Beginner Obstacles

Genna

I sure do appreciate your advice and help! :thumbsup: Everyone always has something to offer. I think you do as well and I am so thankful that you took the time to respond. :heart:

I am definitely going to start a Lenormand Journal as I think I will need that to remember all the combinations and how each card can mean something.

I have been frustrated also by the 'book meanings" not making sense to the question asked. What do you do then? I would think intuition, but there was a big blow up thread about that. I just am confused at if the book meaning doesn't make sense to the question or the subject.. how to make it fit? Or could it be that it is saying another message? I tried that with one reading, but that didn't make sense in that case either. lol

You are definitely more experienced than I am. lol Do you read often? Do you do practice readings to help you or just more still doing personal/daily draws? I ask because I want to do practice readings with people on the boards, but I am so confused that I honestly think it will take many months to really be able to feel like I actually know what I am doing or understanding it. That is why I asked about you.

Did you buy a deck of regular playing cards and write the names of the Lenormand meanings on them to help you out? I'm thinking of doing that the same time as I am learning the Lenormand cards thinking if I do both at the same time.. maybe it will help my understanding better. Like using playing cards with no photos if they are throwing me. lol What are your thoughts on that?

Sorry for so many questions love! I am just really out of my element in Lenormand.

Hugs,
BeyondtheVeil

Hello! You´ve got so much good advice here from people a lot more experienced than I. I have read Rana George´s book and then Caitlin Matthews. It has a lot of exercises after each chapter, and that really helped. Rana George´s chatty style with examples from her own life really helped too.
As for deck,I would buy one I loved, but it is true that you need to see fast what each card means in a GT. Buying an ordinairy deck and writing the Lenormand meanings sounds like what I guess Mlle Leormand actually did.But in that case, remove the cards that don´t belong to a piquet deck; 2,3,4 and 5. And remember playing card inserts in Lenormand are read differently than cartomancy with ordinairy playing cards. I know most don´t believe Mlle Lenormand came up with the Lenormand deck, but that it was a board deck from 1799 that was the original, but I like think she did. She had the knowledge to do it; she told fortunes in piquet, coffee tea-leaves, eggs, she did the GT. All her papers and things to do with divination were burnt directly after her death.
I read a lot for myself, but that is more difficult, I find, although you have to do it to practice. I like Caitlin Matthews tip to read for historical persons like Mary, Queen of Scots using 5 card spreads. Also read for the outcome of elections, other news or for fictional characters in books and films. And read for yourself every day, even if it´s one card spreads at first. Write down everything you think the card foretold. Get another a book and give every card two pages.
I read 3 cards every morning, 5,7 or 9 in a string if I´m worried about something, and a GT if I´m really worried. I also often do a "portrait" spread; 3x3, where the card in the middle is central.(9cards). I don´t use the playing card inserts now.
There is one free internet page that gives the meaning of every two card combo; sorry I don´t know how to link to it, and my first deck had a book sold separately; Mysterious Lenormand, that did the same, but now I find two cards can mean many different things. I guess you should not limit yourself to what it says on a page.That are just examples.
I`m sorry if I´ve repeated what the others said. I´m sure you will do well.
Love and Light, Genna.

snowmoon

hi,
if you are confuse, use one card for daily is fine. i think use 2 cards are more difficult, because there might be lots of meanings or just could be a simple meaning..

BeyondtheVeil

Nemia

Blue Owl and Blue Bird are not the same deck at all. Blue Owl is a traditional German deck, Blue Bird a new American (I think) art collage deck.

That makes sense as the poems are in English. :)

The "system" is not in the cards but in the book you learn with, the tradition. There is a Dutch/Belgian tradition, a German and French one... and now a US one. I prefer to call them schools. Those schools reflect the fact that these cards are quite new (invented in the late 18th, early 19th century), and in different place people have adopted them differently. It doesn't matter which school you pick. Lenormand works for all. Just be consistent.

Make it simple. Learn with a book or website that you feel comfortable with. And then stick with the meanings you learned there. If you learned that Fox is the work card, use it as such. You may meet later another book that uses Anchor as work card but then you know already that you follow a different system, and just leave it.

