Lenormand vs. Tarot

Nevermore

I was thinking...less cards = easier to learn?
Or will each card stand for more since there are less?
I've been looking at the French Cartomancy deck as well as the LS Lenormand (with only pictures and numbers, no writings/cards) and both look like decks that I might work with, but I was wondering how different it will be from Tarot.
Do let me know what you think of the decks...are they easy to handle? Are they appealing? Easy to carry with you? Let me know.

ana luisa

I use both and there´s no way of telling which is "easier" to read with. Oracles (Lenormand) do require , IMO more intuitive work than Tarot. The whole suit thing and court cards help a lot in getting the message. Having said that, I also do believe it´s got to do with the reader more than anything. There are fewer cards but the symbols matter immensely so you may want to further "investigate" on each card. My advice is, go out and buy one. They are not expensive and can be easily carried. My favorites are the French Lenormand and the Piatnik. I believe they can be found at either Alida or Tarot Garden... If anything, they can even be used in tandem with your Tarot deck for clarification. Yes, I mix both and they seem to be o.k. with that :)

stella01904

Tarot is a study, but you don't have to "learn" Lenormand, just free-associate and make a "sentence" of the card combinations. Practice, yes, but no memorization or research. A dog, a child, roads - all these things mean something to you already.

I use both, though. Tarot is like a philosopher you can talk to. Lenormand tells you more mundane things, and sometimes a little gossip. :)

faunabay

I am just learning lenormand. I got my first deck about a month ago. So it's very new to me still. Now this is my opinion and what I've found but for me tarot deals a little more with generalities - the wider picture, while the lenormand gives you the details. It's almost scary in how detailed you can get. So they both work great together but just with a slightly different focus.
I absolutely LOVE the lenormand and am working exclusively with it right now while I'm learning. It's one of those things that you find at exactly the right time and is absolutely perfect for me right now!

Nevermore

Thanks for your help, guys! I'm going to get one in the future, soon.
I do wish the major bookstores would carry them along with the many tarot decks. (sigh)

Shuvano

stella01904 said:
Tarot is like a philosopher you can talk to. Lenormand tells you more mundane things, and sometimes a little gossip. :)

Oh my gosh.....LoL.....THAT IS EXACTLY IT!!! You said it so perfectly!

MareSaturni

Both are different things. I'd advice trying both, seeing which one you prefer. Less cards doesn't mean easier, more cards doesn't mean more complete. They can't be compared, because they are different systems.

Lenormand, indeed, stands (most of the time) for more mundane things, but can give interesting insights sometimes. It all depends on how you use it. Don' limit yourself to a single vision or a single kind of oracle/tarot ;)
Both are great!

Good luck :)

MatPoint

Hi,
I agree Lenormand will deliver more mundane information, tarot will give you a more generalized reading. In part it has to do with the symbols used. In lenormand you just have a main picture (and the standard playing card), what the card looks like is not important as it is the symbol of the card what you have to interpret. In tarot you'll find plenty of symbols in each card, so it gives you more information to deal with and to analyze.

I think the basics are easier in Lenormand: the meaning of each card, the layouts, and so on. Then to advance in your study of this deck you just have to practice combinations of cards. You can use standard meanings for combinations but they are not difficult to figure it out by yourself if you pay attention.

For instance: Heart + Paths. Taking important decisions about your love life or does it mean there is a separation on the way? There is no right or wrong answer, you have to use your intuition to figure it out. Does it feel like a separation? and answer yourself.

It's a great deck to develop intuition.

Mat

Nevermore

You guys convinced me further, I just ordered a French Cartomancy.
It's official, I have deck acquisition fever. :)

Skydancer

Nevermore ~ ~

You will also really like Mystical Lenormand. Trust me!

*S*