My First Thoth throw

wildchilde

Okay...I've had the Thoth deck for going on six months! Finally yesterday I did my first throw with it. I have the DuQuette book which has been immensely helpful in "background" understanding, but don't have anything by Crowley. (personally, I wanted to avoid for right now getting "bogged down" in Crowley's personal history, etc)

I thought I was choosing a question so broad that it would expand the possibilities to be able to understand the cards and not get caught up in 'expecting' a specific answer. Basically, it was a general reading for what the Universe had to tell me at this time.

Here's the problem...although I love the artwork on the cards and understand the spread on a basic level, I am completely overwhelmed by all the astrological significance and can't figure out where to go with the reading! When I look at the spread it's like I am looking at infinite possibilities. I'm stuck and don't know what to do! The other problem is, out of six cards, 4 are minors, which seemed strange given the "universal" question.

I guess I should post the cards in case anyone has any insight, but what I would really like to know is how do you use the Thoth without getting so bogged down in all the symbolic meanings in the astrological and kabbalistic references. I want to understand those deeper meanings, but just can't seem to get through them the first time out...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

In order of throw the cards are:
Four of Wands
The High Priestess
Six of Swords
Seven of Swords
The Lovers
Seven of Wands

Lillie

Hi.

If you do get the 'Book of Thoth' you may be surprised how straight forward it is. (for Crowley)
There is not really loads about his life etc, and there are sections you can go to which deal totally with the meaning of the cards for divination, without all the rest of the complications. These are also in the book, but if you take it slowley it turns out to be quite an interesting and informative book.

As for the astro/Kabbalistic associations, if you are not comfortable with them, ignore them for now, perhaps as you get to know the cards better you will be able to incorporate them into your readings in the future.

Alta

I agree with Lillie's comments. Go slow with the reading. Leave it out for a while and gradually look up the cards, the dignities (if you can stand it at this point) and the other asociations. Definitely just work away at it and it will give a satisfying result.

wildchilde

Thanks Lillie and Marion! I appreciate your responses.

This just really threw me for a loop...I thought I was ready for this deck but it is the astrological implications that are blowing my mind, yet I feel like I am doing the reading an injustice if I don't take those into account. I am more comfortable with the kabbalistic structures and find the connection between the tree of life and the astrological houses/degrees fascinating. I guess I just need to focus on the general meanings and work my way into a better understanding of the astrological implications.

Thanks for your support! (ps: Lillie, I do intend to get the Book of Thoth, or at least find an online version to utilize, I just didn't want to start with that to avoid any of the negative connotations others put on Crowley the man...thanks for your vote of confidence!).

mixleplix

how do you use the Thoth without getting so bogged down in all the symbolic meanings in the astrological and kabbalistic references.

Here are some tips that have helped me:
1. Start off with an easy but reliable secondary source like Duquette's book.

2. Get the Book of Thoth, The Vision and The Voice and The Book of The Law (you don't necessarily have to read them all from front to end but they are excellent references when you're exploring the meaning of a particular card or the Thoth system as a whole. I do suggest reading most if not all of the Book of Thoth, however.)

3. Read for yourself or do Internet readings that give you the time and head space to explore the cards both academically and intuitively.

4. Start off with very small spreads. This way you can research each card using multiple sources. If you just absorb information at this stage without trying to piece it together, you'll find that everything you gather will help you in the next step.

5. Write about each card. I've written journals and short stories. My favorite things to write are monologues. Giving the cards a voice has been very helpful for me.

6. Once you're feeling comfortable with the primary sources and the Thoth system as a whole, start exploring astrological and elemental dignities. Elizabeth Hazel's book, Tarot Decoded, is a difficult read if you're new to astrology but it's very informative even though she uses the RWS cycle. It will also clairfy parts of the primary sources that may have previously confused you.

wildchilde

Great stuff, Mixlepix! Thanks for taking the time to respond. I especially like your thoughts in 4 and 5, although each of your gems of advice are wonderful!

I have left the spread laying on my cloth on the table so I can just keep trying to "absorb" throughout the day. And periodically picking up DuQuette's book every now and again to try and grasp the connections a little bit better.

Thanks again, mixlepix and everyone, for your wonderful help and advice!

wizzle

I came to tarot via astrology and Thoth was my deck of choice for a long time.

Regarding the multi-layered symbology of this deck, I'd just say not to fret. The great symbol systems, whether tarot, astrology, alchemy or whatever have a common base. They tend to re-inforce one another. So go with what you know best and is most comfortable. I don't know a whole lot about Kaballah and always ignored those symbols in the Thoth deck.

Your throw is, IMHO, fairly straightforward. I laid your cards out left to right. You've completed a phase or study and want to move on to deeper meanings. Plain old book meanings are no longer good enough and they are causing you frustration. You want to integrate the intuitional with the learned. This is going to take good, old fashioned persistence and energy (7 of wands).

Thoth is a wonderful deck that is likely to draw you into some of the other sysmbol sets. <<grin>> so beware. It's hard to resist.

All the best

p.s. note the absence of pentacles or cups in your throw. This tells me this is all about direction (wands) and learning (swords)

wildchilde

Hey! Thanks, wizzle! Your post really helped me a lot! The astrological implications in tarot have always given me a hard time, I really appreciate your comment about the common base of all the tarot symbology.

Thoth is a wonderful deck that is likely to draw you into some of the other sysmbol sets. <<grin>> so beware. It's hard to resist.

So true! This deck more than any other definitely has made me want to learn the astrological symbology as well as integrate this with the other symbol sets! It will be an interesting journey:)

PS: I did get The Book of Thoth today!