2012: Tarot of Ascension

Queen of Disks

Golden Moon said:
2012: Tarot of Ascension is the opposite brother of the Dark Grimoire Tarot. It reminds me of the Bohemiam Gothic and Victorian Romantic Tarot for some reason.

I agree, it's the Dark Grimiore's good twin. I like this very much and will get it when I have money. I feel like there is much more to the story behind this deck that I don't know yet.

Thanks Lillie and Le Fanu!

gregory

That IS interesting. When I have time (after the advancing grand-infants leave !) I shall lay them out together !

alida's P&P is usually very reasonable - ask them ! They always answer emails !

Onyx

I was shocked to find it in a local book store today. It is released and I almost got it.

I would have if I wasn't still recovering from the recent huge number of decks that have come my way.

As a fan of the Dark Grimorie deck I am sure in time I will pick this one up too.

It is available a couple of places in the US.

Onyx.

Manda

I've had it for a couple days but have not done much besides check the cards. I am in the mood for a summery deck but I don't think this fits the bill.

rwcarter

My deck arrived from Amazon today. (I did not do a pre-order, and my estimated shipping date was August 5th, so they've must've come by plane and not boat....)

I ordered 7 decks from Amazon and 6 have arrived. For the most part I have been unimpressed with what I've gotten, but I'm really jazzed by this deck! While so much of what I've gotten this week has just been redrawings of the Rider Waite Smith deck, this deck takes the images and plays with them. No animal companion for the Fool, an apprentice for the Magician, the High Priestess without her hat or pillars, the rapid movement of the Chariot, no scales or sword in Justice, the Hanged Man falling through the air in his traditional position, Death pulling back the curtain of illusion to show outer space and the double Moon and double Sun all offer something new and different to the "traditional" images.

I decided this week that if I saw one more version of a heart pierced by 3 swords that I was going to scream. No need to scream because of this deck! There are 3 swords, 3 people and no heart in sight! :thumbsup: on that one!

I definitely can see using it with the Dark Grimoire for readings. And there's lots of storytelling potential with the images.

I had a glimmer of hope for the LWB when the write-ups for the Cups pretty much jibed with what pictured in the cards. But those hopes were quickly dashed once I got to the Pentacles and Wands. I didn't even finish the Wands or look at the Swords. I looked at the first few Majors and also wasn't seeing the connection between the image and the words. Oh well. It won't be the first LWB that I ignore.

All in all, I think Lo Scarabeo did an excellent job with this deck!

Rodney

shadowdancer

As it is so new by way of release, images seem to be few and far between. I would appreciative if owners would be willing to post a handful of images here from across the suits. It seems a darkish deck so seeing how the cups look will be interesting.

Davina

AngelC

shadowdancer said:
As it is so new by way of release, images seem to be few and far between. I would appreciative if owners would be willing to post a handful of images here from across the suits. It seems a darkish deck so seeing how the cups look will be interesting.

Davina

You do realize that Alida store now shows all cards for their new releases?
This one and the Luis Royo I ching oracle are showing all cards if you click on the link to the deck.

Dusk Till Dawn

AngelC said:
You do realize that Alida store now shows all cards for their new releases?
This one and the Luis Royo I ching oracle are showing all cards if you click on the link to the deck.
Thank you! I didn't know that.

Le Fanu

rwcarter said:
My deck arrived from Amazon today....
Oh goodie, I :heart: these Rodney Reviews!

Of course, I shall buy it. Maybe this month.

But I have a question. I love the Dark Grimoire and there is a density about the drawing which I just love, but I have looked at the scans of this 2012 deck and there is something *sketchier* about Penco's (?) artwork here. As if it was done quicker, with less attention to detail. Rodney, would you say this is true?

Just an impression I have each time I go in to see the scans at alida...

rwcarter

Le Fanu said:
But I have a question. I love the Dark Grimoire and there is a density about the drawing which I just love, but I have looked at the scans of this 2012 deck and there is something *sketchier* about Penco's (?) artwork here. As if it was done quicker, with less attention to detail. Rodney, would you say this is true?
That's a compare and contrast that I won't be able to do until I get home tonight.