Tarot of Ceremonial Magic by DuQuette

Grizabella

Is there a study group for this deck. A friend gave me the deck and I'm just wondering if anyone else uses it, if there's a bigger book to it or just the LWB it came with, and whether there's a study group already or if it would fall under the Thoth studies.

Fate seems determined that I'm going to learn Thoth one way or another. :p Okay, so I'm game but do I have to read Crowley? I'm not sure the stuff he wrote will be very clear to me. I'm a quick study but as I've gotten older, some things don't "stick" in my head and I don't learn as fast as I used to.

rwcarter

Griz,

I don't see a Study Group for it over in that forum. Don't think it would be discussed in Thoth cause it's not the Thoth.

There is a larger companion book though:

Tarot of Ceremonial Magick
DuQuette, Lon Milo
Samuel Weiser, Inc, 1995
0-87728-764-3

It's 275 pages.

Grizabella

Thank you very much, Rodney! I'll go look for the book and put it on my wish list at Amazon. :)

earthair

I bought this deck and book just last week :D (See other thread)
However I'm not that impressed by the big accompanying book because 1) it doesn't really discuss the artwork 2) it assumes a lot of knowledge I don't have, so I've also been using the big Israel Regardie 800page Golden Dawn book.

I've managed to avoid reading any more Crowley, and I've been using GD Magical and Temple Tarots of late- much more vibrant, beautiful artwork especially in the pips :)

foolMoon

I have this book, and found that half of the book is also about Ceremonial Magic i.e. Enochian and Goetia Rituals.

I cannot see how the Tarot deck has anything to do with these rituals unless it is used as flash cards for sigils studying, because it has all the sigils drawings on the cards.

So without the deck the book is only doing half of its job, although it still is a good book for Thoth based decks reference.

I may have to decide either get the deck and use it with the book for retuals studies, or sell the book, if I do not go into Enochian and Goetia Rituals.

earthair

I cannot see how the Tarot deck has anything to do with these rituals unless it is used as flash cards for sigils studying, because it has all the sigils drawings on the cards.

Exactly. I was hoping for more unusual magical type things to physically DO with cards, not just use them as flash cards and do Enochian calls. They seem to be more of a learning device. Although they do read well.

mayan

You may have seen this but DuQuette's book on the Crowley deck is -IMO- an excellent introduction (with depth) to the Crowley/Thoth deck. I realize that this thread is about DuQuette's deck and don't mean to hijack.

foolMoon

Tarot of Ceremonial Magick

Unexpectedly, I ended up getting this deck recently purely by chance from a local friend, and am very much impressed with it.

The images and feel of the deck looks totally different from my previous imagination on the deck. The monochrome photos of each cards in the book, doesn't do the justice for the deck in reality.

The colouring of each cards gives and very pleasant feel with fresh energy. Moreover, they are loaded with rich astrological, goetia and enochian symbols, which is great for readings and learning about the tarot with the correspondences.

It is also in good size for shuffling, and the stock is nice not too thick or thin just right with excellent print quality. If anyone is using this deck, would be nice to exchange information about it , and I would ask if a study group could be set up.

Abrac

As others have noted, the book focuses quite about on magic and ritual, not surprising for a deck called "Tarot of Ceremonial Magick." It has a long list of correspondences for each card but doesn't really explain any of the symbolism. It does have a few gems though that probably make it worth having.

rylla

You may have seen this but DuQuette's book on the Crowley deck is -IMO- an excellent introduction (with depth) to the Crowley/Thoth deck. I realize that this thread is about DuQuette's deck and don't mean to hijack.

Understanding A.C. Thoth T was the most useful and helpful book I've ever read about the Thoth tarot. I get that this thread is about another book of DuQuette I'm just mentioning that this one is a real good book and maybe it would be helpful to start reading DuQuette's work with this one.