Ah! That explains a lot! lol I just bought a book from Rana George. I think I like her and Andy B. We will see though. The book arrives tomorrow and I am very excited to read it.

It's more important to learn the inner logic of all the associations to one card - time, health, person, character, number. They're all connected to the core keyword, or the image itself (snake - intestines), and sometimes to the card face (mostly with court cards - look at Lilies for example).

Each card holds a whole bouquet ;-) of such meanings.

I remember taking the cards with me and looking at them all the time, just shuffling them and looking at each and learning their meanings.

That is what I am doing also. I do better asking questions so I have been doing "readings" on things. So far I have gotten them correct! :bugeyed: It is funny to not understand the system, but being able to give an accurate reading. I wasn't sure if it was that or not. That is why I chose to do 'reading" on things that were going to happen in a day or two. lol

Far as I understand, and I'm no expert because I don't use them too often although I've been reading Lenormand for many years!, there are two basic ways of reading them.

1. start with two cards. The first card is WHAT? card and the second the HOW? card - the first card is the noun, the second the adjective. I call this the Moulin Rouge technique because in French, the noun (moulin) comes first, the adjective (rouge) second.

So if you have the Fox and the Anchor, the Anchor describes the Fox. Every time a new card is added to the right, it describes the bunch of cards that came before it.

I think Caitlin Matthews explains this technique really well.

2. start with three cards, a bit like in tarot: the central card is the main player, the other two give their comments. I.e., the main card is the noun, the other are adjectives and verbs.

I find a nine-card layout (three times three) very useful.

That is very helpful! :thumbsup: Thank you!! :heart:

You don't even have to ask a question. Just let the cards decide which is the topic of the reading - the central card in a nine card reading. And look how this topic is treated by the cards around it.

In tarot, the question is super important. In Lenormand, often it's enough to ask: what's going on right now?, and then start with the cards themselves. Or a concrete question with development - where is the relationship going? or something similar.

I do book readings - I did some very good readings for Scarlett O'Hara and the Girl with the Pearl Earring ;-)

The more training you have with Lenormand, the more self confident you are with the cards. They really work differently from tarot, more concrete, more pragmatic, rather terse compared to the magically full world of the tarot.

I have to heed my advice and go and train some more!

The problem I have with not having any questions is I don't know 'what" to read on. lol So far asking questions including yes/no seem to be working for me. It is very helpful in me learning the meaning of the cards. I also am getting feelings about some cards so I wonder if that is helping me connect better?

I am thinking as I learn the cards though that not having a question may be easier like you said. Right now, I am so stressed about 'learning the card meanings" that I kind of freeze up. lol That is why I started asking questions. I think it must relax me. I don't know lol

PS: I'm not a great fan of "what does X think" questions. X has his/her own defenses and I tend to respect that. Often, you'll get reflections of your own desires or conflicts reflected back. I always prefer questions of the "what do I have to know about me and X" kind, or, for tarot, "what can I do concerning X" and not the all-too-often guesswork of what goes on in other people's heads.

Everyone has their own things that they can read and connect to. I find what does X think/feel to work for me. I know that if I am not meant to know then I won't get that message. Of course, this is what works for me. I respect all ways that readers decide for themselves how to read as you can only read how you are given the message or understand how to ask/get info. It is best to do what the individual reader feels most comfortable doing. I find that works for me and that is how I do my readings.

Thank you so much for your advice and help with learning the lenormand! It looks overwhelming at first, but once you calm down.. it is seeming better. lol

I also am focusing on the Blue Birds Lenormand until my Chakra Lenormand comes. I am very comfortable with the deck and even like the little poems on them.lol

I am excited about the new book on Learning Lenormand that I ordered. It is called The Essential Lenormand: Your Guide to Precise & Practical Fortunetelling. By Rana George. I also am thinking of getting the book by Andy B. I will see after I get Rana's book. Like I mentioned above.. it should be here tomorrow and I am so excited!

