Georgius Gemistus Plethon

Huck

Thanks Mike,

this seems to turn clear, that Plethon really left Italy and that is the best on information, what I've heard in this matter.
And Filelfo seems to know him in person, whereby this might have been just a passing-by visit. It seems to have been possible in August 1439, that Plethon could travel through Bologna, which was not a clear point, since in the second half of 1439 the military battles take a furious turn.

SOAVE/RONCA, SAN FELICE DEL BENACO, GARDA/TORBOLE, MADERNO/BARDOLINO, GAVARDO, SARCHE/TORBOLE, LODRONE, TENNO/CASTEL ROMANO, PORTA SAN FELICE/VERONA, ARCO/RIVA, RODENGO SAIANO

That's all around Brescia and Verona. The armies climb with enthusiasm through the mountains. The probable great interest was the trading way from the Trento to Innsbruck ...
1404/1405 Verona went from Visconti (the Visconti got it 1387) to Venice and Brescia was lost in 1425. The paper prices in Germany were never so high as in this period. So I assume, that the trade was successfully blocked by Visconti's attacks.

With the focus on Brescia and Verona the city Bologna might have had indeed a relative calm time.

Good work, Mike ...

Ross G Caldwell

Thanks for the Woodhouse pages, Mike. The note on page 158 with his sources for the supposed meeting of Filelfo with Gemistos was helpful - most of the books are in the public domain and are online.

It could be that Filelfo met Gemistos in Bologna, but the letter from the edition of Legrand cited by Woodhouse seems to be only a very slim basis for making the assertion that they actually met.

legrandfilelfogemistos1.jpg

legrandfilelfogemistos2.jpg

Here he says, in Legrand's translation, only that "You already inspired me, in Bologna, with love of your virtue and your knowledge. Today you inspire me with the boldness of begging you to write me..."

So what "inspired" Filelfo in Bologna could well be the same thing that inspired him when writing this letter from Milan two years later - namely, Gemistos' reputation, which his writings gave him. In other words, Filelfo could have gotten this esteem for Gemistos through reading something of his that had been brought to Bologna, perhaps the De Differentiis - or something else. Of course Filelfo would have read it in Greek.

Filelfo's itinerary, gleaned through his letters in Greek and Latin (in the editions of Legrand 1892 and his Latin Epistolae respectively), put him in Piacenza on June 12. If I understand him he was on his way back to Bologna - which might have given him the perfect occasion to meet with the three Greeks, Scholarios, Demetrios, and Gemistos, who had left Florence on June 14 (his letters from May 1 to June 8, 1439, are all from Milan, so perhaps he was going back to settle some business in Bologna before relocating permanently in Milan). If so, it must have been pure luck, unless Filelfo had advanced notice of their departure from the Council. In any case I can't imagine Gemistos (or the other two) stayed in Bologna until August. If they met, it must have been briefly, in June.

It is only 100km between Florence and Bologna, and even in those days the journey cannot have taken more than a few days, a week at the most, especially in the summer.

I should note that I see absolutely no reason to think there are any Pletonian Neoplatonic doctrines in the very conventional Tarot imagery. But Filelfo is an interesting and important humanist for this time in Visconti's service, and in 1439 he links Bologna and Milan nicely as a prominent courtier.

I'll give the Greek verse a go at some point, unless somebody has a translation handy.

Legrand's edition of Filelfo's Greek letters, with French translation, is at Gallica, here:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5439025d

A 1485 edition of the Epistolae is at the Universidad de Sevilla here:
http://fondosdigitales.us.es/fondos/libros/292/1/epistolae/
(see pages 45-53 of the web edition)

A more readable edition occurs in a 1743 edition bound together with letters of Coluccio Salutati, on Google Books at:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Z5...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
(go to the second half of the book, letters VI - XII (Lib. III, ep. VI - XII (pp. 129-135)).

Teheuti

Having just returned from BATS, I can't help thinking of how an hour's talk by someone with a fresh, new perspective, or who is doing something really exciting can light a fire and get me moving in directions or reading books I wouldn't have otherwise.

We can't know for sure what the results of this meeting might have been, but Plethon seems the kind of man who got people to consider perspectives that they hadn't entertained before in a way that felt valuable to them. And people continued to talk and consider such perspectives, even if they didn't fully agree with them. Plethon made a difference.

