Caitlin Matthews' Complete Lenormand Oracle vs Enchanted Lenormand Oracle

EmpyreanKnight

To those who have Caitlin Matthews' The Complete Lenormand Oracle book and her Enchanted Lenormand Oracle set, is the former just an extended version of the companion book found in the latter, or does the latter offer insights not found in the former?

I'm just starting with the Lenormand and I definitely am going to purchase the Complete book. Some reviews say that the material in it is a bit too advanced tho, and I was thinking that the Enchanted companion book might be a good jumping point. However, if everything in the Enchanted can be found in the Complete book, I guess I'd just skip the Enchanted set.

Setting off on another tangent: I already have a copy of the George book, and I'm considering getting the Louis and Boroveshengra. If I decide to get the Matthews, Louis, and Boroveshengra books aside from the George, what is the best sequence in reading them so that I can learn the Lenormand better? Or will it all just end up a giant muddle in my head?

Thanks!

rif

I borrowed the Matthews book from the library once. It was thorough although it seemed a bit dry. The spiritual sequence within the Lenormand (I don't recall what it was called) did nothing for me.

Andy's book is good and complements Rana's, although you'll find some subtle differences. Frankly I don't think you need to purchase every book out there and do comparison learning. I've recommended to beginners for years to stick with one teacher until you have a grounding and then branch out if you wish. Of course, back then, there were so few English lanuguage sources that it was easier advice to follow!:D

So my opinion is work with what you have and practice a lot. When you know the cards well enough to do basic readings, consider adding on, but I'd still say you don't need to own all the books. The Lenormand cards have a generally set meaning, and while people may have some variations you don't want to incorporate ever single little nuance from every reader.

Andy's book covers distance nicely and throughout. I had long avoided distance because when I learned back in 2009 the available material was all about combos. Iris Treppner (well known German teacher) didn't use them and was quite skilled. In retrospect that info helped me understand some more of how combos can work in sequence. Rana covers this but only for Grand Tableau and not as in detail.

MissChiff

I don't have Matthews book, but I do have the Enchanted Lenormand. I love the set and I really enjoy the book that comes with it. I plan on getting the book because I've heard lots of grand things about it!

DownUnderNZer

I have the "Enchanted Lenormand", but have never used it nor the booklet/leaflet. I do know one person I met that told me she stopped using the book as she "didn't get it" and could not move passed the "pairs". She regretted buying it. So, one person that did invest in it.

I am sure it is different for everyone.

Louis gives you a solid understanding of each card including the playing cards, if I am remembering right, and history. But all the books you speak of follow different systems including Georges.

The German system when it comes to reading it in that style is actually harsher and heavy whereas the French is a lot more lighter and yet there are only 5 cards that vary between both systems. It is how they are read and especially when it comes to reading the cards as pairs and combos not individually.

You do not need all the books like someone mentioned above. I had no books for years and the only issue I had was language barriers and lack of resources.

I prefer the French system although I learnt the German system and the French at the same time by a Traditionalist (German system) and non traditionalist (French).

Learn one system first and have the basic card meanings down packed before venturing out with them is my advise. You do not need multiple books - just someone that knows the Lenormand in and out properly, so choose wisely.

DND :)

MissChiff

I have the "Enchanted Lenormand", but have never used it nor the booklet/leaflet. I do know one person I met that told me she stopped using the book as she "didn't get it" and could not move passed the "pairs". She regretted buying it. So, one person that did invest in it.

Louis gives you a solid understanding of each card including the playing cards, if I am remembering right, and history. But all the books you speak of follow different systems including Georges.

The German system when it comes to reading it in that style is actually harsher and heavy whereas the French is a lot more lighter and yet there are only 5 cards that vary between both systems. It is how they are read and especially when it comes to reading the cards as pairs and combos not individually.

You do not need all the books like someone mentioned above. I had no books for years and the only issue I had was language barriers and lack of resources.

I prefer the French system although I learnt the German system and the French at the same time by a Traditionalist (German system) and non traditionalist (French).

Learn one system first and have the basic card meanings down packed before venturing out with them is my advise. You do not need multiple books - just someone that knows the Lenormand in and out properly, so choose wisely.

I think you should do a book! You know a lot about the Lenormand and you have experience and you are really passionate about the cards. You should think about it!!

