How much astrology is really necessary?

Always Wondering

Since I have been feeling so much better, I haven't sat down to listen to much more of Ben Dykes series. I am going to have to download them on my player so they can go with me.
Then put myself on a long train north to visit my daughter.

AW

nicky

Le Fanu said:
As there seem to be quite a few others setting out on the Thoth journey right now, I wonder where you all are with your astrology studies??

Further along than I am with the color scales - which means not far along LOL

zan_chan

Le Fanu said:
As there seem to be quite a few others setting out on the Thoth journey right now, I wonder where you all are with your astrology studies??

Not very far at all, really. I coincidentally seemed to have ordered the Frawley book on exactly the same day as yourself, so I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Anything else I know so far comes from Duquette and the good posters of this forum :)

thorhammer

nicky said:
Further along than I am with the color scales - which means not far along LOL
Ditto :laugh:I don't think I'll ever understand the colour scales. :D At least I have a solid grounding in Astrology as it's used in this deck, I think.

\m/ Kat

Open Arms

Le Fanu said:
As I'm back to thinking about astrology, I went back to reread this thread as I'd remembered that Scion's & others' posts & questions here were massively helpful for me in beginning to understand where to go with astrology.

I have just ordered John Frawley's The Real Astrology. I'm taking this on my holidays with me to read, scribble in and get to grips with. I was going to get the Olivia Barclay book but, after Scion's observations, thought Frawley might be a more useful for me.

I am still trying to get my head around the BoT before I even THINK about the astrology side. I have a basic rudimentary knowledge and some knowledge of the symbols from when I learned astronomy and astrology in my youth (yes Viriginia - we had paper then!) and I suppose I want to get the overall FEEL for the deck and the system before I start to delve too deep and go off on tangents that lead no where.

nicky

I think it was Scion who referred me to this - it was a helpful cheat sheet

Attachments

• dignites.jpg
    dignites.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 105

Always Wondering

Open Arms said:
(yes Viriginia - we had paper then!)

:laugh: This was the trick for me. I had to write the symbols over and over to learn them.

AW

Le Fanu

My copy of John Frawley's Real Astrology arrived yesterday and I have started reading it. I have to say it is a wonderful, wonderful read so far. Entertaining, informative (and informed), piss-taking, jocular and ironic. I really like his style and you really feel like you're getting to the nub of thinking astrologically.

I don't say I feel like an expert in astrology after reading the first chapter but I feel I have re-orientated myself a little to see what astrology really means. I really look forward to reading the rest. A lot of the expressions I don't know, inevitably. I really could do with a glossary. What it all comes down to is that all astrology books use terms which are never actually explained, except in the kind of books that you don't trust anyway.

I wouldn't say this book is for those "with no prior knowledge" (as the blurb proclaims) but I think this is the best one could hope for in terms of a serious astrology book. I don't need to know how to draw up an astrological chart, just understand the heavens a bit more and that world view. I'm taking it slowly. In terms of the Thoth, it's just a little at a time...

Oh and nicky, I had already saved that cheat sheet from your thread! :)