As to directly influencing the Tarot images with Neoplatonic ideas—probably not. It's clear that the images were already part of the culture. It's more like a kind of "ripeness" had developed, of which Neoplatonism was one part, for the spread of such a game that could be viewed through so many different lenses.

MikeH

Sorry I'm so late responding. I was otherwise engaged.

Let’s see. Ross gives us a letter by Filelfo to Plethon of March 1441:
Tu m'as dèja inspiré à Bologna, l'amour de ta vertu et de ton savoir. Tu m'inspires aujourd'hui la hardiesse de te prier de m'écrire: car je ne cesse de désirer une lettre de toi, et cela n'a de ma part rien d'extraordinaire. En effet, si l'âme de l'homme de bien se passionne pour ceux qui ne sont plus, mais qui furent célèbres par leur gloire, combien plus ne dois-je pas t'aimer, toi si illustre par les moeurs et par l'intelligence? Tu m'accorderas donc une faveur des plus agréables, en m'écrivant promptement quelque chose qui soit digne de ton heureuse nature et de mon désir. Il me semblera te voir présent et m'entretenir avec toi, quand je lirai ta lettre fleurie. C'est pourquoi, voulant te fournir un sujet de missive, je n'hésite pas à le demander pour quelle raison le dérivé immédiat d'arete, c'est-à-dire aretaios, n'était pas en usage chez les anciens Grecs. Car tu ne trouverais pas aisément enaretos dans les orateurs, ni dans les philosophes les plus estimés. Le même phénomène s'est produit chez les Latins. En effet, virtus, ui est synonyme d'arete, ne forme pas de dérivé; car l'expression virtuousus n'a pas été employée par les savants, j'entends ceux de l'antiquité. Porte-toi bien, mon père.
“You have already inspired me in Bologna, by the love of your virtue and your knowledge. You inspire in me today the impudence to ask you to write me: for I do not stop wishing a letter from you, and that is on my part nothing extraordinary. Indeed, if the soul of the good man longs for those who are no more, but who were famous for their glory, how much more must I not love you, so illustrious by your morals and your intelligence? You will thus accord me a most agreeable favor, by writing me quickly something that serves your happy nature and my desire. It will seem to me that I am seeing you present and am conversing with you, when I shall read your flowery letter. That is why, wanting to supply your letter a subject, I do not hesitate to ask for what reason the immediate derivative of arete, that is to say aretaios, was not used by the ancient Greeks. Because you would not easily find enaretos in the orators, nor in the most esteemed philosophers. The same phenomenon occurred in Latin. Indeed, virtus, which is synonymous with arete, does not form a derivative; because the expression virtuousus was not used by the scholars, as I understand those of antiquity. Take care, my father.”

Or something like that. In any case, Filelfo is not exactly deep in philosophical discussion. He praised Plethon’s opponent Scholarios as well, earlier. Woodhouse says of Filelfo, on one of the pages I reproduced
His indiscriminate praise of both Gemistos and Scholarios shows that he hardly understood the controversy between them. He was not qualified for profound speculation in metaphysics, though he was an important intermediary between Greek and Latin humanists. (p. 159, http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wuXdEap_k1k/Tk6-YQUgy-I/AAAAAAAADfE/smaZm2w763E/s1600/Woodhouse158.jpg)
Woodhouse’s conclusion doesn’t follow, unfortunately. Filelfo praised Scholarios in March 1439; then he learned more and praised Plethon in August. If he was still praising both by March of 1441, the date of the letter you (Ross) cited, that would show something. Still, I expect that Woodhouse is right.

I scanned the two pages from Woodhouse and put them on the Web because all I could find in Google Books was his first chapter. If anyone knows of more, I’d appreciate the link. The copy of the book that I was using is temporarily inaccessible to me.