I will let you know how the book goes. It is my first lenormand book...so I hope it is very helpful! :)

Hugs to you!! :heart:
BeyondtheVeil

BeyondtheVeil

zhadee

I am no big fan about this question.
What do I think about a person I have not seen for a while? Yesterday, I did not think of them at all. But now that I've seen that movie/heard that song/eaten that pizza and so on, they are on my mind.
Had somebody asked about me thoughts yesterday, they would have received a completely different answer than today. But seriously, just because I think of them, it does not necessarily mean I will do something about them.

I sort of understand this, but I was asking in a divination way. It was actually accurate for me. I think if a reader has issues with reading certain questions then that may interfere in actually getting the divination of what a situation will do.

I'm going to update my readings and how they actually played out. To my utter surprise.. they were correct. I wasn't surprised that they were correct.. I was surprised they were with a system that I don't completely understand. I also don't have a problem on reading anything for divination, so that is why I probably get answers on what someone is feeling/going to do. It is current energies and everyone has freewill. If you ask a specific question you should get a specific answer.. at least that is what happens in my case. I hate doing general readings and just don't feel like I can give those. I'm sure that does affect my ability to do such readings. lol I think that is why I am asking questions with Lenormand even though it says you don't need a question. My hang ups are preventing me from doing what I want as I believe I can't or shouldn't do them. I am hoping to change that, so with the new lenormand book coming.. I hope I relax and can do the readings without a question.

For now, that is how I can connect to a card and see 'what' it means in my readings. I am floored that it worked and I actually got the messages correct. Though now I know that letter can mean a "phone invitation" not just something paper. So, now I see any type of invitation or message. I'm sure it will add more layers/meanings as I continue to do lenormand readings and work with the cards.

Now what to make of any card? The way you read your cards reflects your personality. Choose a school that resonates with your truth. Choose a teacher who resonates with you. MIne had been Iris Treppner's book, after a few years I then found Lilith's method more in sync with me. I've been very active on a german forum, discussing meanings back then helped me most of all.
Now that I have access to english and french sources, I keep adding new layers.

Thank you for this advice! I couldn't find the book that you were referring to but I found Rana George. I ordered her book and I am hoping that it is what I am looking for. I think I may get Andy B's book next.

These are your cards, they help you to reflect a matter. If you want to send somebody a message, Lenormand will help you to find out if that is a good idea. From my experience, no card is either good or bad.
They are symbols, and thus endlessly versatile. It's you who give them the meaning. So sending or not sending that message, receiving or not receiving a message - there's a lesson in each one of these scenarios.

That is a great idea also! I always feel like I have to ask them something specific. I think I am doing that because I am trying to see what they mean in any situation. I think getting the first Lenormand book will help me. This is the first time ever that I have tried to read this system. It was so overwhelming but doing the practice 'fortune telling" readings are helping. lol

I will update my readings with what happened in a new post or do it on the post I asked the questions. Practice definitely helps you connect and feel more comfortable with doing readings and understanding the cards.

Thanks so much for your help love!! You are always such a sweet and supportive person! {{{BIG HUGS}}

BeyondtheVeil

BeyondtheVeil

reall

Just to join all good advice here and say you don't need to stick to any specific book or rules in your reading!:) whatever works best for you is best!:) and just for the record I think there is Russian system as well!XD lolz :)

All advice is very welcome love! :heart:

I agree with what works for each reader is best. I'm finding that a lot of people have these "rules" of divination. I don't understand that as that is actually why I do Tarot and wanting to learn the lenormand. For "fortune-telling" :D lol I do know that if I am not meant to know something that I won't get that. I get that with my Tarot sometimes :D LOL So, at least for me.. I know if I am not supposed to know or ask.. my readings will tell me that. lol My cards can be very blunt sometimes LOL

That is so cool for a Russian System also. I'm glad there are so many opportunities for everyone to get access to Lenormand and Tarot.

