10 of cups rx as romantic feelings

TinaV

I agree with the others that the 10 of Cups RX is wanting the happily every after but not being able to act on it and do what it would take to get there at the present time. However of course things could change and the 10 can turn upright and the relationship progresses to the next level.

Paired with the 7 of Cups I read it as someone who doesn't quite know where exactly he wants to invest his emotions pertaining to you. Does he want to invest in a committed relationship? does he want to keep things casual as friends? He doesn't know how to direct his emotions, he sees 7 cups as several possibilities but don't know which cup/direction is the right one to choose. Put that next to the 10 of Cups RX and it says well yes a commitment would be great but I don't have the emotional ability to give that right now. Something is blocking him from being able to adhere to his desire for commitment. Could be a previous breakup or some sort of emotional disappointment in his past.

That makes sense! Thank you, Marsy! That's an interesting perspective; seeing the cups in the 7 of Cups as different directions. I had never considered them like that. It makes sense that the 10 of Cups rx points not knowing in which cup they should invest something. Thank you for the help!

Marsy

That makes sense! Thank you, Marsy! That's an interesting perspective; seeing the cups in the 7 of Cups as different directions. I had never considered them like that. It makes sense that the 10 of Cups rx points not knowing in which cup they should invest something. Thank you for the help!

Glad I could help, you're welcome!

Grizabella

I haven't read all the responses so I might be echoing what others have said.

The 10 of Cups is a card that often pictures a comfortably prosperous extended family just mingling, along with the family dog.

If the 10 of Cups comes up reversed then it could mean someone who has no interest in the big family gatherings or the closely knit extended family who keeps close contact throughout the year. This could be someone who is a world traveler who likes adventures, chooses not to have children, and if this person finds somebody compatible, then it would be someone with those same values. There may come a time later in life when some of that holds more appeal for them, but while young and fit or for whom youthful fitness has carried on into middle age, they just prefer to let life flow on around them while they seek world travel or mountain climbing or whatever it is that keeps them on the move and finding new exciting experiences.

TinaV

I haven't read all the responses so I might be echoing what others have said.

The 10 of Cups is a card that often pictures a comfortably prosperous extended family just mingling, along with the family dog.

If the 10 of Cups comes up reversed then it could mean someone who has no interest in the big family gatherings or the closely knit extended family who keeps close contact throughout the year. This could be someone who is a world traveler who likes adventures, chooses not to have children, and if this person finds somebody compatible, then it would be someone with those same values. There may come a time later in life when some of that holds more appeal for them, but while young and fit or for whom youthful fitness has carried on into middle age, they just prefer to let life flow on around them while they seek world travel or mountain climbing or whatever it is that keeps them on the move and finding new exciting experiences.

Thank you, Grizzabella! That makes a lot of sense. I know this man is a foreigner in our country. He seems to have strong ties with his home country so I wonder why he would date a local woman. From what I understand, he does not make physical moves on Y so I assume it's not for sex (only?). I know there are mental issues in the picture. Autism or something similar at least. He is also planning on moving back to his home country in a year to be closer to his family whom he has had to miss for almost 10 years now. He is even willing to give up his career to spend a year with them. Very confusing situation - and confusing cards!

Thirteen

Family feelings dictate his feeling

I know there are mental issues in the picture. Autism or something similar at least. He is also planning on moving back to his home country in a year to be closer to his family whom he has had to miss for almost 10 years now. He is even willing to give up his career to spend a year with them. Very confusing situation - and confusing cards!
Again, it's not confusing if he's autistic AND comes from a different culture.

Imagine this: you wear a vibrant red dress and expect a guy to say, "Wow!" when you walk out in it. His response is a nice smile but not much more; you wonder "Why isn't he responding?" Turns out he's color blind. He appreciates the cut of the dress, but he can't get "wowed" by that red. He doesn't even know what "red" means. That's what being with someone who is autistic is like. He is literally "blind" to certain social signals. So, he might really like a woman and want to be with her, but be completely blind to the fact that she's flirting with him. She doesn't get any response to her flirting and thinks he's not interested. But it's as if she was smiling at someone who is blind. Someone has to tell him, "She's flirting with you. Do "x" so she knows you're interested." Just like someone would have to tell the color-blind guy "She's wearing an amazing color, tell her how good she looks in that dress."