I appreciate your careful dating of Plethon’s and Filelfo’s travels, Ross. Woodhouse didn’t actually say Filelfo met Plethon in August, just that it was “shortly” before August 16, but after the Greeks left Florence, “six months” from their arrival there in January. (So I said “around August,” meaning to include the end of July: but June 12 was earlier than I expected.) And Woodhouse didn’t base his statement that they met on the 1441 letter you cited. He based it on the epigram dated 16 August 1439. To decide whether Woodhouse is justified in inferring that there was a meeting between them, it would seem important to have a translation of the epigram, which Legrand didn’t provide. So yes, I think it would be helpful if you translated it sometime. I don’t know Greek (or Latin; the other languages I can decipher with the help of online translation machines).

So far, all we know is that Filelfo expressed great respect for Plethon, whether only from what he’d heard, or from reading De Differentiis sometime after May 1439, or from reading something else, or from meeting him. In any case, he seems to have at least respected Plethon’s integrity and intelligence. It does not mean he embraced Plethon’s radical Neoplatonism. That part might have been of less interest to him.

So I have no idea how much Plethon's Neoplatonism influenced Filelfo; I would guess very little. But I don't think the question of Plethon's possible influence on the tarot is settled. As I said in this thread early on, I see no influence of Plethon in the Cary-Yale. As I have also said, I do see Platonism in the PMB Chariot card; but it didn't take Plethon or even Filelfo for that. There were also, for Plato in Visconti Milan, the Decembrios.

Also, I have no idea why Wikipedia says that Bonifacio Bembo was influenced by Plethon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonifacio_Bembo). I looked in the only reference that article cited, an Italian dictionary of Italian art. I didn’t translate the entry on Bembo (p. 140) word for word, but it certainly doesn’t mention Plethon. As for how Bembo did a tarot deck “whose symbolism reflects his interest in Neoplatonism,” another claim in Wikipedia, I again have no idea, The Chariot card only requires a knowledge of one part of Plato’s Phaedrus, a part already translated into Latin and well known. It seems to me that the "genius of the sun" idea was Aristotelian.

As to Plethon’s influence on the tarot, if any, it might have been sometime after 1460, when Cosimo finally organized his Academy and put the Orphic-hymn-singing Ficino in charge (he was only around five years old at the time of Plethon’s visit), and when the Roman academies or academy-like groups (e.g. Bessarion’s) were formed. It is then that Plethon's influence was the strongest, and also, shortly after, when it was the most actively repressed (by a certain pope). Among tarot decks, I don't see it where I would expect it, in decks associated with Florence. Instead, I would think of the Cary Sheet, which has some rather original imagery, and perhaps an odd card here and there from decks with only one or two surviving cards. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, there is a dearth of tarot examples for the 16th century. In the 17th century, the Noblet and “Chosson” seem to me the most promising candidates (descendants of the Cary Sheet). Just because Plethon didn’t influence the earliest tarot, doesn’t mean he didn’t influence the tarot at all. However this has to be discussed on a card by card level, and with a lot more knowledge of Plethon’s influence than I have.

I love speculating. But before I can speculate on Plethon’s influence or lack of it on the tarot, I have to know more about Plethon’s influence on Italian and other European thought of the times. I have to read more of Woodhouse and Hankins. And there is the material mentioned by Samten, if I can find any of it.

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Mike,

Here's a post in progess, which is still dealing with dates.

Some more background on the timeline.

Since we know that Gemistos left Florence in the company of Demetrios Palaiologos (the Emperor’s brother), it seemed that the movements of such a high profile figure would prove easier to track than those of Gemistos himself. It also seems reasonable to suppose that the octogenarian would travel in the safety and comfort of the cortege of the Emperor’s brother, rather than to strike out on his own at some point. Therefore, Demetrios’ dates would implicitly include Gemistos’.

One primary source for the exact date of the departure of Demetrios, Scholarios, and Gemistos from Florence is Syropoulos, IX, 11. He says, “four days after the death (of the Patriarch), he took himself to Venice … and with him were the eminent doctors Gemistos and Scholarios.”

The date of the Patriarch Joseph II’s death is unanimously given as June 10, which accounts for Angold’s date of June 14 for the departure (Eastern Christianity, p. 77). Joseph Gill, The Council of Florence (Cambridge, 1959, p. 188 n. 4), also mentions the departure and cites Syropoulos IX, 11 as his source – however he gives the date as “25 June 1439”! It seems to be a typo. Gill’s full note is of general interest in any case:

“The [Platonic] Academy was founded only in 1462, but it is Ficino himself who attributes the impulse to Gemistus. Contrary, however, to the commonly stated opinion, Gemistus did not stay on in Florence for some years after the departure of the rest the Greeks: he left with Demetrius and Scholarius on 25 June 1439 (Syr. IX, 11, p. 268; Schol. III, pp. 118, 126).”

