The Book of the Law Study Group 2.55

cardlady22

I don't have commentaries, etc but this general topic is something I'm always browsing books & the web for! Order and value ~ is this talking about numerological values, correspondences to other systems? Does Crowley set up just the flat 26, or does he differentiate between upper and lowercase letters?

Grigori

cardlady22 said:
I don't have commentaries, etc but this general topic is something I'm always browsing books & the web for! Order and value ~ is this talking about numerological values, correspondences to other systems? Does Crowley set up just the flat 26, or does he differentiate between upper and lowercase letters?

I'm interested in this too CL, I wonder if this ever got done in any meaningful way by Crowley.

Αρσιησισ

In his comment to Liber Trigrammaton Crowley endeavored to draw connections between the trigrams & the english alphabet.

I don't have a link to the comment but here is one to Trigrammaton itself.

http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/Liber27.pdf

If it looks as though anyone might be interested I'll try & find time to post the correlations later tonight.

Grigori

Αρσιησισ said:
In his comment to Liber Trigrammaton Crowley endeavored to draw connections between the trigrams & the english alphabet.

I don't have a link to the comment but here is one to Trigrammaton itself.

http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/Liber27.pdf

If it looks as though anyone might be interested I'll try & find time to post the correlations later tonight.

Thanks Αρσιησισ, that would be interesting. I've never really looked into the I-Ching, but really should! Not sure about correlations with the English alphabet though, 64 and 26 doesn't seem to line up easily.

Αρσιησισ

There are 64 hexagrams in the I Ching & only 8 trigrams, but Liber Trigrammaton isn't based based on the trigrams of the I Ching, rather is it based on the permutations of Tao, Yin, & Yang. In Trigrammaton there are 27 of them: 26 for the letters of the English alphabet, & 1 for the "stops" (Liber Legis, II:54) or 'spaces'.

I'll post those correlations first thing in the a.m.!

Αρσιησισ

(all of these trigrams are constructed traditionally, from the bottom up)

Tao, Tao, Tao = I
Yang, Tao, Tao = L
Yin, Tao, Tao = C
Tao, Yang, Tao = H
Tao, Yin, Tao = X
Tao, Tao, Yang = T
Tao, Tao, Yin = Y
Yang, Yang, Tao = P
Yin, Yang, Tao = A
Yang, Yin, Tao = J
Yin, Yin, Tao = W
Yang, Tao, Yang = O
Yin, Tao, Yang = G
Yang, Tao, Yin = Z
Yin, Tao, Yin = B
Tao, Yang, Yang = F
Tao, Yin, Yang = S
Tao, Yang, Yin = M
Tao, Yin, Yin = N
Yang, Yang, Yang = E
Yin, Yang, Yang = R
Yang, Yin, Yang = Q
Yang, Yang, Yin = V
Yin, Yin, Yang = K
Yin, Yang, Yin = D
Yang, Yin, Yin = U
Yin, Yin, Yin = ( )

Grigori

Αρσιησισ said:
There are 64 hexagrams in the I Ching & only 8 trigrams, but Liber Trigrammaton isn't based based on the trigrams of the I Ching, rather is it based on the permutations of Tao, Yin, & Yang. In Trigrammaton there are 27 of them: 26 for the letters of the English alphabet, & 1 for the "stops" (Liber Legis, II:54) or 'spaces'.

Thanks for all these details Αρσιησισ. I'm a bit lost on the maths still though, I'm not understanding why 27 trigrams, and how these are different than the trigrams of the I Ching.

Obviously its something simple, but I'm too simple to spot it :laugh:

Αρσιησισ

You're welcome!

The trigrams of the I Ching are based on the permutations of Yin with Yang, whereas Liber Trigrammaton is based on the permutations of Tao with Yin & Yang. ;)

Grigori

Ah thanks, that was the obvious bit I was missing :|

I-Ching trigrams are sets of 3 made up with 2 variables, so we get 8 possibilities.
Liber Trigrammaton are sets of 3 made up with 3 variables, so we get 27 possibilities.

Is there some precedence for the trigrams composed of Tao, Yin and Yang, or are these Crowley's invention?