I can't read any of the writing.... apart from the XX at the top.

Scion

Hard to read, but I think the inscription on the back says:

"necesse est seculum" (meaning I think "it is necessary to divide/cut")

Which might be a quote from the Psalms...

Or if the words before necesse are: In explecione Romani regni necesse est seculum

Then I think it's Augustine writing about the Antichrist...

Or not. Impossible to say without a clearer sense of the words.

Lillie

good lord..

if I could have read it I wouldn't have known all that....

Have you been educating yourself or something?

:)

Scion

Actually that was just me squinting at the image off and on for about 10 minutes and then googling like hell with the est seculum... until I ran across a Solomonic book I had on my shelves. :D

I just chewed the data, but Google did the legwork.

Lillie

*sigh*

you make it sound so easy.....