Tarot in Movies

Mabuse

Nightmare Alley on DVD

augursWell said:
It doesn't look like Netflix has Nightmare Alley on DVD so I'm not sure where I'll be able to see it again. Turner Classic Movies on cable may be the only place it might show up as it is now probably owned by Turner.
Well amazon.com carries it. Though I have yet to see this film, I was able to view some screen shots on this website.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews14/nightmare_alley.htm

It appears that a RWS deck, or something very similar is used in this film.

tarotbear

My link to Tarot Totes just doesn't work since I think my server does not like their server! I would love to check out their 'Tarot in movies' and 'Tarot on TV' lists. Do they still get updated?

Greywoolfe

No tarot decks as such, but there are tarot references in the film 'Constantine', if you look at it in the right way.

In one sequence, our hero (Played by Keanu Reeves) ventures out on the street at night, and it's a full moon, just after some rain. he looks down to the puddles of water at the kerbside and watches loads of crayfish-like bugs pour out of a drain, before taking the form of a demon. Kinda reminded me of the crayfish on the RWS Moon card.

In another sequence, Reeves tries to contact someones' dead twin sister by holding one of their possessions, and sitting on a chair, placing one foot in a bowl of water, and one on the floor- just like the angel on the RWS Temperance card, or the RWS The Star.

During his climactic battle with Satan, Reeves sacrifices his life, and in a fury, Satan drags his body across the floor. His body comes to rest in the same pose as the RWS Hanged Man...

My family didn't spot these until I pointed them out!!

:T2C

Dream Healer

Tabby said:
I just watched a preview of Monster-in-Law with Jane Fonda and JLO. On the previews they were saying something "Was it in the Cards" and they showed a tarot deck. I didn't catch which one it was because it went by too quickly. But, another movie to see and to see how much tarot is in it.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/stairs-of-gold/

Yeah, it's a deck I own.

ShekinahMoon

Two of Cups said:
No tarot decks as such, but there are tarot references in the film 'Constantine', if you look at it in the right way.

:T2C

Oh wow. I've seen this movie twice and totally missed all of that. I guess I will be looking at this movie a third time :) I read in the Llewellyn's 2006 Tarot Reader about how to look for images of Tarot cards in real life situations. Looking at how someone is standing, or how a group of people are interacting and you can begin to spot the images on Tarot cards. I started doing that today with my mini Rider-Waite deck. Takes people watching to a whole new level.

Amaterasu

There's a Filipino/Philippine-based movie called 'Feng Shui' wherein the lead character's friend reads tarot and predicts the brutal death of one of their friends. It was... funny. xD

The woman was using a RWS deck, if memory serves right.

Oh, and thanks for pointing out the tarot references in Constantine, Two of Cups! I completely missed them when I watched the movie. I think I'll go watch it again sometime. :)

<3 Amaterasu

CelticGirl

Fairawen said:
Well, I think it was the second movie in the series, but these demons (i theform of young-ish guys) are, in the one part, terrorizing this one girl who, earilier in the movie, was giving a reading for her friend. Of course, the Death card showed up in the future. *sigh* And, the demons later kill her sickeningly with her own tarot cards, making them magiclly float, spin around at horrible speeds, then slam into her body. Her face went first actually.

Sorry if someone else responded to this already, but the movie you're talking about is "Sometimes They Come Back....Again". The original "Sometimes They Come Back" is a movie based off of a Stephen King short story (and I really enjoyed that one). But the second one, like you said, was extrememly stupid. :)

ShekinahMoon

zoso said:
Has anyone seen the movie The Red Violin? It's a very good movie starting with a tarot reading and all the transitions are the laying of another card, which brings the whole movie together. Has anyone seen any other movies where tarot is tied in?

I recorded this movie on TiVo the other day because of your thread!! I can't wait to watch it tomorrow.

CelticGirl

psychic sue said:
Dont know if you got it in US but in UK there used to be a programme on years ago called Tales of the Unexpected. They were short dramas with a twist at the end - like the Monkey's Paw type thing.

Anyway, at the beginning, they showed tarot cards revolving in a circle with a woman's silhouette dancing in fire in the middle. One of the cards was the death card - used to scare the wits out of me when I was a kid! I used to hide my face! But the stories weren't really scary, just had a twist you weren't expecting.

Does that show come on still? I wonder if they would ever play it on BBC America, I LOVE that channel! I have never heard of it before, but if I could catch it on BBC America that would be cool. :)

Dean

U.k

Oh yeh i remember the Tales of the unexpected i was only a kid when i first saw that, It was usually on T.v Sunday nights way past my bedtime and i would try to stay up to watch it.

It was sometimes a laugh with those story lines you could never really take it serious, it was based on black humour and had an unexpected twist at the end of each episode. It was abit like another eighties T.v show we had over here called the Hammer House of Horror, that was much better for it's scaryTales.

It's not on T.v anymore it was back in the eighties when i saw it, but you never know it might come back on in the future?

Hi just found The Tales of the Unexpected on DVD
on line shopping at www.buyithere.co.uk

it's a Box-set with 16 episodes.
Also on VHS.