This inability to recognize certain social signals could be due to autism. Or it could be due to being from a different culture where signals are very different. Autistics are also close to their family and reliant on family (as are people from certain cultures). 10/Cups is all about a close, loving family. But if you reverse that it can indicate a "clan" attitude. Instead of being open and welcoming, it closes off (rx). It also becomes an emotionally controlling family, rather than an emotionally supportive family.

So, whether it is merely his culture, or a mix of autism and his culture, what you're probably looking at is someone who puts the dictates of their "clan" first when it comes to relationships. The 10/Cups rx could easily indicate that this person's feelings towards Y are tempered by his feelings of obedience to his family. Instead of "I like her" he'll feel "my family wouldn't like her" which, to him, means he can only daydream of Y (7/Cups), not court her seriously.

TinaV

Again, it's not confusing if he's autistic AND comes from a different culture.

Imagine this: you wear a vibrant red dress and expect a guy to say, "Wow!" when you walk out in it. His response is a nice smile but not much more; you wonder "Why isn't he responding?" Turns out he's color blind. He appreciates the cut of the dress, but he can't get "wowed" by that red. He doesn't even know what "red" means. That's what being with someone who is autistic is like. He is literally "blind" to certain social signals. So, he might really like a woman and want to be with her, but be completely blind to the fact that she's flirting with him. She doesn't get any response to her flirting and thinks he's not interested. But it's as if she was smiling at someone who is blind. Someone has to tell him, "She's flirting with you. Do "x" so she knows you're interested." Just like someone would have to tell the color-blind guy "She's wearing an amazing color, tell her how good she looks in that dress."

This inability to recognize certain social signals could be due to autism. Or it could be due to being from a different culture where signals are very different. Autistics are also close to their family and reliant on family (as are people from certain cultures). 10/Cups is all about a close, loving family. But if you reverse that it can indicate a "clan" attitude. Instead of being open and welcoming, it closes off (rx). It also becomes an emotionally controlling family, rather than an emotionally supportive family.

So, whether it is merely his culture, or a mix of autism and his culture, what you're probably looking at is someone who puts the dictates of their "clan" first when it comes to relationships. The 10/Cups rx could easily indicate that this person's feelings towards Y are tempered by his feelings of obedience to his family. Instead of "I like her" he'll feel "my family wouldn't like her" which, to him, means he can only daydream of Y (7/Cups), not court her seriously.

Thank you so much, Thirteen! This makes so much sense. I like how you compare the energy of the cards with real-life situations.

This man is from a country not so far from ours. The culture is different but the religion is the same so a couple of elements are retained such as a penchant for beer and the bars. I guess that in his country there is still more of a community feeling than over here. He comes from a large family (7 or 8 kids?) whereas most families over here are rather small with about 2 kids on average. I'm not sure how close families in that country are but the "clan feeling" sounds about right. Being the second youngest, he is probably one of the kids they worry about too given his autism.

All of this makes me think he would rather date a woman from his country because his family may not approve of a local woman from here (just conjecture here.. Not sure how open-minded they are over there). Or at least that's what he may think? Fact is that most of his siblings are abroad in different countries as well because the job market in their country is miserable. I guess only his parents and one or two siblings stayed behind.

When talking about whether there is interest or not, I would say he is definitely interested in this woman though. The lack of communication from his side confuses me - and her - but I guess autism plus his cultural background might explain that. What also comes to mind in relation to autism is not knowing what to do with a woman. I guess the initial pursuit is exciting but once the trophy is in sight, they back off because they never gotten that far or don't know how to behave at that point? Just some additional thoughts that came up while reading your comment. Thanks again!

Marsy

Thank you so much, Thirteen! This makes so much sense. I like how you compare the energy of the cards with real-life situations.

