Just thought I would ask...

SunChariot

What are the funniest Tarot myths you have heard. I know there are some strange and funny ones out there.

Babs

swedishfish612

Several times when buying a deck at Barnes & Noble, a salesperson has told me that I'm not supposed to buy a deck for myself!

*I have never, ever been gifted a Tarot deck! lol

DesertDream

That the tarot is the devils picture book :p

Teyata

As a child, I was told that Tarot cards and ouija boards are gateways to demon possession. Demons hang out near/in? the cards and wait indefinitely for someone to use them up so they can jump into the user's body. The only way devils can be released is by praying over and burning the cards.

Hence, my parents don't know I read Tarot.

Ace

That you should sleep with your deck under your pillow. I was developing a terrible stiff neck until someone told me that you don't need to do that--or to do it for a NIGHT OR TWO when you get a new deck, not all the time!

(And I am NOT making this up!)

barb

Tarotphelia

One of the silliest I heard was that you had to STEAL your deck ! Just recently I heard that if your tarot deck is not given to you and you go and buy your own then all your readings will be completely wrong . Because you went against Tradition . Stated as absolute fact , of course .

Marua

Funny!

A friend of mine once told me that if I don't know how to read the Cards correctly that all sorts of bad Things will happen, like unleashing evil spirits. Of course I didn't believe her as I had studied tarot for quite a while when she said it. And also how are you supposed to learn if you don't make mistakes every now and then? So I just shrugged and said: "that's how I feel about Ouija Boards".

madhatter00o

I read it in the very first Tarot book I bought for myself:

You have to make your own Tarot cloth, and it MUST be black velvet on which you have HAND EMBROIDERED the symbol of the Tarot. (It included the Tarot symbol, which is incredibly complicated, as well as colour-coding for what colours to make each part... just in case you *didn't* know it already, pfft.)

Yeah, I wanted a book on how to read the Tarot, not on how to pretend to be Martha Stewart... *rolls eyes* (though, I really do love Martha! XD)

JackofWands

I have an Orthodox Christian friend who once told me with a straight face that the cards tell the truth on every day except Pentecost Sunday, but that on Pentecost they will always lie and mislead anyone who consults them.

Emily

One that you see in tarot books even now is that the cards have to be wrapped in silk, preferably black, and kept in a special wooden box only ever to be removed to do a reading with - I wonder if cheap multi-coloured cotton and plastic boxes would do as well lol