Conquering The Court - Page Swords

Sinduction

I will post a new thread to move on to the pents/coins. Feel free to continue this discussion.

I will return later with my own. It's been a busy week for me.

I love the thought of him as a mini Valmont! I love that movie and it is easy for me to see how that could be. I still have to process all of this and make my own conclusion.

willowfox

Enchanted said:
I feel that if you accept Swords as communication... you not only have to accept the active element of communication, such as speaking and writing, you also have to consider the passive elements, listening, watching.

I think that anything to do with reading and writing is down to the Page of pents, afterall he is the paperwork guy.

Sophie

willowfox said:
I think that anything to do with reading and writing is down to the Page of pents, afterall he is the paperwork guy.
I absolutely disagree with that! Anything to do with the intellect - and especially reading and writing - belongs to the Swords. Words, writing, and swords have had a long association. That isn't to say that the Page of Pentacles doesn't study. But he's much more of a dull dog about studying than his page of Swords sister. The type that spends hours writing an essay that takes the Page of Swords a couple of hours...and his motivation is very different. Swords want to communicate, and live for justice, idealism and truth. Pents want to make things real, and work hard at whatever they do to that end.

But we can discuss the difference on the other (page of Pents) thread ;)

Sulis

Fudugazi said:
I absolutely disagree with that! Anything to do with the intellect - and especially reading and writing - belongs to the Swords. Words, writing, and swords have had a long association. That isn't to say that the Page of Pentacles doesn't study. But he's much more of a dull dog about studying than his page of Swords sister. The type that spends hours writing an essay that takes the Page of Swords a couple of hours...and his motivation is very different. Swords want to communicate, and live for justice, idealism and truth. Pents want to make things real, and work hard at whatever they do to that end.

But we can discuss the difference on the other (page of Pents) thread ;)

I'm with Fudugazi, the Page of Pentacles gains practical experience in something so he may learn to read by practicing reading but it's not the actual studying.

The Page of Swords is the intellectual process of writing a book but the Page of Pentacles would be the physical process of doing it...

I reckon it's hard to seperate the two.

Sophie

Sulis said:
The Page of Swords is the intellectual process of writing a book but the Page of Pentacles would be the physical process of doing it...

I reckon it's hard to seperate the two.
Perhaps we can say it like this: the page of Swords values the actual process of reading a book and writing an essay. The Page of Pents doesn't love it - he wants to get something else (something he values) out of reading a book and writing an essay. The Swords page loves the intellectual challenge in and of itself. That's also why he loves a good debate. The Pents page will ask - "what will this book/essay/study activity bring me?" He doesn't value debates that have no practical purpose. He's likely to be a slow sort of swot, too. The Page of Swords doesn't need to swot, because his mind assimilates things so fast.

The Page of Pents writes about Kant if the exam he is taking demands it, and that exam brings him the kind of diploma he wants for the career he has in mind. The Page of Swords will write about Kant for its own sake, and also because it fuels his capacity to communicate ideas. He'll also read all the philosophers who have refuted Kant, and then make up his own mind and write something much more balanced and incisive than what the Page of Pents will have done.

willowfox

So you could say the page swords is up there with the geniuses, the professors and scientists, the people who get that flash of inspiration, that sudden knowing of the answer.

Enchanted

Fudugazi said:
The Page of Pents writes about Kant if the exam he is taking demands it, and that exam brings him the kind of diploma he wants for the career he has in mind. The Page of Swords will write about Kant for its own sake, and also because it fuels his capacity to communicate ideas. He'll also read all the philosophers who have refuted Kant, and then make up his own mind and write something much more balanced and incisive than what the Page of Pents will have done.
This has really given me a light bulb moment, so thank-you! :) Finally, I think I get what the Page of Pents might have actually been trying to tell me all these years! I study like a Page of Swords, for my own sake, because I want to, without any 'practical' purpose for that knowledge in mind. Perhaps the Page of Pents, is saying to me, that I should have a purpose in mind. Urgh, I need time to process this.

Just for the sake of interest, is was quite a coincidence today, that I read in blurb in a magazine somewhat related to this. Apparently, a study has been done by Borders bookshop that takes into account the sun signs of 150 'great' writers and best sellers and found that the sign that was most prelevant was Gemini, with 27. Tieing for second was Aquarius and Virgo, with 14. So Gemini has quite a commanding lead there. Like I said, it was a blurb, so details were slight but I thought that was interesting. Even though, yes I know, sun signs aren't everything. Food for thought though! :)

tantricknite

willowfox said:
Well, I'm not sure about that, it seems that his feet are resting on the ground, perhaps it is just a strange way to depict it.

But, what I was wondering about is why the page is on the very top of a high hill? I know its an air sign but what other reason is there?
Keep in mind that the page of swords also has the element of earth in it. (earth of air) Most of the symbols on the R.W. card point to air (yellow & blue,wind swept trees,birds,hair blowing ect.)The green grassy knoll is what ties this card to earth.

willowfox

tantricknite said:
Keep in mind that the page of swords also has the element of earth in it. (earth of air) Most of the symbols on the R.W. card point to air (yellow & blue,wind swept trees,birds,hair blowing ect.)The green grassy knoll is what ties this card to earth.

Perhaps it also indicates that this page was the result of air and earth mating, the female earth with the male air, conceiving the page who is full of potential energy and creativity.

tantricknite

My concept of court cards is based on how their elemental qualitys combine.Their not archtypes in the sense that the cards represent mytholgical characters or godforms.Their elemental nature alows them to be much more open to interpetation as opposed to a set ideal as expressed by an archtype.Their elemental nature alows them to take on various aspects of the personality which is interpeted by the elemental qualitys of the cards themselves and how they combine and interact with the cards around them.Thus in a reading if the element of fire is dominate amongst the cards that will either heighten or diminish certain personality traits of the courts.How the astrological correspondences interact amongst the cards as well as reversals all effect the force of the courts.Keep in mind that the 16 court cards represent the entire human condition so their interpetation is inifinte and not fixed to a few simple definitions.All of us have the entire court within us and they play out within us all the time.The idea of force and form comes from the Kabbala.The right hand pillar(masculine) is known as the pillar of force and the left hand as the pillar(female) of form.The two pillars represent the two contending Forces of Nature and it is the perfect balance of these poles that create the realities as we know them.I'll use this analogy to show how this concept is applied to the courts.The page of cups is Earth of Water.Earth is the form (body/sensation/appitite).Water is the force (heart/feelings/attraction) It would be like if you had a bath tub (form) and you filled it with water(force).If you turned on the water and didn't have a tub to catch it the water would go all over the place.So you have to have both form and force in order to make the elements usuful.The body of the courts(page,knite,queen,king) is the form and the force is what gives these courts personalitys.It is like a marriage(union) out of which comes creation....