How much astrology is really necessary?

roppo

IMHO what one really needs in the study of GD astrology is in fact a basic knowledge of the observatory astronomy, not "sun sign astrology". Crowley recognized this and wrote one of his finest libers "BATRACHOPHERENOBOOCOSMOMACHIA" which says first "let the Practicus study the textbooks of astronomy, travel, if need be, to a land where the sun and stars are visible, and observe the heavens with best telescopes to which he may have access. Let him commit to memory the principal facts, and (at least roughly) the figures of the science". I heard some of the modern astrologers cannot tell Jupiter from Saturn in the real nightsky, which is a shame.

cardlady22

Two other points that helped me were:
*Ruler doesn't mean a king/queen; think of the measuring tool. How much of the possible length is being expressed?
*Think of the planet as the Actor and the sign as the Costume/Role. The fall and detriment would be a bad job or mismatched role.

Scion

Y'all knew I was gonna come post, right? :D
Le Fanu said:
Looking at your diagram, it seems that 5 star signs, i.e Aries and Aquarius, don´t have planets. Am I right in this?
Ack! No. The chart on that page is not reflective of even the CONTENT of that page. If you read the text, it explains that only the Sun and Moon rule one sign each and that the other planets rule 2 each. The questions you're asking are about essential dignity. Of the 3 links Cardlady provided above only Renaissance astrology uses traditional dignities (like the GD system) the first two are modern sunsign astrology sites... so contain "improvements" that don't always have analogs to the GD decks. Still, the Renaissance Astrology sites is one of my faves. Chris Warnock is terrific.

Secondarily. Hellenistic astrology is a very specific branch of traditional astrology that is absorbed into the Western magical tradition and evolves. The modern attributions of Uranus and Neptune and Pluto are all POST-sunsign astrology. Ergo they have nothing to do with the Golden Dawn material. But, sorry cardlady, it was not the case that several signs were just rulerless for thousands of years until astronomy "caught up." Saturn is the last planet visible to the naked eye and for our purposes is the final planet in the Golden Dawn system. Sun sign astrology is next to worthless when looking at Astrology in the Golden Dawn decks: it will teach you the symbols and a few terms and not much else.

Le Fanu said:
Do these attributions change? Or are they permanent fixtures?
No. The essential dignities have not changed for several thousand years. The dignities are the dignities. But, obviously, the interpretation of those dignities shifts and different folks introduce subtle variations (decan system, Arabic parts, mundane rulerships, etc). About 100 years ago a theosophical astrologer named Alan Leo lobotomized astrology to make it quick-n-easy for the dingdongs and produced what we think of as modern sunsign astrology: lots of self-help twaddle and little practical content. Lots of affirmations, little prediction. This is what 90% of the world thinks of as astrology, which is a little bit like thinking of all Christians as clinic-bombing xenophobic born-agains.

Le Fanu said:
I pounced on the link to exaltations to see what they are and I see that each planet has an astrological sign "in" it (whatever that means) i.e Venus in Libra. But thinking of the Thoth (Im remembering a diagram in Duquettes´s book) am I right in thinking that the star signs have different planets "in" them which is how the qualities change, i.e Venus isn´t always "in" Libra, it might, one day, have Saturn "in" it which would have different effects?

(this is embarrassing! :D)
Nothing to be embarassed about, but let's start from itch...

Don't start by thinking of the Signs... that is the trap of modern astrology. The Zodiac is geography. It's a path of the sun through artificial bands of 30 degrees each. At NO TIME has the zodiac ever matched up with constellations. Aries is about 1/12th the size of Scorpio. Always has been. The constellations are a mnemonic, not a map. Remember, books were rare and expensive until VERY recently. People memorized things.

So for your purposes, the important thing is that there are 7 planets (planetes means "wanderer") that produce certain effects. And those effects are modified when they are in certain areas of the celestial terrain. In the same way that a flamethrower in an oil field produces a different effect than a flamethrower in the Pacific Ocean. The PLANETS produce the effect. The signs modify them. The planets also affect each other within that terrain for ill or good... So as you say, Venus in Libra produces a different effect that Saturn in Libra, although they are both strong in Libra (Saturn is exalted, Venus rules it). But Saturn and Venus produce very different effects: to start with, Venus is the lesser Benefic, and Saturn the greater Malefic.

The main thing I'll say is that if your "basic astrology primer" is based on Modern sunsign astrology it will confuse you pointlessly. If it uses the outer planets (Neptune, Uranus, Pluto), if it doesn't situate Death in the 8th house, if it favors afiirmation over prediction, then you're getting a highly skewed not superuseful take that has next to nothing to do with the astrological content used by the GD. You can probably get some of the basic ideas... but not many, and not well. You'd be better off reading the articles at Skyscript and Ben Dykes and Robert Zoller's sites. A natal astrology book is pretty much pointless unless you're always doing readings about new births. :) The best book might be something on traditional elective or horary like Frawley's Horary Textbook or Oliviia Barclay's Horary Astrology Rediscovered... Horary is inherently predictive and specific and concrete.

I agree with Zoppo about the need for studying the actual Sky, but I think the bedrock texts of traditional astrology are insanely helpful to the study of GD material, and any esoterica actually. The constellations are not the Signs; that is obvious to anyone who has actually looked at them. We must always remember how much of astrology is based on memorized material and how few opportunities our ancestors had to see clearly and completely the celestial events concerned. It was a vast precise symbolic model that literally defined the way half of the world lived for thousands of years... It's worth studying, as you can imagine... and more entertaining than you might expect.

