Is Art really the Chariot Astrologically?

ravenest

Thanks Aeon and Lily for the clarity, yes that IS what I am on about and sorry everyone else if I confused you. I thought I was being quiet straightforward but the matter seemed to have got confused by wrong insistance.

It might seem a small point to some but really it is a very significant varient and opens up the whole issue of how much and to what extent both Crowley and Harris's imput created the resultant Thoth deck.

Lillie

Does it matter, though?

I like the deck, you like the deck.

But if I found that it was less (or more) crowley than I though, or less (or more) Harris, then would it make any difference to the deck, or to my opinion of the deck?

Isn't it just itself, regardless?

rogue

harris-crowley

I always felt how I think Crowley must have regarding all the monkeywrenches that Harris insisted on throwing into his concept. He must have been furious with her about so many of the cards. He had to to have just said "hell with it, somebody will fix this someday," and declared the project finished just to put it behind him. I mean seriously, has nobody else noticed this? The one example I'll refer to is the fatal flaw on the Hanged Man card. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just look closer at his anatomy. I could see this as being on purpose only if the Hanged Man was for some reason to be considered extremely clumsy. I'll bet that Crowley saw this, threw up his arms, and said "okay, I'm done."

ravenest

Yeah, I agree Lampkin. Except that he might have thrown his arms up and thought the project would never be finished (i.e. cards published, printed and distributed).

Of course that doesnt change the deck as we have it now ... but by having insight into these processes I feel I can understand the deck more. So, yes, the deck is just itself, but beyond this is the whole idea of the various tools AC used to get his message across.

The Thoth tarot is one thing and AC's message another. If a person is more focused on the tool and not what is behind it then of course the tool, as it exists, is primary. If however one is interested in intiating oneself through Crowleys systems then the accuracy and purity* of the tools is more important.

*Purity in the sense of not being corrupted by others interpretations or restrictions

ravenest

I wonder if 'The Book' he meant was ; 'New Age Tarot' by James Wanless (on the Thoth deck)? :laugh:

Aeon418

ravenest said:
I wonder if 'The Book' he meant was ; 'New Age Tarot' by James Wanless (on the Thoth deck)? :laugh:
Or maybe A.E.Waites, The Pictorial Key to the Tarot? If your going to get the Thoth wrong why not do a proper job of it? :laugh: