More crystal ID help, please?

afrosaxon

Hi all,

I just got some new (to me) cool crystals in an exchange package (thx, Sebavin! :D). I could identify some, but two of them are unfamiliar. Can anyone help?

I've attached pictures (sorry about the quality).

Thx!

T.

Attachments

• DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00542.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC00541.JPG
    DSC00541.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC00543.JPG
    DSC00543.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 142

tarotlyn

...the blue one looks like "sodalite" (but usually has more white in it)
and the black one looks like "hematite"

:heart: tarotlyn

afrosaxon

tarotlyn said:
...the blue one looks like "sodalite" (but usually has more white in it)
and the black one looks like "hematite"

:heart: tarotlyn

Hi tarolyn,

nope...the package contained an actual sodalite and a hematite (I knew those two!). :D

The blue one doesn't have the white that's in sodalite, nor does it have the pyrite (fool's gold) that is in lapis lazuli (plus, it's not bright blue enough for lapis).

The black one is actually a matte off-black: not the pure black of onyx or obsidian (or even black agate), and there are no internal ridges/wavy lines characteristic of an agate (I got one of those in the package, too ; ). Plus, it's not glossy.

Thanks for your help, though!

T.

lark

Possibly Jet for the black stone...it it light in weight?
And I think the other maybe a blue Chalcedony

HearthCricket

The black one looks like Jet.

The blue one is a puzzle! Blue agate or blue quartz, maybe?

BodhiSeed

My guess is that the blue one is a dyed agate (scroll down to "Mixed Color Agate Tumbled Stone"):

http://www.pikespeakrock.com/catalog/Tumbled-Stones-Bags.html

Onyx is often not a "true" black color, so the black one might be that. If it's very heavy, it could be black tourmaline; very lightweight, and it's probably jet; if it has a glassy appearance, it's probably obsidian.

afrosaxon

Thank you all.,

I think the small black one is indeed jet (excellent!) because it's lightweight.

Good guesses on the blue one, but I still don't know (it doesn't have the ridges normally found in an agate).

Oh well...I like it anyway. :D

Thanks again!

T.

SilverCloudedWolf

I have a piece of tumbled blue agate that looks like your stone: it's like water that has had blue ink dripped into it and doesn't have any ridges either.

singerofpeace

The blue stone looks almost certainly dyed... I wouldn't say agate per se, because I can't see if it is banded, and agates are supposed to be banded.

SunChariot

The last one could be hematite. If it is not pure black, but rather has what looks like a "mirrorlike" finish, then that's what it is.

Babs