All this is by way of saying: Astrology is only as necessary as your desire for mastery. I wish I understood the GD astrology better, but the more I study the more I realize they used material that THEY didn't understand very well; they just lucked out by coopting a lot of ancient material they discovered in their libraries. Studying Astrology actively will change everything about the way you read and the results you get. Even if you don't study it consciously, using a GD deck means you're studying it passively. So it comes down to what you want... Do you want to watch a boat, ride in a boat, steer the boat, or build a boat?

cardlady22

Scion said:
sorry cardlady, it was not the case that several signs were just rulerless for thousands of years until astronomy "caught up."

I apologize for the appearance that I meant that. In post #6 I added that the planets travelled backwards, but did not clarify. The word "missing" referred specifically to that Thema Mundi diagram.

Scion

Ah! My bad then. I misread. :bugeyed: sorry about that.

cardlady22

No problem. I have a tendency to ramble and cross back and forth between sites, posts, etc.

Scion

LOL You and me both. :D

Le Fanu

Scion said:

I was kind of half-hoping, half-dreading this!

Scion said:
the Renaissance Astrology sites is one of my faves. Chris Warnock is terrific

Having reread those post better I can now see how the Renaissance astrology info would be more useful for what I want.

Scion said:
]The modern attributions of Uranus and Neptune and Pluto are all POST-sunsign astrology....Sun sign astrology is next to worthless when looking at Astrology in the Golden Dawn decks: it will teach you the symbols and a few terms and not much else

In a nutshell, what exactly is Sun Sign astrology as distinct from the others? I sense from the gist of your post that you use the term perjoratively?

Scion said:
About 100 years ago a theosophical astrologer named Alan Leo lobotomized astrology to make it quick-n-easy for the dingdongs and produced what we think of as modern sunsign astrology: lots of self-help twaddle and little practical content. Lots of affirmations, little prediction. This is what 90% of the world thinks of as astrology

Being a dingdong myself, Im determined to get beyond the lobotomised astrology and see how it helps me understand something which is fascinating me no end, i.e the Thoth...

Scion said:
Nothing to be embarassed about, but let's start from itch...

Don't start by thinking of the Signs... that is the trap of modern astrology. The Zodiac is geography. It's a path of the sun through artificial bands of 30 degrees each. At NO TIME has the zodiac ever matched up with constellations. Aries is about 1/12th the size of Scorpio. Always has been. The constellations are a mnemonic, not a map. Remember, books were rare and expensive until VERY recently. People memorized things.

So for your purposes, the important thing is that there are 7 planets (planetes means "wanderer") that produce certain effects. And those effects are modified when they are in certain areas of the celestial terrain. In the same way that a flamethrower in an oil field produces a different effect than a flamethrower in the Pacific Ocean. The PLANETS produce the effect. The signs modify them. The planets also affect each other within that terrain for ill or good... So as you say, Venus in Libra produces a different effect in Libra, although they are both strong in Libra (Saturn is exalted, Venus rules it). But Saturn and Venus produce very different effects: to start with, Venus is the lesser Benefic, and Saturn the greater Malefic

Thank you so much for that. I think I get that. Love your analogies..

Scion said:
The main thing I'll say is that if your "basic astrology primer" is based on Modern sunsign astrology it will confuse you pointlessly

I suspect it is. The more I look at it, the more I see that the answers I want to help me with the Thoth are not there....

Scion said:
All this is by way of saying: Astrology is only as necessary as your desire for mastery. I wish I understood the GD astrology better, but the more I study the more I realize they used material that THEY didn't understand very well; they just lucked out by coopting a lot of ancient material they discovered in their libraries. Studying Astrology actively will change everything about the way you read and the results you get. Even if you don't study it consciously, using a GD deck means you're studying it passively. So it comes down to what you want... Do you want to watch a boat, ride in a boat, steer the boat, or build a boat?

A bit like the sense I currently have of having to "swallow" so much of what is in the Thoth simply because I don´t have the tools to retrace Crowley´s thought processes and point out possible discrepancies. Im guilty of doing the same as them; buying wholesale the whole package, if you get my drift.

You have pointed me in the right direction before of the best books to ease myself gently into the study or "relevant" astrology for the Thoth. Ive spent a lot of money recently (as you know ;)) and so Im not buying any more books at the moment, but I can see that it is going to be inevitable if Im to understand where the GD astrology came from and what Crowley did with it.

Thank you again for your - as ever - thought-provoking and informative posts.

rif

Scion said:
We'd hoped. :)

Scion said:
The main thing I'll say is that if your "basic astrology primer" is based on Modern sunsign astrology it will confuse you pointlessly. If it uses the outer planets (Neptune, Uranus, Pluto), if it doesn't situate Death in the 8th house, if it favors afiirmation over prediction, then you're getting a highly skewed not superuseful take that has next to nothing to do with the astrological content used by the GD.

What about the more modern GD material that does use the outer planets? Such as associating the mother letter trumps with outer planets. Is that something you disagree with as well? (That's a genuine question, so please don't interpret as argumentative.)

Scion said:
A natal astrology book is pretty much pointless unless you're always doing readings about new births. :) The best book might be something on traditional elective or horary like Frawley's Horary Textbook or Oliviia Barclay's Horary Astrology Rediscovered... Horary is inherently predictive and specific and concrete.

Didn't traditional astrologers also used to do natal astrology? Or are you just referring to the pointlessness you see in modern, post-Leo books?

The main thing missing (for me) from Barclay's book is how to create a chart. Would you consider Barclay a self-sufficient book otherwise? I haven't spent too much time with Ms. Barclay yet. Between work and school, I know I can't do the book proper justice right now. It looks dense with info!

Thanks.