"Darker" Deck reccs?

May

HeavensVault said:
I 3rd the vote on the Archeon. I feel it's a dark deck because it reveals what's underneath the issue, or the shadow side, or what's behind the question.

I love archeon. Its so deep and reveals the innermost thoughts, feelings and desires.

Grizabella

caridwen said:
Yes:p It matches my fangs and skeletal frame:D

I agree with the wise sage solitaire in that the Vargo Gothic is not for beginners because it doesn't follow any 'traditional' framework as such and you will not receive any help from the LWB.

However, if you like the artwork, go for it as it's great for intuitive readings and getting in tune with your darker side or a darker side of the situation. One way I like using it is as the shadow side of another deck such as RWS.

You could do a six card spread like this:

Past Present Future using RWS then underneath use the Vargo Gothic to catch what is present but you cannot see. You can do some interesting stuff with it:)

I don't think Dark necessarily means darkly coloured and as far as I'm concerned any deck can signify dark as well as light meanings. It depends how you read.

Now I'm off to eat spiders;)

Well, I spoke thoughtlessly there, I admit. I could have used more diplomacy and tact, but I've had some tiring and stressful stuff going on here and probably should have just kept quiet. :)

However, it really is a good fashion accessory for some, don't you think? It's a beautiful deck artistically and I own one myself. :D

Bat Chicken

And here I thought Cari was going to go eat spiders... ;)

caridwen

Solitaire* said:
Well, I spoke thoughtlessly there, I admit. I could have used more diplomacy and tact, but I've had some tiring and stressful stuff going on here and probably should have just kept quiet. :)

However, it really is a good fashion accessory for some, don't you think? It's a beautiful deck artistically and I own one myself. :D

No problem, I thought it was funny and I'll give you a reading using the Vargo Gothic to prove my point.:D

And here I thought Cari was going to go eat spiders...

That was an exaggeration as I have arachnophobia and hate the little beasts:p

raventepes

If you want a DARK deck, go with the Giger or the Lovecraft.

Sar

May said:
I love archeon. Its so deep and reveals the innermost thoughts, feelings and desires.

Agreed.

And Dante Tarot is a deck to consider as vell.

Little Baron

I don't find the Archeon particularly dark. Or the Bohemian Gothic, from what I have seen so far [will judge that one when I have seen it in it's entire form].

It really depends on what you consider dark. And I am glad that some have acknowledged the 'fashion accessory' side of this question, because there are a lot of 'wannabe' dark decks out there for 'wannabe dark readers'. This, of course, is all fair enough, since we all approach tarot differently and the fun element of that is all part of the experience.

I like the Vertigo, even though I don't own it. I think that it is the parent of many of the ones mentioned - there is one that even has the same title font and borders.

For me personally, the deck I have found darkest [in terms of underlying darkness within me and around me] is the New Orleans Voodoo. It is not a dark deck in that it looks like it has been lifted from Dracula's castle [thank God] but I would say I view it differently to any other I own. It has a power that I can feel. And I try not to abuse the power by using it respectfully and making small offerings to the Voodoo spirits after performing a reading. It is a little different from traditional tarot, but it is tarot, all the same. After delving deeper into it with Grip here, I have found that it is quite readible.

But as I say, darkness has it's own personal perspectives for all of us. If you want to scare your friends with a creepy set of mass-produced cards, then any of the above should satisfy. If you want to explore the darker side of your soul and the souls of others, like Gregory, I would recommend the Savage. However, not everyone likes their dark to be 'that dark', lol. They want it to be a safer shade of charcoal-grey.

LB

Sar

I thin Savage is more about exploring sexuality than it is dark, and the New Orleans Voodoo, I feel one must sacrifise a goat to Loa to use it. :D

Little Baron

Sar said:
Iand the New Orleans Voodoo, I feel one must sacrifise a goat to Loa to use it. :D

Absolutely. I have my own little farmyard at my disposal. :D

LB