This man is from a country not so far from ours. The culture is different but the religion is the same so a couple of elements are retained such as a penchant for beer and the bars. I guess that in his country there is still more of a community feeling than over here. He comes from a large family (7 or 8 kids?) whereas most families over here are rather small with about 2 kids on average. I'm not sure how close families in that country are but the "clan feeling" sounds about right. Being the second youngest, he is probably one of the kids they worry about too given his autism.

All of this makes me think he would rather date a woman from his country because his family may not approve of a local woman from here (just conjecture here.. Not sure how open-minded they are over there). Or at least that's what he may think? Fact is that most of his siblings are abroad in different countries as well because the job market in their country is miserable. I guess only his parents and one or two siblings stayed behind.

When talking about whether there is interest or not, I would say he is definitely interested in this woman though. The lack of communication from his side confuses me - and her - but I guess autism plus his cultural background might explain that. What also comes to mind in relation to autism is not knowing what to do with a woman. I guess the initial pursuit is exciting but once the trophy is in sight, they back off because they never gotten that far or don't know how to behave at that point? Just some additional thoughts that came up while reading your comment. Thanks again!

Yes I agree he's interested otherwise the 7 of cups wouldn't have shown up, you don't ponder something especially emotionally if there's no interest. However as I stated before he doesn't know what action he should take regarding how he feels about her because there're other variables at play that must be considered, which would explain his silence towards her. He contemplated what could happen if he chooses any of the cups.

Cup #1 friendship only but what if she doesn't want to just be friends then what?
Cup #2 A relationship will make her happy but is it what I truly want?
Cup #3 Okay we have a relationship but what happens when she starts desiring marriage?
Cup #4 Will my family accept her?
Cup #5 How will our kids be raised?
etc. etc. etc. he has to consider what's in the cups before he can come to a decision about her.

Paired with the 10 of Cups RX he can't fulfill the end goal which is marriage & family with her, so he's not going to invest anything aka pick a cup from the 7 of cups. I think if tradition was largely at play here then the Hierophant would have shown up instead of the 10 of Cups RX, which would symbolize he's sticking with his tradition and will not pursue commitment with her. 10 of Cups RX isn't set in stone that he doesn't want a relationship, he just can't decide in what compacity he wants the relationship to be which goes back to him being unable to make a decision with the 7 of cups.

That's how it's still speaking to me.

Thirteen

All of this makes me think he would rather date a woman from his country because his family may not approve of a local woman from here (just conjecture here.. Not sure how open-minded they are over there). Or at least that's what he may think?
That's what he may *feel*. Always keep card position in mind. You drew this for his feelings. Whatever his romantic feelings, they are being held back by feelings that his family might not approve (perhaps), and by his own difficulties with understanding his feelings and expressing them. Have you ever joined a group that have been friends for years, and they're using slang you don't know, and laughing at jokes you don't know? Everyone knows each other, and it's like they're talking a secret language. And to make it worse, they seem to expect you to know all the slang and the jokes. No one explains anything to you. In fact, they're looking at you like you're stupid because you're not getting what they're saying. That's what it's like for an autistic. What are they saying? why are they laughing? Why are they looking at me as if I said something strange?

Now imagine you like someone in that group. You think they like you back, but they seem to be expecting you to say or do something. What? You don't know the slang, the gestures, the jokes. What are they waiting for you to do? How would you feel in that situation? I know how I'd feel. Overwhelmed. Confused. I might even feel: 10/Cups rx. Meaning, I'd feel it was safer to block out those feeling of liking this person, so I wouldn't have to guess at what they want me to say or do, and maybe get it wrong.

If your friend really likes this guy, and is interested in him, then she is going to have to approach him and say so. Because if he's autistic, then he's even more confused than she is. He really doesn't know how she feels about him or what she wants from him or what he should do. He doesn't get the joke. And he's desperate for someone to explain it to him. If she or someone explains what is expected, then the 10/Cups might turn around—and your friend will get what she's after.