"BRuT" A Modern Tarot by Uusi

Uusi

We just wanted to thank all of you who have supported our BRuT tarot on Kickstarter! We had a great first few days and you were a huge part of that. And yesterday we found out our project became a Kickstarter Staff Pick –*woo hoo! Thanks again for all your support and welcoming us into the Tarot community :D

-Linnea

kalliope

I backed the campaign, and am really looking forward to the tarot and poker deck options that I chose.

nicky

woo hoo backed!

theEnigma

Heads up- their campaign ends soon.

mrpants

Looks like they are well over their goal!

Aeric

I received my copy today. What a beauty! Notes when I get home, but on the outset they've made a winner.

Philistine

Oh no! Another beautiful deck I had forgotten about, and now comes the reminding and the re-enabling. And I didn't realize they had included the extra nine "Heavenly Panoramic" cards. Guess I'll be drinking the *cheap* champagne this holiday season. . . .

Aeric

Ok what can I say about BRuT?

I bought the Tarot deck with the extra art cards.

The box is as exquisite as the cards, and I was a bit disappointed to have to break the attractive sun stamp with the words "The Future Enters Us."

The cardstock is flexible but sturdy with a nice matte finish. The fronts are an off-white colour and the backs a slightly darker tan with a recurring symmetrical pattern.

I'm tempted to call this deck the next Wooden Tarot, because every character looks as if they were a picture marvellously assembled from various types and shades of wood. All shades of earth tones are here, from black to honey-brown and everything in between. The Brutalist influence is very evident.

It's not as minimalist as I initially thought. The details are more complex viewed in person: clothing patterns alternate colours, the Sun rays alternate, and even the Hermit's beard is grey shot with white details. The Queen of Hearts holds a flower with different-coloured petals.

There is facial hair, but no faces, leaving you to interpret looks. The Fool is the only borderless card without titles.

I think my favourite card is the most bizarre-looking: Death. It's a skeleton that looks like it was assembled from five different skeletons, with bones out of proportion. The skull is square, the humerus is slimmer than the radius, the hands are huge. The ribs look like fragile wires, and the hips are huge and flaring with massive thighs. The skeleton wears boots and a cape.

The court cards (K, Q, C (for Cavalier) and J) are double-ended and joined by a common middle element, typically a belt. The remaining cards are standard playing cards with pips, except the Aces have 1 instead of A, and the 1 of Spades is a plain, non-ornate pip.

The extra cards are a panorama of an angel with trumpet flying through a sky with sun and moon, quite lovely.

Naturally, you can use this deck for the game of Tarot or for divination. I recommend it to Marseille lovers and art theme collectors. It is simple yet luxurious.

illyria

Thank you for your initial thoughts, Aeric. Mine arrived at my forwarder's this morning, so I should be getting it early next week. It's probably time to delve into TdM tradition again with this deck.