5 decks to start a collection with?

Libra 58

A friend asked me what 5 decks to start a Tarot collection with?
I suggested of course the 3 first in each "form" one Marseille, one Rider-Waite and one Thoth.
And the other 2, one deck that she really likes and one that she don't like at all.

What 5 decks would you suggested?

FLizarraga

I think your suggestion is brilliant, really. :thumbsup:

Well, except for a deck one doesn't like. What would be the rationale for buying that?

oddsoul

Since I consider myself still a beginner, I wouldn't suggest Thoth because it's over my head (though I do own that deck, I have never read with it), and I would find the unillustrated pips of Marseille too intimidating, so I wouldn't suggest that either (though I do like it personally). I just wouldn't read with Thoth or Marseille starting out. But I think it would be cool to have one of each kind!

Personally, I would decks whose art style you connect with. (I still have not gotten a RWS deck because I don't like the artwork much. :/ ) I would suggest something where the imagery is really in your face and another one where it's a bit more subtle. Maybe also a colorful one and a muted one. And a fun, cute one!

Libra 58

I think your suggestion is brilliant, really. :thumbsup:

Well, except for a deck one doesn't like. What would be the rationale for buying that?

I thought that even if you don't like a deck, there is much to learn from that one too.

RiverRunsDeep

Well, I guess it depends on whether this will truly be a "collection", or if these are decks your friend plans on reading with.

For purposes of collecting, I think your idea of a Rider-Waite, Marseille, and Thoth is great! Personally, I feel that everyone should have a Rider-Waite, a Morgan Greer, or an Aquarian; these three are such classics to me. Maybe a historical deck, like the Visconti Sforza or Soprafino. And maybe a "themed" deck that appeals to your friend, dark/gothic, animals, fairies, etc.

Grizabella

Is this person primarily interested in being a collector of decks rather than learning to read cards? I think what you mention would suit a collector, but if someone is wanting to learn to read cards, then I'd suggest she investigate all three of the types of Tarot and then when she's decided which she's drawn to, buy Rider Waite or Universal Waite, or a Thoth or a Marseille for learning and a few she just feels drawn to that will make more sense to her when she's ready to branch out.

illyria

Great suggestions, Libra 58!

I'm an enabling kind of person, so I'd probably gently urge your friend in the direction of rarer (read: not mass market) deck if she had the funds, seeing as she was in a "collecting" state of mind. Maybe something from Magic Realist Press?

FLizarraga

I thought that even if you don't like a deck, there is much to learn from that one too.

Huh. That's actually kind of brilliant as well.

I have learned a lot from decks I don't like and decks I haven't connected with. Sometimes you end up connecting with a deck you first disliked; sometimes you don't. And sometimes you learn that a deck you love for some reason --its beauty or whatever-- is not for you. So I'd say yes in any case. :D

MaryHeather

A Rider-Waite. Thoth. A RWS clone. Something that follows the Thoth correspondences. And one that grabs their attention, regardless of "lineage". Or maybe a Lenormand (gasp!). The only caveat: I'd steer them away from the Doreen Virtue decks.

Marcus R

As a collector/reader I would say the 3 bog standard RWS, Marseille, Thoth. The 4th deck they can pick what they like and the 5th deck is picked by a friend (probably get one they don't like).