Thoth Deck Printing History

The crowned one

Hello!

Any working links for the printing dates files? Or is there an update to this thread somewhere?

I have been curious about the Llewellyn printed in Hong-Kong deck for a while and I finally found a complete one with advert card to go with my Weiser...

Thanks!

Patrick Booker

Early Thoth on Thin Card Stock

I have a version of the Thoth Tarot that I obtained in the late 1960s, I think. It is on thin card, and the colouring is fainter than the later laminated decks. It measures approximately 13.7 cm x 9.3 cm. I had seen the Thoth images in books, and at the time was disappointed at the quality of the cards and their colouring. I think that this was the only version then available. There is just one card for the Magician/Magus. There is a an extra card with the following address:

Hymenaeus Alpha, Caliph
Ordo Templi Orientis
Box 2043
Dublin, CA 94566

There is no LWB, and the borders are pale blue. It is in a sturdy white box which is open at one side.

I have never taken much interest in the Thoth tradition, but kept the deck for a certain curiosity value. I do have more recent versions, which are professionally produced and show the colours properly - I understand that this was one of the problems when the deck was first printed.

Has anyone seen this deck, or perhaps own it? I am guessing that it might be quite rare now.

Patrick

The crowned one

See below...

Weiser 50K... did not know that... Do you have a idea of numbers for the Llewellyn?

The Llewellyn did it have a Hong-kong and USA version?

RLG

Patrick Booker said:
I have a version of the Thoth Tarot that I obtained in the late 1960s, ...

Has anyone seen this deck, or perhaps own it? I am guessing that it might be quite rare now.

Patrick

Dwtw

You have either a Llewellyn or Weiser white box A or B. A is from Hong Kong and is more rare, B is from the USA and is not so rare, (over 50k of them were printed). A poor rendition of the paintings for sure, but they still fetch around 40 - 100 USD on ebay when they show up.

Litlluw

gregory

I don't think so. I have two white boxes - one NY, from 1969, and one Llewellyn with place of printing unspecified, and neither bears that address anywhere. And the box on both A and B is NOT open at the side; it is a gold inner with a slide off white outer. But yes, pale blue borders.

See TG's comparison table and look at the boxes.

I can't see ANY on the the table with a side opening box.

And the card stock is nowhere NEAR that thin.

Patrick - is your Ace Disks upside down, and is the number 8 missing on your 8 of Cups.

Patrick Booker

Yes, Gregory, on both counts. I had never noticed before. The box is plain, and you can just slide the cards out.

Patrick

gregory

Does the box really open at the SIDE (did you look at the comparison table ?) Those two misprints would suggest a White Box A or B - but the box sounds wrong and neither of mine has that address anywhere. That thread does refer to White Box decks though. I'll ask Lillie about the address...

The crowned one

"Thoth Tarot - Aleister Crowley - Llewellyn Publishing and Ordo Templi
Orientis, Box 2043, Dublin, CA 94566."

Is a listing I found related to "College of Thelema" I had posted a link earlier, it is easy to find without my link though.

gregory

Yes - I saw your link. :*

But the side opening box is a killer... (and I swear my two white box don't have Dublin in the address - though I am not with them just now, so I may have to eat my words next month !)