Swords and Wands associations... a different turn on the subject.

Fen Windglimmer

The_Star said:
The intuition, in my opinion, responds more favorably to tarot cards that contain symbolism that communicates both consciously and subconsciously. Waite's deck is rich with astrological and alchemical symbolism.
Yes, there is a lot of different stuff in the deck. I like the Christian symbols and especially all the things about King Arthur. It makes it easy to look at the cards and develop your own intuition.

Fen

The_Star

Mercury...messenger of the Gods

Quote: Fulgor
I've been very happy (scientifically and intuitively) since I worked out that the "essential" attribute of Mercury is Earth, based on its Virgo exaltation." end quote

The Magician is asociated with Mercury and yet utilizes all four elements (wands, swords, cups, pentacles).
Mercury/quicksilver has always been used as a symbol of the mind.
It is my belief that your present pleasant association of Mercury with earth will expand (perhaps) to include all of the elements...and an exponential expansion of your present pleasure!
The Magician (Mercury) creates and manipulates 'earth' (of course) but also the remaining three elements.

The_Star

hurricane....

kilts_knave said:
Have you ever ridden out a hurricane?

Yes! But not in hell. :)

dream mage

The_Star said:
By liberation I mean a complete transcendence of ego and the full and complete restoration of the individual as a 'spiritual entity' who was temporarily 'trapped' in a material context in a lower realm. Waite's deck is a roadmap of human consciousness designed to ultimately restore the creative consciousness (Magician) to its 'original condition' of absolute power and authority over the elements.

I personally believe that true "power" comes not from oppressive power, control, or authority over the elements .... but comes from harmony with the elements. Should some one seek control and power for control and power's sake, they will find it but will still be missing the connection and harmony.

A lot of philosophies teach that true strength and power comes from letting go of one's own ego and integrating yourself with the supreme ego (the elements in harmony). In my research and meditations with the Magician card.... which is the first card in "the Fool's Journey"... the spiritual journey through the tarot that Waite was intending .... I've found that the Magician not only attempts to manipulate the energies around himself, but ultimately manipulates himself.

Sorry for going off on a tangent.

Fulgour

The_Star said:
The Magician is asociated with Mercury and yet utilizes all four elements (wands, swords, cups, pentacles). Mercury/quicksilver has always been used as a symbol of the mind. It is my belief that your present pleasant association of Mercury with earth will expand (perhaps) to include all of the elements...and an exponential expansion of your present pleasure!
Ah, but you see... The Magician is ALEPH and thus "Air-Mind".
Mercury comes along right after Virgo (The Wheel of Fortune)
and is known in Tarot as XI STRENGTH~ in my book anyway ;)

So I will expand my understanding of Mercury, if you will too!

The_Star

change is good...

Fulgour said:
Mercury comes along right after Virgo (The Wheel of Fortune)
and is known in Tarot as XI STRENGTH~ in my book anyway ;)

So I will expand my understanding of Mercury, if you will too!

O.K. - close your eyes while I change. :)
There are 2 Mercuries associated with the tarot:
1) Mercury the planet and
2) Mercury as quicksilver in Alchemy

As a planet Mercury represents the focusing lens of solar power.
As quicksilver mercury represents the potential scattered result that must be reversed... or symbolizes scattered or otherwise unfocused thought(s).
There is some symbolic overlap between the two, but there is also some very different meanings.

The_Star

true power....

dream mage said:
I personally believe that true "power" comes not from oppressive power, control, or authority over the elements .... but comes from harmony with the elements. Should some one seek control and power for control and power's sake, they will find it but will still be missing the connection and harmony.

A lot of philosophies teach that true strength and power comes from letting go of one's own ego and integrating yourself with the supreme ego (the elements in harmony). In my research and meditations with the Magician card.... which is the first card in "the Fool's Journey"... the spiritual journey through the tarot that Waite was intending .... I've found that the Magician not only attempts to manipulate the energies around himself, but ultimately manipulates himself.

(Also) 'true power' comes from merging with the divine flow.
Of course (yes) The Magician also manipulates him/her self! Can you remember any of your past lives?
Note" "manipulate" can be either positive or negative. The manipulation of piano keys can produce great music or noise.
The Magician participates in all of his or her 'manipulations', for good or ill.

Fen Windglimmer

Fulgour said:

I sometimes wonder about this. How do we know it is Aleph?

Love and light to all

Fen

Fulgour

Fen Windglimmer said:
I sometimes wonder about this.
How do we know it is Aleph?
Good :) Question! Thanks!