DownUnderNZer

Mary Greer is working on a book about the "different systems", I believe, and from a historical perspective where possible.

She would be able to explain this a lot better than me though of course. That book is one book I want to invest in.

Some people are "educators" - I'm not one of them. I know enough, but am not generational and still at what I feel is an "intermediate" level.

I can think of one book that should perhaps be written, but it would not be about what all the others have written to date on the Lenormand in different languages. :D

I think you should do a book! You know a lot about the Lenormand and you have experience and you are really passionate about the cards. You should think about it!!

EmpyreanKnight

I borrowed the Matthews book from the library once. It was thorough although it seemed a bit dry. The spiritual sequence within the Lenormand (I don't recall what it was called) did nothing for me.

Andy's book is good and complements Rana's, although you'll find some subtle differences. Frankly I don't think you need to purchase every book out there and do comparison learning. I've recommended to beginners for years to stick with one teacher until you have a grounding and then branch out if you wish. Of course, back then, there were so few English lanuguage sources that it was easier advice to follow!:D

So my opinion is work with what you have and practice a lot. When you know the cards well enough to do basic readings, consider adding on, but I'd still say you don't need to own all the books. The Lenormand cards have a generally set meaning, and while people may have some variations you don't want to incorporate ever single little nuance from every reader.

Andy's book covers distance nicely and throughout. I had long avoided distance because when I learned back in 2009 the available material was all about combos. Iris Treppner (well known German teacher) didn't use them and was quite skilled. In retrospect that info helped me understand some more of how combos can work in sequence. Rana covers this but only for Grand Tableau and not as in detail.

Thanks, rif! Working in a technical field, when I aim to learn a new software language I try to get the best introductory book + 2 to 3 of the meatier, intermediate to advanced ones. But yeah I guess I must focus on one learning approach here.

I already have Rana's book, but it seems like Caitlin's is more comprehensive so I'm leaning towards buying her book. However many reviews say opine that it really is for readers who are already quite familiar with the Lenormand, so I was thinking maybe the booklet in the Enchanted set would be a good intro if it were not entirely included in the magisterial Complete book.

However, you said that Rana's approach complements Andy's well, so you lean towards their books? If I cboose this, which one would you recommend that I start with?

EmpyreanKnight

I don't have Matthews book, but I do have the Enchanted Lenormand. I love the set and I really enjoy the book that comes with it. I plan on getting the book because I've heard lots of grand things about it!

I have heard more accolades than the opposite regarding Matthews Lenormand oeuvre so I'm leaning towards it myself, MissChiff. But was the Enchanted set your first Lenny? Would you say that the book/booklet in it was very informative to you as a beginner, or did you initially learn the Lenormand through another source?

EmpyreanKnight

Yup, I heard that there are many Lenormand systems like the German, French, I think a Hungarian, and some modern offshoots. I guess I must stick to one system first so I won't end up a confused mess. But I'm just curious, which system/s do the George, Matthews, Louis, and Boroveshengra books follow? Do they strictly follow these systems or do they also inject their own interpretations i.e. how pure are they? If they are hybrid, which do they lean more into?

Thanks DownUnderNZer!

DownUnderNZer

I got the set out and it is actually a deck with a book. The book has just the single card meanings and a number of spreads etc. I did not have a proper read at all and it is the first time I have really looked at it.

Rana George follows the French system. She has her own style based around it I believe. I saw one short demo she did and I did not mind it. The only time I ever saw her interact on another site she did not know the German or Brazilian systems. Not sure about now. That may have changed.

Andy B follows the German system.

Louis looks at traditional, core, and alternate meanings.

Looking at "Birds" it seems to follow the "German" and likely "Dutch" as that is a cross between systems. He even does the "Dondorf" meanings it seems. I think more so German actually.

Louis is one to read for sure. With Andy B you will see how harsh the cards can be not just the light side of it. He use to be on AT and was very strong about the way he saw the Lenormand and in a very "traditional" way.

I still prefer the French system.

Yup, I heard that there are many Lenormand systems like the German, French, I think a Hungarian, and some modern offshoots. I guess I must stick to one system first so I won't end up a confused mess. But I'm just curious, which system/s do the George, Matthews, Louis, and Boroveshengra books follow? Do they strictly follow these systems or do they also inject their own interpretations i.e. how pure are they? If they are hybrid, which do they lean more into?

Thanks DownUnderNZer!