The second source Gill cites here is Scholarius, in the edition of L. Petit, X. A. Sidéridès, and M. Jugie, Oeuvres completes de Gennade Scholarius (Paris, 1928-1936), volume III. This is not available to me, but perhaps it is to MikeH or someone else who can look it up.

If Gill’s date is not a typo (on the theory that it is difficult to believe someone could mistake both digits and turn 14 into 25), it may conceivably refer to the date when Demetrios left Italy entirely. If so, they made it to Venice fairly quickly (250km), which would further imply that any stay in Bologna was brief, probably just a single day. This is just conjecture, of course, but the date of departure (June 14) seems secure. Assuming a 12 hour travel day, with 2 hours rest time, at 5 km per hour (too fast?), they could cover 50 km a day. Thus Bologna could be reached comfortably, at that rate, in two days (and Venice in 5 days). I don’t know the quality of the road then, and although it is a low pass through the mountains between Florence and Bologna, it is still hilly terrain, so the going could well have been slower. I assume Gemistos’ age also meant that he could not ride a galloping horse, or even a trotting one, perhaps just a walking one, or even a donkey (or in a cart pulled by any of these). So let’s put the journey at between 3 and 4 days, thus arriving in Bologna (this isn’t proven, but it is probable given Bologna’s position, geographically and intellectually) on June 17 or 18.

Filelfo was in Piacenza on June 12 (known from his own letter of that date from that place), which is 150 kms from Bologna. His journey was completely flat, so he could have made it to Bologna from Piacenza on a trotting/walking horse in two or three days quite easily. That would put him in Bologna on June 15 or later, well enough in time to meet Demetrios' group. He may also have known that Gemistos and Scholarios were going to be there. If Gill’s date of June 25 is a typo and therefore meaningless, the putative Greek stay in Bologna could be a few days or more. If it is not a typo and just a misleading phrasing, then it could not have been more than a day or two.

According to Donald M. Nicol, Byzantium and Venice: A Study in Diplomatic and Cultural Relations (CUP 1988, pp. 379-380), the Emperor left Florence for Venice on August 26. Syropoulos (X, 18) says they arrived in Venice on September 6 (thus their journey averaged 2.1 kph for 12 days at 10 hours travel time per day). The Emperor’s cortege stayed in the area until departing on October 19 for Constantinople, arriving there on February 1 (the date October 19 is Nicol; February 1 for the exact date of arrival is from Sphrantza (also spelled Sphrantzes, Phrantza, Phrantzes), II, xvii).

Ross G Caldwell

And Woodhouse didn’t base his statement that they met on the 1441 letter you cited. He based it on the epigram dated 16 August 1439. To decide whether Woodhouse is justified in inferring that there was a meeting between them, it would seem important to have a translation of the epigram, which Legrand didn’t provide. So yes, I think it would be helpful if you translated it sometime. I don’t know Greek (or Latin; the other languages I can decipher with the help of online translation machines).

My Greek is extremely rusty, but here's an attempt I am just about comfortable with -

ΦΡ. Ο ΦΙΛΕΛΦΟΣ ΓΕΩΡΓΙΩ̨ ΤΩ̨ ΓΕΜΙΣΤΩ̨

Κοίρανε δι̃ε σοφω̃ν, ʹαρετη̃ς ʹέμψυχον ʹάγαλμα,
̀̀ὸς λάμπεις πινυτη̃ Δαναοι̃ς εν ̀άπασι μαθήσει,
ώς ή νυκτιπλανὴς ʹάστροις εν ʹελαττοσι μήνη,
̀ὸ Ψυχη̃ς πέρι Φρανκίσκος μετέγραψε Φιλέλφος,
Βιβλίδιον λάβε. Λιτότατον, νὴ τὸν Δία, δω̃ρον ·
Κούδὲν θαυ̃μα, πάτερ · τὰ τύχης γὰρ πτωχὸς ̀υπάρχω.

