Art by Lady Frieda Harris (related to Thoth Tarot/Freemasonry)

Cerulean

Here is more detail about the artwork and art by Lady Frieda Harris

There is more description about the three art pieces posted in the previous link
if you scroll through the text and art examples below.

http://www.caduceusbooks.com/occultartgallery/harris/harris.html

I thought a thread with some art images by Lady Frieda Harris and descriptions would be of interest in a specific thread. Hopefully this might be one thread where we can share what we find on her esoteric art and relevant descriptive detail for the forum members who enjoy the art of the Thoth deck.

Cerulean

Always Wondering

Cerulean said:
http://mill-valley.freemasonry.biz/lady-freida-harris.htm

Beautiful pieces and I am glad to see the detail!

Cerulean

With regard to Freemasonry, Lady Frieda Harris was a Co-Mason. Co-Masonry is, in brief, an offshoot of the Theosophical Society that, admits both men and women into Co-Masonic Lodges. Because Co-Masonry operates in breach of the landmarks of the United Grand Lodge of England, by admitting women, it has never been recognized as a regular branch of the society of Freemasons by regularly constituted bodies. Many regular Masons, however, appreciate the history of the Co-Masonic order and the sincerity of purpose and valuable philosophical contributions made by individual members of Co-Masonry, including Lady Harris's renditions of the Tracing Boards.

Ah, this clears some things up for me. I hadn't realized Co-Masonary was connected to the Theosophical Society.

I hadn't seen this link, just the other. Intresting Cerulean, and they are beautiful. Thank-you.

AW

mac22

Cerulean said:
There is more description about the three art pieces posted in the previous link
if you scroll through the text and art examples below.

http://www.caduceusbooks.com/occultartgallery/harris/harris.html

I thought a thread with some art images by Lady Frieda Harris and descriptions would be of interest in a specific thread. Hopefully this might be one thread where we can share what we find on her esoteric art and relevant descriptive detail for the forum members who enjoy the art of the Thoth deck.

Cerulean

Very Nice!!! :D

Mac22

ravenest

Always Wondering said:
Ah, this clears some things up for me. I hadn't realized Co-Masonary was connected to the Theosophical Society.

Its quiet possible that Co-masonry was developed due to the 'vacuum' in the Theosophical society. - A vacuum of hands on working magical ritual that other groups of the time had on offer.

Love the tracing boards, I feel the concept of tracing boards in ritual, and specifically initiaton ritual is sadly dissapearing. Its a very valuible tool, sort of like a tarot card that shows in symbolism the rite one is undertaking.

Many cultures use them, or something similar, all the way from certain neolithic cave painings to Buddhist tankas.

Frieda certainly understood their value.

Lleminawc

She sometimes worked under the pseudonym Jesus Chutney.

That's one thing I've learned today ...

Professor X

Is it just me or is everything she does chilling.

Her artwork is better than damn near everything I have seen.

ravenest

No chills for me ... more a fascination.