Where to start?

Scion

Open Arms said:
I did a four card pull to see how this deck and I would get along - 2 Swords, The Magus, 6 Disks, 6 Wands which I took as being rather positive.
The Lord of Peace, The Lord of Success and and the Lord of Victory with the Magus?!

:D

I think you're going to be just fine.

Cerulean

Sounds great...and doing my own...

These threads and posts in the Thoth sub-forum and a few card pulls inspired me to use SJ's Via Tarot, (Path of Life) and Crowley's Thoth book to compare with my favorite printing of the Thoth deck.

The comparisons really are
delightful--may try it again with Liber-T and Rohrig sometime.

Thanks for all the thoughtful inspiratation and recommendations.

Cerulean

Professor X

I had the Liber T months before I ever used the Thoth deck.
I must say using the Liber T definitely helped me a LOT with understanding the Thoth,especially since what you learn on it can be carried over. I have found that both decks generally respond to me the same way now. I have done one card readings with the Thoth and then wound up pulling the same card from the Liber T. That just confirms that both decks can be used interchangeably.

Whichever one some one uses just depends on what they feel most drawn to.

To me the Liber T is indeed good but I couldnt imagine not using my Thoth as my primary deck now that I have one. I have a large one and the artwork and colors just speak to me.

Le Fanu

It's important here to echo Scion (and others elsewhere) who have said just dive in with the Book of Thoth.

It amazes me this reputation it has got for being impenetrable. Sure it can be difficult, but with a little concentration I find it perfectly accessible taken a bit at a time. I read it a while back trying to remember everything but now I am curently going through it again. I have put my angst about writing on books to one side and am scribbling, annotating, underlining, cross references with Post-Its all the interesting things I read in it.

Honestly, if you go for the Thoth deck, get the Book of Thoth, throw caution to the wind and write whatever you want all over it, in the margins, on the flyleaves.

There are passages which are so uplifting and lucid, it really is wonderful to read and I can't imagine the deck without it. Nor should I have to!

Aeon418

Le Fanu said:
It amazes me this reputation it has got for being impenetrable. Sure it can be difficult, but with a little concentration I find it perfectly accessible taken a bit at a time.
I think one of the problems is that many people try to read the Book of Thoth from cover to cover. Unfortunately you've got to wade through the theory section in part one first. When I first read it back in the 80's it was like a foreign language to me, and that's what fascinated me so much. That's the way I am. But I can completely understand why some people get a couple of pages in and start thinking, "what the hell is this crap!". They file the book away on the shelf and never go back. I think a better strategy is to dip into the card sections first and get a feel for what's going on. There's always time for the theory once you've got settled and found your bearings.

Le Fanu

Weirdly, I find the theory section at the beginning the most accessible! Once the Atús start, the imagery and symbols start accumulating and being cross referenced and you really have to be on the ball!

It has to be taken a little at a time, in short bursts of acute concentration!

Open Arms

Wonders if there is a copy of " THOTH for Dummies" at the bookstore..

Open Arms

Grigori said:
There's always Duquette :)

Does that count??

Going to try doing single card daily draws and learn the deck while I read my way through the BoT. I can see I will end up with annotations all over it somehow...

sapienza

I think reading DuQuette first makes the Book of Thoth much easier to grasp. But I agree with others, Crowley's writing style is quite engaging and it's not that difficult to read. But DuQuette covers some broad concepts in a way that is very easy for beginners to the system to grasp. It could never replace the Book of Thoth, but they work well together.

I have yet to really connect with the Liber T, although it does intrigue me. My main area of interest is Astrology, and so after reading Scion's post earlier I'm wondering if it might be time to have another look at the Liber T. :)