αύγούστου 16, ʹέτ. 1439

FRANCESCO FILELFO TO GEORGE GEMISTOS

O Master, wise divine, living honor of virtue,
Which you radiate from understanding in all learning to the Greeks,
Like the Moon in diminishing the stars coursing at night;
Take this little book On the Soul
which Francesco Filelfo has copied. A simple gift, by Zeus,
Not a wonder, father; for I begin these things a beggar of fate.

August 16, year 1439

Legrand thinks Filelfo may have written this at the head of a copy he personally made of Aristotle’s Treatise on the Soul, which seems likely given the allusion to the title of that work, Περὶ Ψυχῆς, in the fourth line.

I'm still not sure this poem sheds any light on whether they actually met (which is a trivial point in any case) - it could be a merely literary relationship. But, there remains the possibility that Demetrios left Gemistos behind, maybe in Bologna, and that he waited for the Emperor's group to come up in late August or early September.

Huck

Ross said:
One primary source for the exact date of the departure of Demetrios, Scholarios, and Gemistos from Florence is Syropoulos, IX, 11. He says, “four days after the death (of the Patriarch), he took himself to Venice … and with him were the eminent doctors Gemistos and Scholarios.”

The date of the Patriarch Joseph II’s death is unanimously given as June 10, which accounts for Angold’s date of June 14 for the departure (Eastern Christianity, p. 77). Joseph Gill, The Council of Florence (Cambridge, 1959, p. 188 n. 4), also mentions the departure and cites Syropoulos IX, 11 as his source – however he gives the date as “25 June 1439”! It seems to be a typo. Gill’s full note is of general interest in any case:

Possibly a confusion caused by the use of different calendars?

"4 days later" might be easily 15th of June and 10 days difference between 15th of June and 25th of June might refer to the date difference caused by the calendar reform of 1582 (in a lot of regions the calendar was changed much later).
As dates often were not given as numbers, but indirectly by Saint names, the "error" might have happened according differences between Orthodox and Catholic day identifications.

Anyway ... nice work to get the details, how Plethon disappeared from Italy.

Btw ... are the details known, when and how Filippo Maria Visconti engaged Filelfo?

MikeH said:
In any case, Filelfo is not exactly deep in philosophical discussion. He praised Plethon’s opponent Scholarios as well, earlier. Woodhouse says of Filelfo, on one of the pages I reproduced

There's the possibility, that the big differences between Scholarios' and Plethon's position
developed in the aftermath of the Florentine council and not immediately during the council.

The return of the Greek delegates to Greece and other regions developed to be a catastrophe, as the negotiated results were not accepted in their home countries. The delegates surely hadn't expected that sharp response ... in the following reality some even had to fear for their lives.
Plethon is said to have been an early critic of the results, but this possibly was perceived as the isolated opinion of an old man by other delegates ... when it turned out, that his critic had a strong base in the population, the emotions about his "early departure" might have been much higher in Greece than before in Italy. Plethon developed a school to teach his opinions ... after the council. Constantinople was taken by the Osmans (1453). In all this "aftermath" a lot of dramatic changes happened, which finally caused, that Plethon's work was considered dangerous and burned.
The fall of Constantinople caused, that Plethon (already dead in 1453) got a final Cassandra role.

One has to see, that the Florentine council couldn't see the future. The actual political situation of 1439 was so, that pope Eugen urgently needed some success ... which he got. Anything turned well for Eugen. A very weak pope, who turned to be successful at the end of his life.
Plethon and his lectures somehow were only part of the "entertainment" during the council. Likely not more. It wasn't expected, that this already very old man still had further active 13 years and a new spring.

Ross G Caldwell

Btw ... are the details known, when and how Filippo Maria Visconti engaged Filelfo?

In a letter to Filippo Maria Visconti, from Siena, 15 July 1438 ("ex Sena Idibus Quintilibus"), Filelfo refers to a letter he received from the Duke 3 days earlier ("tertium Idus Qunitiles") inviting him to work for him.
See Book III, letter XXXVI of the Epistolae
http://books.google.com/books?id=Z5...summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=phoenices&f=false

In letter XLI of this collection (p. 109; 13 September 1438), he explains to Panormita that he is going to Bologna for a semester, which he says is from 1 January to 1 July, and is going to be paid 450 ducats, a salary no one has gotten before. Then he says that afterwards he will go on to Milan.