I agree 1 card reading is best to start with!:) I often do that and then draw few more cards on top of it for clarification, also 2 card seems to give you good hint as you were on spot with that bird man reading?:) i.e if he is not facing birds maybe he is avoiding eye to eyes conversation?:) and letter say you'll had to fold a paper/take pen and deal it old fashion/or chat way?:) lolz also I know a person who gives amazingly on spot tarot readings with just a 3 cards so maybe you should try that next with lenny?:)

I am now doing yes/no questions. lol So far they have been correct, but we will see. lol
I did try one card reading with a clarifier lol Then two card readings. Sometimes more cards fall out so.. lol I am trying to just ask questions that I will get an answer to within days. lol That usually is helping especially with the yes/no. I think even though these are going well I just don't think I am anywhere close to be able to even practice read for anyone yet. I'm just trying to see what the cards mean in certain circumstances or for the yes/no.

and for that 5 card example, I always watch a last card first!XD then glance over all cards and link their basic meanings/interpretation, i.e in this case I would say;
Key is Mice card/meaning something small, tiny, bits by bits, mouse won't eat your whole closet in a day!XD lolz so Key is to do something bit by bit, one piece at time?:) then Crossroad card(this is always decision and options for me) meaning to decide about Dog card meaning friendship/to be faithful to someone something?:) and final card is lady representing female frequent so if you asked question for yourself you need to decide that?:) so answer would be; decide about doing small tings one step at the time and be determined about it?:) hope this makes sense to you and show you how you just need to learn how to link basic meanings in context of question you are interpreting!XD lolz :))

That is a good point! Mice won't eat your closet in a day! lol They were a lot of them so I was just thinking they were very hungry! :D LOL

It does! Thank you for taking the time out to answer my question about a reading! You helped me see how they go together, etc. I wasn't sure what to look at. If I were going left to right or what. Then if it was only reading pairs then moving on.

I did order my first lenormand book called The Essential Lenormand: Your Guide to Precise & Practical Fortunetelling. By Rana George.

I'm excited to finally get my hands on an actual book for lenormand. lol I am also excitedly awaiting the Chakra Lenormand. I want to see the lwb. I think I will switch to those once they arrive. So colourful and happy!

Thanks for responding love!! :heart:

Hugs,
BeyondtheVeil

BeyondtheVeil

Genna

Hello! You´ve got so much good advice here from people a lot more experienced than I. I have read Rana George´s book and then Caitlin Matthews. It has a lot of exercises after each chapter, and that really helped. Rana George´s chatty style with examples from her own life really helped too.

Hi love! :heart: Yes I have. Your advice is very helpful also! :thumbsup:

I just ordered The Essential Lenormand: Your Guide to Precise & Practical Fortunetelling. By Rana George

I think I will also order Andy B's book after I finish Rana's. I also like her chatty style and the fact that she doesn't push her personal opinion as "fact" on how you should read, not read, etc. I don't know why so many author's feel like just because they believe something means that everyone else has to believe it also. Those authors I avoid. I always read reviews to weed that out and also to see what people say about the book, etc.

I'm glad to see that you mentioned Rana as that is the first book I purchased on lenormand. lol It arrives tomorrow, so I am super excited!

As for deck,I would buy one I loved, but it is true that you need to see fast what each card means in a GT. Buying an ordinary deck and writing the Lenormand meanings sounds like what I guess Mlle Leormand actually did. But in that case, remove the cards that don´t belong to a piquet deck; 2,3,4 and 5. And remember playing card inserts in Lenormand are read differently than cartomancy with ordinary playing cards. I know most don´t believe Mlle Lenormand came up with the Lenormand deck, but that it was a board deck from 1799 that was the original, but I like think she did. She had the knowledge to do it; she told fortunes in piquet, coffee tea-leaves, eggs, she did the GT. All her papers and things to do with divination were burnt directly after her death.

