5 Positives about Lo Scarabeo decks

Grizabella

I've been critical of Lo Scarabeo decks for years now, turning up my nose at them because I didn't like the borders and the several languages and the fact that they departed from the usual meanings and didn't have good LWB's but now I've decided that I'm going to go in the other direction. Kind of like doing the "blessing lists" we do from time to time.

The only LS deck I own at the moment is the Marco Polo: Journey to the Orient deck.

1. I love the card stock, size and easy shuffling with this deck.

2. I like the art work used.

3. I enjoy being challenged to find my own meanings for certain of the cards, or to figure out how--if he/she did--the artist connected their ideas for the art work with the normal RWS meaning.

4. I like that having this deck has challenged me to explore the legends of Marco Polo, which I've never done before, and some of the history of the lands and people depicted.

5. I like that I'm now expanding my horizons to include exploring some more LS decks. And I like that I'm actually excited about doing that.

OK, anyone else? Let's all see if we can name a LS deck and name five things we like about it. If 5 per deck is too much, just do as many as you can toward that goal.

Lo Scarabeo work hard to produce these decks and Ricardo comes here to research to try to make them better. I think we should give him some extra props because they make good decks, even if there are picky things we choose to see over the good things sometimes.

EarthAngel2911

I've always liked Lo Scarabeo decks. Some of my very favorites are LS: Fey, Animal Lords, Universal Fantasy (which I'm working with right now), Manga, and Mermaids, to name a few.

* The thing I love best about LS decks in general is the card stock. It's the same size from deck to deck, perfect size, durable, easy to shuffle, and nicely laminated.
* And the boxes!! It's so great not to have a lip on the bottom of the box so that when you're putting the cards back in, they don't get tripped up. It's a small thing, I know, but important to me. :p
* And I don't mind the multi-lingual borders. In most decks they're very unobtrusive. However, I do prefer the decks that don't have any titles but rather have the symbols and numbers for each card.

Favorite things about Fey:

* LOVE the artwork and the fact that the meanings follow the RWS but the images do not. It helps you see a different angle to the standard meanings.
* Love having a very workable companion book. It helped me through some of the images I had trouble with.
* And this deck always gave me wonderful readings!

Right now I'm working with the Universal Fantasy for my "One Deck Wonder" exercise.
* The art is very beautiful. I like the way everything flows in the cards; lots of swirls and stuff. :)
* I like the different take on some of the cards. Some don't really follow RWS, so they force me to use my own imagination and intuition to find each card's voice.
* LOVE the colors! (But then I guess that would go with the art...)

Anyway, I know a lot of people knock LS, but I've always preferred their decks to most other publishers mostly for card stock consistency and for variety. There's certainly something for everyone! And if you end up with a deck that doesn't click with you, you can always trade it.

blue_fusion

the art styles used in their decks are really very lovely. and i actually like the "different" way their LWB is written. there are times when i think that some parts have been directly translated (as opposed to transliterated) from italian. but that's the fun in it. it gives new insights to word relationships and meanings, and of course, new angles to card meanings. :)

connegrl

Well, I do actually own a couple of their decks. <gasp>

The card size is near perfect.

No complaints about finish.

Like that Justice is always 8.

Hmmm...can't think of 5.

Jen

Gavriela

Their silver Mantegna is possibly the most beautiful repro deck I own. And the Visconti gold isn't shabby, either!

Little Hare

Thanks for posting this solitare, sometimes i get sad when i see people slagging of LS so much.

I'm currently using the Fey in the one deck wonder experiment...

I love how the fey i.e colours of the cartoons speak to me... they appeal to my pixish nature :p... I like how there drawn , its as if they encompass all of the emotions of nature

:heart:

lilangel09

Hm, I only have the Manga Tarot but I will give it a go!

1. I like the size of the cards, it's narrow enough for my hands to shuffle.

2. I like the odd meanings.

3. I don't particularly like the artwork of the Manga, but I love the art on the Universal Fantasy.

4. I like the borders and the rounded corners.

Abrac

I'm not a huge LS fan, but I do have a few of their decks. The Sola-Busca and Visconti Tarots (Gold) are two of my all-time favorites.

Debra

Did someone tell Ric about this thread? After all the OTHER LS threads, and his patience at dealing with criticisms of LS, I bet he'd like to see this one!
------------------------------------------

I'm looking at the exquisite Golden Tarot of the Renaissance, the Estensi.
------------------------------------------

Stunning images; beautiful reconstruction of a mysterious old deck.

High quality printing; excellent colors and use of gold.

Good card stock; appropriate size and good choice of background color.

Unobtrusive and useful card titles along the sides.

Good packaging reasonable price.

Yellow_Munky

Hmm....well....I have always love Lo Scarabeo decks! ^^ I loved how they don't really overcharge you for each deck, the way the packaged them is so simple and is easy to carry around with you, loved the material they used to make the cards.........there are probably more why I like their decks.....but for now that is all! <(^-^)>

Yellow Munky