Crowley in popular culture

SilentBreeze

Aeon418 said:
People who get hung up on Crowley and how he lived his life mistake the messenger for the message. How many times has that happened? :rolleyes:

But do you think all of the rock stars and musicians who wrote about him even knew what the messege was? I bet they didn't.

Aeon418

SilentBreeze said:
But do you think all of the rock stars and musicians who wrote about him even knew what the messege was? I bet they didn't.
Personally I think that most of the rock stars that have linked themselves to Crowley have only done so because he is an icon of rebellion. That fits perfectly with the stereo typical rock and roll life style.

We don't know which Beatle chose Crowley for the cover of Sgt. Pepper. It was more than likely John Lennon. Beyond that no one knows of Lennon's interest in the Beast.

For a time the Rolling Stones were attracted to Crowley after they were introduced to him by the under ground film maker, Kenneth Anger. But I doubt their interest went any further than inspiration for a few well know songs. Sympathy for the Devil?

Jimmy Page of Led Zepplin is an exception. He was seriously interested in Crowley and even went so far as to buy Crowley's old house on the shore of Loch Ness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Page#Occult_Connections

Did anyone else see an interview with Robbie Williams where he claimed that he had read some Crowley? What a joke! :laugh: That has to go in the same basket as Madonna and Kabbalah. Yet another pop stars fad of the moment.

Debra

What "philosophy"?

You know, I don't actually see a philosophy there. What I've read of his seems so after-the-fact, like "Hey! I wanna do things that are scary and exciting and shocking, so, um, here are some reasons, sort of, why scary, exciting and shocking stuff is really the way to go!" That does seem to be the tone of his "I shoot my gun!" adventure.

No question, how we relate to and deal with our "primal urges" is part of our lives, and supplying particular avenues (and denying others) is part of the task of civilization. But "do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" isn't a philosophy.

Voron

Fulgour said:
And what might we find a 21st century "Crowley" doing?
There's so many possibilities, if he stayed out of prison.

Blogging. Shooting off his mouth on bulletin boards. Criticizing the government. Engaging in Deviant sex.

SilentBreeze

This is all very facinating. I just looked up the whole story with Jimmy Page and kenneth anger. Theres also a documentary I found on youtube about crowely.

gregory

youtube stuff worries me. I suspect healthy doctoring.... there is seriously dangerous stuff on there.

SilentBreeze

gregory said:
youtube stuff worries me. I suspect healthy doctoring.... there is seriously dangerous stuff on there.
What do you mean?
well the documentary was off a show on tv...here's the link if you would like.. http://youtube.com/watch?v=E93_N1dXYCg
it comes in 3 parts though. I really enjoyed it although it had an overly negative view on crowley and may have exadurating things in my opinion. If anyone knows of a less biased sorce of information about him, I would like to know.

Alta

Moderator note

Hello,

I have tried to edit this thread, removing what seemed to me to numerous off-topic posts and also some posts that were very directed at other posters.

Please note that when you joined you agreed to abide by the Forum guidelines which include the following:

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum is dedicated to the purpose and the pleasure of sharing knowledge, insight and appreciation of Tarot. To maintain our Forum as an friendly and educational area for everyone, please follow our rules when participating.

We are a Tarot-focused discussion forum for people of varying ages, nationalities, cultures, spiritualities and Tarot beliefs. Please write in clear English, remember your Netiquette, and read over your messages before posting in order to avoid possible misunderstandings.

Play nice while you're here. We ask that you refrain from discussing political topics: having a worldwide membership, we also have a diverse range of political opinion.

No flaming, baiting, insults, or harassment of other members on the forum or via private message. Lack of respect for other members will result in post removal and/or temporary or permanent suspension of all member privileges.
and also:
Tempted to diverge into an unrelated tangent while deep in a thread? Show good manners and move your discussion to a more appropriate place.

Avoid meta-discussion. Instead of talking about the thread or post itself while you're posting in it, stick to talking about the original topic
I am well aware that the creator of the Thoth Deck was controversial, however whatever deeply held opinions you may have, kindly temper your expression of them so that discussions can be fruitful of understanding rather than simply acrimonious.

Marion
Moderator, Thoth Forum

MysticMason

AbstractConcept said:
Mr Crowley by Ozzy Osbourne

A very fine song, indeed, and Randy Rhoads' "Mr. Crowley" guitar solo on Ozzy's live "Tribute" album is hauntingly beautiful.

Voron

Rosanne said:
Very few people cared about his philosophy- they just saw how he acted and then the cycle was complete- they did not care or want to enquire about his philosophy because of how he acted..... so very few cared about his philosophy..... if you get my drift.
Mark 13:14 is also strangely prophetic. ~Rosanne

Which is:
Mark 13:14 (King James Version)
But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

Of course, this parallels Liber AL III:19--
That stele they shall call the Abomination of Desolation; count well its name, & it shall be to you as 718.