Book of Thoth Study Group: Part 1 - Section 2

ravenest

Maybe it is 2 schools of thought?
1. Our current model shows it impossible, therefore it IS impossible (within the 'field' of that model), even though it is demonstrated in 'reality' as possible.
2. Our current model shows it impossible, even though it is demonstrated in 'reality' as possible, therefore our current model is not yet compleatly accurate.

I'd have thought AC would pick 2 ? Perhaps this is one of his 'tricks' or 'blinds'?

Ventrue

actually its the hummingbird that is mathmatically impossible to fly i think....

Fen Windglimmer

Ventrue said:
actually its the hummingbird that is mathmatically impossible to fly i think....

I don't know about the hummingbird, but the bee myth was exploded some time ago;

http://www.iop.org/news/0012i.1

Love and light to all

Fen

Fen Windglimmer

ravenest said:
Hellooo ... (echo)

Well here is a little prod; (p.20) why is it mathmatically impossible to hit a golf ball?
Crowley liked to use golf analogies.

Here he may be referring to something like Xeno's paradox, which apparently disproves any sort of movement at all. Fortunately for us, we pay no attention to the maths, and move hither and thither, from A to B, as we wish.

As the passage indicates, he is railing against those he labels as 'shallow rationalists'. The theory of (Crowley's) tarot, and its attributions is easy to pull apart using cold logic, but the most important piece of evidence that trumps rationalism is, that tarot works. Or so Crowley would claim.

Love and light to all

Fen

ravenest

Moving on to page 23 (oh-oh 23!) there is a discussion on secret titles of trumps. Is this some big initiation secret of the GD (like the trumps correspondence were) or is there another reason for these alternate titles? Why not print them on the cards like the other titles?

Fen Windglimmer

ravenest said:
Moving on to page 23 (oh-oh 23!) there is a discussion on secret titles of trumps. Is this some big initiation secret of the GD (like the trumps correspondence were) or is there another reason for these alternate titles? Why not print them on the cards like the other titles?
These titles come from Book 'T', and so, yes they are, or at least were, part of an initiation secret. They are probably creations of Mathers, and were taken up by Crowley.

Who knows why the names aren't printed on the cards. Aesthetic reasons perhaps?

There is at least one deck that I've seen that does have the names printed on them.

Love and light to all

Fen

ravenest

This thread has gone a bit quiet?
Have we lost interest or momentum?
Maybe I should move it on to the next part where there is a big obvious Crowley mistake ( tut tut! - you must learn to concentrate old boy!)?

(That'll get 'em goin'. }) )

Alta

Yes, I think a group like this needs a bit of momentum. Sorry, I don't feel competant to take the lead here. ravenest, if you want to start up the next section, go ahead. Aeon418, any thoughts on how it should go?

Marion

ravenest

But just before we do .....

[Aeon 418 is on holidays in Ibeza - and he can't stop dancing! }) ]
P. 25 note 2. next Aeon - Maat.

What will this dynamic be as a follow on from Horus?

What is the link between Themis (Gk. ?) and Maat?

Why is Maat the double-wanded one? What type of wands? In what aspect does Maat have these wands? Many gods are depicted with 2 wands, sometimes 3.

I find this a very interesting note, as, while firmly being a Maatian I have heard many Telemites reject this idea, referencing the term to AC's explaination as M.T. of A.A. (Master of the Temple - a magical grade) yet here is a clear reference to the next Aeon being Maat - the Lady of the Balance.

Abrac

Personally, I'm a bit bored of this already. I would like to get into the cards themselves. The Book of Thoth is a book I would like to know and understand much better, but I'm afraid if it gets too heavy right away (as it seems to have become), I will simply drop out. I'm not saying dumb it down so idiots (like me) can get it, but as Marion said, we need to keep it moving so it doesn't become tedious. There are a few here who are more advanced, but I for one wanted to participate in this study because I am NOT advanced. If we stay on the present course, I am afraid what we will end up with is a group of two or three advanced students and the rest dropping out.

Just my two cents.

-fof