Tarot of Prague - General Comments

TemperanceAngel

maks said:
Thank you Jewel-ry for the warm welcome. Reflections on a card a day would be fun. I have a ToP deck, but not the book. Is it possible to purchase the book separately?
maks check amazon.com or baba_pragues website, you'll find the info there. I must say the book's amazing and I generally don't read Tarot books.

Also people who have books could possibly post from the book for you if you like?

maks

Thanks, Temperance Angel. I'll check the sites out.
Best thoughts,
Maks

Jewel-ry

TemperanceAngel said:
I think it will be something to participate in for the New Year :D

You are right TA, I am hardly getting on AT at all at the moment because that X... word :D The New Year would be a better idea. Anyway, welcome maks, hope you find the book. Its a good read!

J :)

baba-prague

Tarot of Prague book

I'm afraid Amazon don't have the book separately. We only printed enough for the sets, plus a few over. We do sell it from the site (quietly) as we tend to have one or two spares (usually when a set has slightly damaged packaging or we open a set for some other reason - then we sometimes can sell the book alone). The only problem is that it's a large book so we can't discount it hugely as postage is high.

We don't mind if people post bits from the book, as long as no-one scans in the whole thing! (which would be a rather long job in any case!)

Often I have pieces I can add. Recently I have been doing work on both Roma belief and on alchemy, so new facts and associations come up. We are going to be working with a writer in the New Year so hope that then we can get more of the new material either on to the website or into newsletters - with some help this will be easier.

I'll just pass on something that a wonderful woman we met the other day said to us (she is the elderly but still extremely active Professor of Roma Studies at the university here). She was born in Prague and has lived here for 71 years (mostly in the same house where she was born) and she said that EVERY time she goes out, she sees something - an image, or a symbol or a particular statue or carving or view - that she has never seen before. That is SO Prague - the city is unbelievably rich visually, but you have to tune into it to begin to see it. Wonderful place :)

TheLovers2

Maks, hello

Maks, hi and welcome to the ToP Cafe.

I am glad that you're joining us. The ToP Cafe had been going for some time before I started posting, but, I'm glad to now be a part of it.

What I find, as I've stated in another post is that the cards do require a lot of thought when one is seeking revelation about a particular card. That's how it is for me, anyway. They are so in-depth and full of discovery.

You know, Maks, I was thinking, what do you think of posting BEFORE you get your ToP book? You could go simply on intuition and what you already know about "standard" meanings of the cards. That might prove interesting. The book is great, a definite worthwhile addition to your study, but, you wouldn't have to wait before giving us something to chew on in the meantime. :)

Just a thought, ok?
Re: Posting on a card a day - Wow, I don't think I could do that with this deck; I might be able to swing a card a week. I wouldn't want to give what for me would be a cursory posting on a card. They seem to require concentration and there is usually so much to look at. Well, I don't want to be redundant, but, we'll see how things go with the Cafe in the New Year. I would love to see you all manage the card a day, though. Busy, busy, hey, Jewel-ry.

Jewel-ry, you are putting me in mind of someone who sat down to a feast and whose eyes and appetite told her that she could contain more of the goodies before her than her stomach could reasonably hold. :D Yes, I agree that you and Maks and any others that plan to take on the Prague card for a day should wait until things are more settled. Ha.
One more thing. I recently stated that I prefer to post on a card before checking to see what others have written, but, I may have to amend that. I can't post fast enough and that means that I'm not able to partake of the myriad revelations that people are sharing. So . . . well, my reason was that I didn't want to be too influenced by what someone else got. I thought, post first then see how others' views are similar or dissimilar. Well, bunk that!! I'm missing too much. Oh well. At least I'm flexible, huh?

Enjoy your day, everyone.

Soon.

TL2 :TLOVE

maks

Hi, TL2

Good suggestions. For the present, I will post without the ToP book. Also, your suggestion about a card a week does make sense. I have tried posting a card a day in another forum. You are right, it was harder than I thought it would be. I found myself missing days, then weeks. Good insight. Banquets are my downfall!

Maks

baba-prague

TheLovers2 said:
Maks, hi and welcome to the ToP Cafe.

I am glad that you're joining us.

You know, Maks, I was thinking, what do you think of posting BEFORE you get your ToP book? You could go simply on intuition and what you already know about "standard" meanings of the cards. That might prove interesting.

Thanks TL2, and I just wanted to second what you say. I sometimes hang back from posting anything here because I want to simply let the deck speak for itself. Alex and I still get surprises all the time - the cards have a life of their own that we feel goes broader and deeper than our knowledge of them. I don't think we "know" them better than any other serious user. So while the book will give a lot of the background information, and that can add a lot in one way, I think that if you simply go intuitively from the images, you will find a great deal of your own that's of value to this discussion.

Gardener

I think I would like to second the motion for a card a week. A card a day is a lovely thought, but not all lovely thoughts are realistic goals. Would people like to each draw their own card for the week, or is there interest in someone drawing a card and the rest of us posting about that card? Or maybe we could start a "Card A Week" thread? That way we can each draw our own card but we can still comment on each other's draws. I vote for that! And I think baba-prague should join in, with her own weekly draw.

Whaddya'll say?

Sophie

Gardener said:
maybe we could start a "Card A Week" thread? That way we can each draw our own card but we can still comment on each other's draws. I vote for that! And I think baba-prague should join in, with her own weekly draw.

I second that motion, M. Speaker. A card a week thread, very useful. I am enjoying getting to know my Tarot of Prague, but would like to exchange my discovereies - and others - a bit more.

The book is great, btw, full of interesting titbits about Prague and the figures on the cards. I really like the pages given over to "More on..." (Wallenstein, the Golem, etc.). It's not necessary to know all that but I find it illuminates, rather than distracts from, learning to read the cards. But I agree, that getting to know the images without is an imaginative way of approaching the deck. It will whet anyone's apetite for the book, too, such is the welath of artistic and historical detail!

TemperanceAngel

baba with your permission I will post snippets from the book (for those who don't have it!) on the occasion when it arises?

For it is so insightful, it would be a pleasure to share with others!