Thanks for letting me know! I won't add the playing cards then if it is different than cartomancy. I would like to learn that system one day also and I don't want to confuse myself. lol

I did tea leaf readings, but they are always so blunt and I usually don't really understand them until after the fact. I also feel like.. in my case.. the tea leaf readings tell exactly what will happen as opposed to just energies heading that way. I have done two.. got two health readings that I didn't ask for. lol
I guess we run that risk when we are doing readings. lol

I read a lot for myself, but that is more difficult, I find, although you have to do it to practice. I like Caitlin Matthews tip to read for historical persons like Mary, Queen of Scots using 5 card spreads. Also read for the outcome of elections, other news or for fictional characters in books and films. And read for yourself every day, even if it´s one card spreads at first. Write down everything you think the card foretold. Get another a book and give every card two pages.

That does sound like a great idea! :thumbsup: I do that with tarot. Well the elections or how someone will actual do in office.

I just bought my Lenormand Journal yesterday. I already have three pages taken up, but they are of practice readings that I did plus the actual thing that happened or if I was correct with yes/no. So far, I have been correct. It is really weird though because I am still so far away from understanding the lenormand system. lol The questions help and practicing yes/no so that I will know the answers within a couple of days helps also.

Thanks for the tips! I never did a tarot journal but I am liking the idea of my Lenormand Journal. Thanks for your encouragement and help! I really do appreciate it! :thumbsup:

I read 3 cards every morning, 5,7 or 9 in a string if I´m worried about something, and a GT if I´m really worried. I also often do a "portrait" spread; 3x3, where the card in the middle is central.(9 cards). I don´t use the playing card inserts now.
There is one free internet page that gives the meaning of every two card combo; sorry I don´t know how to link to it, and my first deck had a book sold separately; Mysterious Lenormand, that did the same, but now I find two cards can mean many different things. I guess you should not limit yourself to what it says on a page.That are just examples.

I am excited to do those readings also. I am also hoping to learn the cards so that I won't feel like I need to ask any questions and just see what comes up.

I feel the same way with Tarot. When I first started doing practice readings on the boards, I found that I could draw the exact same tarot card three times in a row and it mean three different things. I guess lenormand is the same. That is awesome!

Thanks also for the tip about not limiting to only book meanings or to one only book meaning. I am also finding that some book or website meanings didn't match my reading of what actually happened. Though I have only done about 5 or 6 readings which I assumed since they didn't match the book/website meanings.. they weren't correct. Some did match perfectly. I think this is going to be a very fun divination system. Also very accurate. It will probably be more accurate once I figure out how all of the cards mean and read together.

I`m sorry if I´ve repeated what the others said. I´m sure you will do well.
Love and Light, Genna.

You have done awesome! Thank you so much, Genna for taking the time out to respond and help me! I so appreciate it and I have done most of what you said. :thumbsup: I'm just a bit scared about the larger readings, but I am very excited to try soon.

You are very helpful and have great advice! Please don't be shy about sharing your experiences and advice with others! :heart:

I think we be similar in how we learn as the things you told me have really resonated with the others. The Lenormand Journal was an awesome idea! I don't know why that never popped into my head. Maybe because I never had a tarot one? Anyway.. thank you so much for that! {{{{BIG HUGS}}}}

Brightest Blessings and lots of hugs! :heart:
BeyondtheVeil

BeyondtheVeil

Feedback and Update for this question/reading

I just tried a reading on what someone thinks about not seeing me for awhile. I drew
Birds and Gentleman. I think this means they 'may' talk to me as I drew a clarifier and it was Letter. I read that Birds and Gentleman/man mean talkative man, man in relationship, etc.

The lwb doesn't cover combinations, so that is why I looked it up. The letter means some sort of communication or news. If the news/words written though are bad it means sadness, etc. So my problem is that I get the individual card meaning.. but putting it together doesn't seem to make sense. I also just noticed that the Man is facing away from the birds. {now facing the letter, but the letter wasn't there at first]. So since the Man isn't facing the birds..does that then change the meaning?

I asked what does X think about not seeing me for awhile? It seems like either I got a message about maybe they want to communicate?

I gave you the sample reading so that maybe you could help me figure out if I actually am understanding the reading or if I am only confusing myself. lol From those meanings.. is it clear what system it is based on? Which system would you suggest?

