10 of cups as desires

Reverie

Ok so my "boyfriend" is taking some space from me (he needs a break, he says)- and in my opinion probably to break up because he has too much going on in his life and with his health and our relationship is too much for him at this time.

But when I ask what his "desires" are with me - I get the 10 of cups. I've gotten it consistently in the past few days about his desires with me.

How would you interpret this?

I wish it would mean some sort of reconnecting, but part of me thinks it is just a harmonious ending, or a satisfactory situation (the clarifier was the 9 of cups). The deck I'm looking at is fenestra, so rider waite style, the couple is in an embrace with a rainbow of happy cups above them.

The "his feelings" for me cards tend to be quite cold and distant in nature - such as justice or the king of swords, all swords cards, except for occasionally the ace of wands, which I would interpret to mean he still has a physical longing for me.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

rwcarter

We can't discuss any particular reading associated with the cards (Your Readings is the proper forum for that), but as a repeating card, especially one that you've gotten "consistently in the past few days" it might indicate more of what your desires are than his.

Since you seem to be getting the card "consistently", which indicates multiple readings on the same subject, it also might be the tarot's way of saying, "I answered this question once and I'm not going to answer it again."

As what his desires are though, the card may be indicating that he's realized that he wants a wife and kids some day, but not right now and/or possibly not with you. He also may realize that you want a husband and family and that he either can't or won't be that person for you.

Rodney

Reverie

rwcarter said:
We can't discuss any particular reading associated with the cards (Your Readings is the proper forum for that), but as a repeating card, especially one that you've gotten "consistently in the past few days" it might indicate more of what your desires are than his.

Since you seem to be getting the card "consistently", which indicates multiple readings on the same subject, it also might be the tarot's way of saying, "I answered this question once and I'm not going to answer it again."

As what his desires are though, the card may be indicating that he's realized that he wants a wife and kids some day, but not right now and/or possibly not with you. He also may realize that you want a husband and family and that he either can't or won't be that person for you.

Rodney

Hello, thank you for the feedback!

I meant consistently in the same position. So... not in other readings or in other positions. Just as his desires with me

On second thought, that piece about marriage does make sense, not sure how you pick up that meaning from the 10 of cups (is it really about marriage?) but I know he is looking to get married and have kids... and I am not ready.

Callanish

cutiecutie said:

I meant consistently in the same position. So... not in other readings or in other positions. Just as his desires with me

On second thought, that piece about marriage does make sense, not sure how you pick up that meaning from the 10 of cups (is it really about marriage?) but I know he is looking to get married and have kids... and I am not ready.

The 10 of Cups is, in my opinion, the best card in the deck.
Especially when you are thinking of someone in a relationship.
I like to think of it as the "happily ever after card".
So it's not a card for ending a relationship, very much the opposite.
I see it as a long term relationship card.

I kept getting the 10 of cups when I thought of someone I'd just met.
2 years on we're very happy together and we have a 10 month old son.
We're not married though, but we are a happy little family.

My interpretation of it is just what you've stated his desires are, a stable relationship and family(children).

The swords you've been getting in relation to his feelings will be as a result of him thinking and not feeling.
Justice is weighing up on the scales pro's and con's etc.
(You mentioned "with his health", King of Swords could be a doctor)

Ace of wands is a beginning which I would interpret as a new home or a child!
Occasional ace of wands and re-occuring 10 of cups, may indicate a pregnancy.

LovelyMissAries

cutiecutie said:

Well, if the position is clearly "His desires with me" and you draw the 10 of Cups, then his desires are to have a family with you. Or at least be a couple, as the 10 of Cups means they're fulfilled emotionally. Perhaps he'd like to end the relationship before it gets ugly and messy, leave on a good note (10 of Cups is an ending of a cycle).

rwcarter

cutiecutie said:
I was actually studying that card in the Mythic Tarot today. In more RWS-style decks, a family is shown from the back looking at the 10 cups in the sky - husband, wife and children = marriage and family. So that was based not so much on the meaning of the card but the imagery of it.

Rodney

Fostha

cutiecutie said:
Ok so my "boyfriend" is taking some space from me (he needs a break, he says)- and in my opinion probably to break up because he has too much going on in his life and with his health and our relationship is too much for him at this time.

But when I ask what his "desires" are with me - I get the 10 of cups. I've gotten it consistently in the past few days about his desires with me.

How would you interpret this?

I wish it would mean some sort of reconnecting, but part of me thinks it is just a harmonious ending, or a satisfactory situation (the clarifier was the 9 of cups). The deck I'm looking at is fenestra, so rider waite style, the couple is in an embrace with a rainbow of happy cups above them.

The "his feelings" for me cards tend to be quite cold and distant in nature - such as justice or the king of swords, all swords cards, except for occasionally the ace of wands, which I would interpret to mean he still has a physical longing for me.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
If hes taking a break (and isn't it your chap thats ill and wants to be left alone,if memory serves me correctly?)maybe 10cups as his desires are for you to just be happy at home,put an end to it,don't keep trying to include him,he sees this cycle as ended on a good note (for him anyway,maybe thats why he desires that from you),dont keep trying to include him in any 'happy families' thoughts along with you,this here really isn't what he wants,thats how I'm seeing things anyway. That help.

nisaba

It's a pretty happy, loving card.

BUT ...

Is the card really reading him objectively, since he didn't ask for the reading, or is it reading your hopes for what he feels?

Reading about someone's feelings for you is always tricky, even if you don't have an ethical issue with it. If he had requested the reading himself, he would have consented to it, and thus, it would read him. As it appears he hasn't asked for the reading consent may n ot always be granted by his subconscious - so all the cards would have to go on is how you really hope he feels.

starrystarrynight

In this case, too, cutiecutie, you really have to know the context of your situation (which, from Your Readings, we know isn't the normal, happy Ten-of-Cups-type scenario at the moment.) So, you also have to look at the more negative connotations of this card, as well--especially if you don't regularly read with reversals.

Ten of Cups, reversed: Unhappiness, strife, divorce, arguments, the breakup of a family, etc.

Still, for it to be read that way, it gives me the feeling that this upset could be transitory (it is a ten, after all), and that in order for "family satisifaction" to be disrupted that way, it means, to me, that 1.) it (the love) is there in the first place to be disrupted, and 2.) it could signify that his more negative feelings about you are temporary...whether he knows that or not. Things that are being put on hold may be causing grief and arguments between you, but he doesn't have the energy to do anything different right now.

Just some other possible thoughts on the matter...

Ronia

I'll give you another possibility - an illusional happiness, a rainbow they can not touch, they just stare at it, admire it but it remains a fantasy, a dream. I'd rather prefer the 9 of Cups, honestly. Or the 10 of Pents. I dveeloped some mistrust tot eh 10 of Cups based on my personal experience. If you take it as reversed, it would mean something is missing - the one piece that would make it all fit. If you don't want a family but he does - there you go. The puzzel can not be completed.