Feeling left out...

jmd

Let's not feel left out...

after all, would the equivalent title appeal?
  • The Smart Boy's Guide to Tarot: Finally, a Tarot Guide for the Contemporary Man

Diana

Lee said:
I guess men need not apply... :(

I dunno. If some guy wants to outsmart the smart girls, then he may learn something here. Keep one step abreast, in a way.

He can then write a book called: "How to outsmart smart women who have read the Tarot guide for Contemporary women."

(Your deck has appeal even to the non-gays. So are you going to read this book or not?? :D ).

Lee

Re: Re: Feeling left out...

Diana said:
(Your deck has appeal even to the non-gays. So are you going to read this book or not?? :D ).
Good point. But the difference between my deck and this book is that, although my deck is done from a gay male viewpoint, it doesn't say all over it that it's meant to be purchased only by gay men. This book, on the other hand, based on the title, the subtitle, and the blurbs written for it on the Amazon page, is specifically presenting itself as a product for women only.

Actually, I would think this book would be slightly insulting to women, since it implies that women need a book "finally" written just for them before they can begin to understand tarot.

But I suspect the whole reason for the book's existence is to appeal to a very specific audience, that is, young women who are also the demographic aimed at by the "chick lit" novels which are so prevalent now in the bookstores.

-- Lee

Ace

Diana said:
I dunno. If some guy wants to outsmart the smart girls, then he may learn something here. Keep one step abreast, in a way.

Or at least learn a new sex position! ;) but really, are there books called How to tell a bastard by his sun sign? (as the testimonial says!)

Thanks, Lee for letting us about this. Do you get review copies? if so, lucky you! I would love to read this book, but I don't want to pay $12 for it! (Maybe they will have it at Border's on a quiet day...)

Little Baron

Diana said:
"How to outsmart smart women who have read the Tarot guide for Contemporary women."

Hey, I think you are onto something there Diana!

Just looked at the link. I am sure that any smart girls (or boys, for that matter) probably wouldn't pick this one up. Since I have not read it, I may be wrong, but there seems to be so many of these kind of books about. So who is the smart girl? The one that can fit five minutes of tarot study in between work and getting ready for a night out on the town with her mates, lol. I don't think you are being left out of any great secrets here, Lee.

Apologies if this book is anyones tarot bible!

Yaboot

Phantom Goddess

I think it looks kinda funny if you ask me. It might just take a light hearted aproach to tarot. Much like the Born on a Rotten Day/ Love on a Rotten Day books. A laughable yet intelligent look at tarot. I might check it out from the library.

Gwynne

My husband just bought this book for me, thinking I'd like it. He has a tendency to get me silly stuff at times...

But I actually like this one... It's funny, but serious enough to make it's point. She includes real life situations in which she's done readings that came earlier true, she covers all 78 cards in a humorous, but insightful way. It's certainly not a book for everyone, but as far as it being sexist, I think my husband enjoys it more than I do!

Deana

I saw this book at Borders and wanted to read it but not badly enough to buy it. The library had it, so I did read it. I really did like it; I have a feeling I would have liked it even better if I were ten years younger (LOL, I'm 29). I will never look at a Rider Waite 8 of Cups again without thinking of her commentary, "Screw this sh*&!"