Do you use special rituals, etc before starting a reading?

WhiteWizzard

Spreading out the deck

I shuffle three times , then spread out the deck evenly before the Querent. Then asking him/her to select the ten cards for the CC, or three cards which ever at the time. Giving maximum control to the Querent to select cards they are drawn to.

ShaktiOm

On the Floor

For whatever reason, I feel a lot more comfortable reading on the floor, with cozy pillows around me. I usually burn some incense or smudge the room with sage beforehand; I live in an apartment building and I feel like this helps clear out any energy I might be picking up from my neighbors.

If I remember, I light a candle.

EveAnna

I don't use a specific place anymore or light candles as I found they distracted me. My favourite place for reading now is a large foot-stool in my living room. I spread my reading cloth over it and its big enough for a CC spread.

Tesseljoan

It depends on the question. If it's something important for me, I'll meditate and focus on the question in a quiet spot where I can't be disturbed. If I do a less serious reading, such as last night when I tried to predict the results for the World Cup finals, I just do it in front of the TV.

lolita

Because i'm in a newbie state of learning tarot, i'm doing 3 card spreads all the time, wherever i am. Without rituals, just shuffle, thanking my inner guide for casting a light on my path, and then i take 3 cards out.

maybe i will do rituals later on my path, when i'm more connected with the cards...

XXX
Tanja

Aquariussalangane

I don't often use special rituals before starting my reading,because I think it doesn't have much help with the reading.

Anerin

I wash my hands before taking deck in them and often I use scented soap. Then I clear the working space (I prefer it to be a table surface). While shuffling the deck I ask the question silently in my head once and name the positions of the chosen spread, sometimes several times. I shuffle cards until my fingertips become very sensitive, and that’s the time the “real process” begins. When I feel the special scent (I can’t explain what it is, perhaps, it’s the scent of deck) it means I close to the end of shuffling, and when it feel right whatever it means, I stop and draw the cards from the top. After the reading I shuffle the deck several times for the used cards to integrate back.

star-lover

i don't do any rituals before a reading - i do belive though that if you do it can make it extra special.and you can get more out of it i guess ..all i do is hold my rose quartz crystal for love and protection and just be sincere in my mind

(not always though)
sometimes i just whip the cards out in desperation lol, ask a question and deal lol
and hope for the best

Red Emma

Rituals

lolita said:
Because i'm in a newbie state of learning tarot ... just shuffle, thanking my inner guide for casting a light on my path ... maybe i will do rituals later on my path, when i'm more connected with the cards...
XXX Tanja

I wouldn't be surprised if purists wouldn't count this as a ritual as well. It's my understanding that rituals help one dip into the subconscious and use its wisdom to understand the cards and their message.

As others have mentioned in this thread, if they don't fit your needs, they can become a distraction.

It sounds as if you've made a good beginning. Best wishes on your journey.

a_shikhs

I normally light a few candles, wear a crystal bracelet or put a few tumbles on my spread cloth, say a small prayer and start the reading. Sometimes when Im really in the mood, I put on soft enya or enigma music, burn an aroma oil and then start the reading. :)