Recurring three cards for one subject

lighthousekeeper

Hi

I have just parted ways with someone and as it's very painful I'm going through that slightly obsessive stage where I talk to the cards a lot. I feel very confused because it wasn't the best time for me to ask him a direct 'is this going anywhere' question, but I didn't expect the strong NO that I got back. Up until then I had been interpreting my future-oriented questions as 'Yes a partnership but not now, and much further in the future'. Now since that conversation I'm getting a really different vibe, sensing that it's over.

However the three main cards that keep coming up now are cards I would have originally interpreted as quiet time / healing / patience and so forth. Now I see them in a different light, so I'm wondering if anyone can share some aspects of these cards that I'm not aware of.

The high-frequency cards are Temperance, 6 swords and 9 wands

Usually I would have said Temperance is about soulmates and patience, but now I'm reinterpreting it perhaps more in terms of making peace with myself about the situation, and letting go

6 of swords I have always thought of as moving on, but still sometimes with that someone else, either getting to a better place in your relationship after a break or a period of time, but now it seems to me more of a definite break with the past and leaving a troubling relationship

9 of wands I felt was about patience and healing as well, giving something time and space, possibly hurt after painful words. Now I'm seeing it more in the light of recovering myself, and preparing for a similar maybe but new relationship

Is it possible that both interpretations for each card are correct depending on circumstances? In light of these three cards coming up together, how would you interpret the message of our future? The thing is, I usually expect to see more of the 10 swords and Death etc if it's the complete end, why would I be seeing these instead -- as in what extra message are these cards offering as well as "it's over" (if it is).

rwcarter

Usually I would have said Temperance is about soulmates and patience, but now I'm reinterpreting it perhaps more in terms of making peace with myself about the situation, and letting go
Temperance is about taking two disparate things (the contents of each cup) and mixing them together so that something new is formed. Sometimes the mixture works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the mixture is pleasing, sometimes it's repugnant. Sometimes the mixture is stable, sometimes it's volatile. Sometimes the mixture is temporary, sometimes it's permanent. Sounds like you were immediately jumping to the more favorable consequences of the mixture, while the repeating card might've been warning you to consider the less favorable consequences.

6 of swords I have always thought of as moving on, but still sometimes with that someone else, either getting to a better place in your relationship after a break or a period of time, but now it seems to me more of a definite break with the past and leaving a troubling relationship
I often see the 6S as moving away from a bad situation. I don't know what deck you used, but often there's turbulent water on one side and calm water on the other.

9 of wands I felt was about patience and healing as well, giving something time and space, possibly hurt after painful words. Now I'm seeing it more in the light of recovering myself, and preparing for a similar maybe but new relationship
9W could be saying that you're battered and bruised (hopefully metaphorically since we're talking about a relationship), but that you're soldiering on. You may be beaten down, but you're not beaten.

Rodney

lighthousekeeper

Temperance is about taking two disparate things (the contents of each cup) and mixing them together so that something new is formed. Sometimes the mixture works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the mixture is pleasing, sometimes it's repugnant. Sometimes the mixture is stable, sometimes it's volatile. Sometimes the mixture is temporary, sometimes it's permanent. Sounds like you were immediately jumping to the more favorable consequences of the mixture, while the repeating card might've been warning you to consider the less favorable consequences.

Ah interesting, you know, I only ever considered that the blending was to create a positive thing, being as it's done by an angel and all. Seeing as I don't use reversals I should be taking the negative potential into consideration. I usually leave it up to the cards to be more explicit if a toxic situation is brewing.

I often see the 6S as moving away from a bad situation. I don't know what deck you used, but often there's turbulent water on one side and calm water on the other.

I used RW, so yeah there's turbulence on one side and calm on the other, though not necessarily rough behind and calm ahead... I usually see it as moving away from a bad situation as well though on its own I'm not certain on whether it means the situation itself is going to change, or whether one is moving away from the whole thing.

9W could be saying that you're battered and bruised (hopefully metaphorically since we're talking about a relationship), but that you're soldiering on. You may be beaten down, but you're not beaten.

Rodney

Yes I am but yes it is metaphoric. I'm definitely not staying in bed all day eating chips ..so no I'm not beaten.. just hurt.

I guess as an outcome these cards aren't offering any definite ending, nor any definite future

Trogon

I'd definitely agree with rwcarter on the 6 of Swords and 9 of Wands. But as these cards are coming up in your post-breakup readings I would add something on Temperance. The mixing is, I feel, showing that you are the new substance which resulted from the mixing which is your experience of the relationship. Add in the other cards and I see a message of, yes, you need to move on and take time for your emotions and experience to settle so that you learn the lessons and become the new you, that you need to be. You are no longer the person you were before all of this happened.

JoyousGirl

Ah lighthouse...

Temperance could mean the chemicals of love - love makes us a little crazy, ya know? We don't always see what is there - and maybe the 6 of swords is the 2 sides of the love boat, yet you were only seeing the smooth sailing side of things. Those chemicals the brain releases that makes us think things are something they're not. Maybe you were a little high and fuzzy and didn't notice the unsettled waters. The 9 may mean there's things going to come up and you'll feel a little uncomfortable as you see each of those things that were markers now you're not so fuzzy. You probably let a few abuses go that you shouldn't have because your heart was so in awe.

You're human. It happens.

lighthousekeeper

I'd definitely agree with rwcarter on the 6 of Swords and 9 of Wands. But as these cards are coming up in your post-breakup readings I would add something on Temperance. The mixing is, I feel, showing that you are the new substance which resulted from the mixing which is your experience of the relationship. Add in the other cards and I see a message of, yes, you need to move on and take time for your emotions and experience to settle so that you learn the lessons and become the new you, that you need to be. You are no longer the person you were before all of this happened.

Yeah, move on and the alchemy will create a new mindset, I like it. This is really accurate for my experience and every day I'm waking up and seeing the situation slightly differently. So you're right in that it can't be done at once, time is a big part of it. So perhaps the patience part of Temperance that I'm seeing isn't 'wait and you'll get back together' but more like 'be patient and see things from a different point of view.'

lighthousekeeper

Ah lighthouse...

Temperance could mean the chemicals of love - love makes us a little crazy, ya know? We don't always see what is there - and maybe the 6 of swords is the 2 sides of the love boat, yet you were only seeing the smooth sailing side of things. Those chemicals the brain releases that makes us think things are something they're not. Maybe you were a little high and fuzzy and didn't notice the unsettled waters. The 9 may mean there's things going to come up and you'll feel a little uncomfortable as you see each of those things that were markers now you're not so fuzzy. You probably let a few abuses go that you shouldn't have because your heart was so in awe.

You're human. It happens.
You're right, I read this yesterday and went away and thought about it. Yes of course there were a few off things, but we often let things slide when we're high on that love buzz right... But they're things I never would have let slide from anyone else and kept coming back. So yeah now I understand the 'two sides' of the 6 of swords a bit better, thanks