He writes to Catone Sacco on 13 February, 1439 (Bk. IV, letter III (p. 120)), from Bologna, saying he arrived there on 15 January ("Redditae mihi sunt litterae tuae, Cato mi dilectissime, non Senae, sed Bononiae, quo veneram XVII Kal. Februarias" (Dearest Cato, I received your letter not in Siena, but Bologna, where I arrived on January 15)).

This incidentally shows that when writers say Filelfo was in Bologna for the first six months of 1439, they are referring to what must have been the written contract of the academic calendar year, and not to his actual location. We know he was in Milan for most of May as well, so the lecture schedule seems to have been pretty flexible.

His last letter from Bologna was written to Giovanni Toscanelli, on the Ides of April (13 April), 1439 (Bk. IV, letter V (p. 128)).

His next letter (letter VI (p. 129ff.) is from Milan, written to Alberto Zancario on May 2 (VI Nonas Majas MCCCCXXXIX).

His letters from then through June 8 are from Milan, then he write to Guarnerio Castellioni on June 12 from Piacenza (IV, XI (p. 133), saying he was on his way back to Bologna. He doesn't say why (he is addressing linguistic questions), but of course he was still under contractual obligation with the university.

His next Latin letter is to Friderico (Frederico) Cornelio, dated 15 October 1439, from Pavia (letter XIII (pp. 135-143)). It is a long encomium on his friend's new marriage. He doesn't mention what he was doing during the summer.

In letter XXIX (10 February 1440; to Aloysio Crotto (p. 157)), he says his whole family is now present in Milan. The letters in this volume end on 31 March 1441.

He remained in Pavia/Milan, in Visconti's service, until the latter's death, and even then stayed on in Milan.

The Greek letters, in Legrand, have a gap of a year and a half: there is one from Bologna on 29 March 1439 (no. 12 (pp. 31-34)), and the next is from Milan, 23 September 1440 (no. 13 (pp. 34-35)).

So for our interests, there is a gap in Filelfo's chronology between June 12 and early October, 1439. We only know he was on his way to Bologna on June 12, i.e. in time to meet the Greeks passing through.

Huck

Very well ... actually I expected that this was a little later.

15 July 1438 is rather short after Filippo Maria took Bologna to shock the council in Ferrara. So Filippo Maria lost not much time to take intellectual influence in Bologna and with "450 ducats" he demonstrated high salary for potential pro-Visconti scholars.

Essentially we've in the past observed a coincidence between growing Petrarca popularity (especially for the Trionfi poem) and the appearance of Trionfi cards, which seems to be not accidental. Filelfo got the commission (? or he simply wrote it) to write a commentary to the the Canzonieri (I think, at begin of the 1440's), which much later entered printed Trionfi editions.
Do you get from your material more precise dates, how and when this developed?

Huck

Filelfo got the commission (? or he simply wrote it) to write a commentary to the the Canzonieri (I think, at begin of the 1440's), which much later entered printed Trionfi editions.
Do you get from your material more precise dates, how and when this developed?

Earlier I found this:

The first complete commentary to the Canzoniere is now lost. It was compiled in 1443 by Pietro Lapini da Montalcino for Francesco Maria Visconti, and apparently argued for an allegorical interpretation of Laura. The most important 15th-c. commentary followed in 1444–7, again compiled for the same Visconti; it is by Francesco Filelfo , who has doubts about the acceptability of love as the major theme, and covers only poems 1–135, discussing linguistic difficulties, classical sources, and poetic technique, though he recognizes only sonnets and canzoni, and treats the overall structure of the collection as arbitrary.
from: http://www.jrank.org/literature/pages/17383/Petrarch-Commentaries.html

About Pietro Lapini I wrote here

We had earlier this remark, that young girls read the Canzonieri to Filippo Maria. I think, it was undated. Or ... might it have been in the last years of his life?

Any note from Filelfo about Pietro Lapini would be also interesting.