Thanks for responding! :heart:

Hugs,
BeyondtheVeil

Okay.. I am updating this reading to let everyone know how it went. As I told everyone, this was a practice reading to help me connect with the cards.

I asked What does X think about not seeing me for awhile?

X is my Pa :)

I got..... Birds and Gentleman and then clarified it with Letter.

I did in fact hear from X as he called me that night. The Gentleman was of course X, The Birds represented needing to talk or would talk. The letter represented I think 'both" communication. {The birds wanted to call/talk.. the letter meant actual communication}. The Letter also represented an invitation to a birthday dinner. So to me now.. Letter represents an actual communication by any means. {In this specific case it was through the phone} but offered an invitation. So I guess letters can be invitations.

So, yes.. X was definitely thinking about me and wanted to contact me. He did contact me like the birds and letter suggested.

Now I have some extra help in my lenormand journal! I am also going to trust my intuition more on my readings. :thumbsup:

I also did a reading for a family member on if they were going to get a job that they were going for an interview the next day for. I drew lilies and told them yes.

The next day.. they were offered the job! :thumbsup:

I am not so sure if lilies always means yes, but it certainly came out to me as yes for that specific question.

They have another interview tomorrow. I drew a card for them and got anchor. I told them I think this means yes also. We will see :) I do get a feeling that maybe anchor doesn't always mean yes, but for this reading I think it does.

Thanks again for everyone that has helped me with tips and advice! I truly appreciate it. I guess the best way to learn any divination system is to just jump in and do some practice readings to see what the cards mean. Even though I have had some correct/accurate readings.. I know that I am no where close to being comfortable for doing readings for others yet. This is an awesome system and I do think knowing the basic meanings.. like in Tarot.. really do help a reader out.

On to my continued studying and practice! Did I say.. I am loving the Lenormand Divination System! :thumbsup:

Brightest Blessings and Much Thanks to Everyone that helped me!! :heart:

For the new people starting lenormand or needing so help.. I hope this thread will help you also. Feel free to ask your questions here also in a new post and maybe one of these awesome people will help you out also. :)

Hugs,
BeyondtheVeil

BeyondtheVeil

Snowmoon

hi,
if you are confuse, use one card for daily is fine. i think use 2 cards are more difficult, because there might be lots of meanings or just could be a simple meaning..

Hi Sweetie!

Thanks so much for your advice! I agree. I am currently only trying to do one card readings.. usually on yes/no. I sometimes attempt to do two card readings or do one card then do a clarifier for the first card. It is coming along, but I am definitely going to need a lot more practice readings and seeing how they play out before I feel like I actually comfortable with it.

Thanks for responding! :heart:
BeyondtheVeil

zhadee

I sort of understand this, but I was asking in a divination way. It was actually accurate for me. I think if a reader has issues with reading certain questions then that may interfere in actually getting the divination of what a situation will do.
The reason why I don't like that specific question is... I have seen how it feels when somebody asks about your behaviour in a specific situation, and somebody else reads your mind in that specific situation. Though both sides were gentle, it was still quite humiliating.

Once, I've had a reading from a successful professional reader who read in my cards the history of her unhappy marriage. She told me my partner cheated on me, she told me I was too naive to take notice, and she also said my partner would leave me. She also said I should not tell my partner about this because he cannot be trusted.
Of course I told my partner about this reading, and this saved me from becoming paranoid about his behaviour.

cybercat

Looks like your figuring it out. My advice read the book you bought and do not buy another till you have gone threw it and got it down.

I am working threw Andy B book now. It is more to my liking do to a few things but that's personal. I probably will not buy any other book so I can avoid confusion. From seeing a couple of book they all seem to contain spreads and card definitions all from authors point of view. So using and reading more than one Could get confusing.

Quoted from Andy's book which makes a great point.
"You will not be asked to memorise lists; nor will you have to worry about schools’ meanings. There are no such things. Not all readers in Belgium use the Moon for work, just as not all French readers use the Fox. As you will see, the cards are multi-variant, so there is no singular card for employment, et cetera."