Can anyone teach me how to read a Grand Tableau?

wolfheart

I just really don't understand how to read the houses and what not. :(

Tag_jorrit

Actually houses are a rather new twist in Lenormand. The GT in Lenormand traditionally is done based on distance -- where the signifier is, relative to the various theme cards (work, family, health,etc.).

GTs can be done basically in 2 ways, past-present-future or more traditionally as a snapshot in time for a specified time period, such as 3 months. That's where distance comes in. The cards alter in their meanings when close or distant to the signifier.

To give you a very basic idea of how the meanings change based on distance, have a look at these original instructions for the Lenormand that used to be included with all the old decks.

I haven't seen a book in English that is devoted to the GT and if you are good at figuring things out you could probably do that using the original Philippe LeNormand instructions.

But if you prefer structure and are interested in a course, this is is an excellent one that is very comprehensive and straight forward and have you up and running in no time.

Lee

I just really don't understand how to read the houses and what not. :(
Hi wolfheart,

The various methods employed by various people for performing a GT reading are generally rather involved, so members here may not be eager to volunteer to write a post explaining them in detail.

Others in this thread have posted good resources. You may also want to take a look at past threads on this subject in our Helpful Threads and Resources (scroll down and check out the "Grand Tableau" and "Grand Tableau - Layout Discussions" categories.

The two recent "mainstream" books on Lenormand - "Essential Lenormand" by Rana George and "Complete Lenormand Oracle Handbook" by Caitlín Matthews - have in-depth explanations of the GT. Both books are paperbacks and are not terribly expensive.

One other note -- methods used by readers are variable. Some readers use some methods, some use others. Two readers who think of themselves as traditionalists might actually use completely different methods.

Sometimes advocates for one method or set of methods speak in absolutist terms, as if there is only one "real" way. In reality there is a lot more flexibility, ambiguity, and arbitrariness going on than some would like to admit. There is no "real" way. I doubt very much that there are many people who would want to read Lenormand exactly the way they were read in the early 1800s, which was basically the distance method alone, without the addition of modern innovations like reading the cards in lines.

In my opinion, the best way to proceed is to take a look at and learn about the most popular methods out there (for example, reading the lines of the horizontal/vertical axis, reading the cards around the significator and subject cards, houses, knighting, mirroring, directionality, distance), then choose just a few of them and practice that way for a while, then add others as you see fit.

You might choose specific methods simply because they appeal to you, or you might choose them on the basis of preference for a particular author or online group. In either case, I think it's a good idea to expose yourself to the viewpoints of different people, authors, and/or groups, then choose your methods and work on them for a while before adding others.

danielnogo

Hey I just wanted to chime in, I agree with everyone else, but I did want to say nobody will be able to teach you how to do a grand tableau in a couple of forum post, it's pretty complex. The best way to start is by doing 9 card readings, then once you have mastered those, a grand tableau is the next step. I would recommend checking out Donalleighs videos, she is an excellent teacher, and her videos are so easy to follow, you will be reading a grand tableau in no time! Heres the link to her videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBeXPjfv4SY

I would also recommend the book "The Essential Lenormand" by Rana George, it goes in depth about how to do a grand tableau and is a tome of invaluable information!

colorwalk

If you're interested in learning about the traditional method of reading the grand tableau, especially in regards to distance, a good book to get would be Andy's Lenormand Thirty Six Cards.

As others have already mentioned, there are quite a few ways to read the grand tableau and not everyone reads them the same way. But Andy's book is what I'd personally recommend if you're looking to apply the distance (near and far) method. I haven't quite found another resource that covers this particular topic in as much detail as he does (especially compiled in one place/book).

danieljuk

I learnt the basics of GT from AndyBC's blog and also this old thread on AT was so helpful here. 2 years ago I found it so hard to find resources on it, now so many books cover it! Find a method that you can follow and have a go :)

Grand Tableau's are really advanced in Lenormand (in my opinion). I think you have to work up to them gradually, master smaller spreads and the combinations first. Make sure you can do 3x3 spreads (9 card box) really well beforehand. When you start to learn GT, there is so many techniques and things to add and so my advice is to keep it simple. For example the first time you read a GT, look at the card that shows you, and look to the card to the right of your card, that is your immediate past and look to the card to the left, that is your immediate future. A simple 3 card reading in the spread. Next time add a bit more! I do struggle with GT's and do them in a very simple way currently. But don't try to do everything at once, it's a gradual learning process. The key is to practice them over and over :)

Barleywine

My experience was interesting. I did a GT very early on in my Lenormand journey and immediately saw how it can be "deconstructed" into "local" areas of interpretation around the significator and the other "focus" cards (as Andy describes them) by doing exactly what Daniel says - analyzing adjacent cards in front, behind, above, below, diagonally, then all 9, and so forth. My entirely intuitive, impressionistic first take was that they felt like little "vortices" of influence that you could then elaborate on and link together in meaningful ways using the more advanced techniques. I never felt compelled to try taking a GT in one big "gulp" of meaning; it seems to be more about intricately interlocking components, like the old "fine Swiss watch" metaphor. I loved the GT from the first moment, but in practical terms I find the 9-card square more useful for most routine, in-depth purposes.

ETA: I can think of another metaphor that perhaps better describes the fluidity I feel with the GT: it's like "dropping rocks in a pond" and observing what happens where the ripples meet. There can be reinforcing emphases, cancelling effects, declining amplitude with distance, new waves going off in unexpected directions, just about any kind of "wave architecture" you can bring up. It reminds me of a complex web, kind of "wheels within wheels." It also reminds me of the old Bruce Springsteen (later Manfred Mann) verse:

"Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun
But mama, that's where the fun is"

DownUnderNZer

GT's were my teething ring, but I learnt 2 systems at the same time not knowing. Distancing was taught by one woman and not the other.

I'm really amazed I didn't get confused. Wasn't til 3 years later that Steinbachs book put things into perspective.

Can't believe I was thrown in the deep end with 2 systems and I came out okay. And neither ever referred to it as a GT unless in German so I may have missed it.

Wonder if I was a guinea pig? :)

danielit. 422499 said:
learnt the basics of GT from AndyBC's blog and also this old thread on AT was so helpful here. 2 years ago I found it so hard to find resources on it, now so many books cover it! Find a method that you can follow and have a go :)

Grand Tableau's are really advanced in Lenormand (in my opinion). I think you have to work up to them gradually, master smaller spreads and the combinations first. Make sure you can do 3x3 spreads (9 card box) really well beforehand. When you start to learn GT, there is so many techniques and things to add and so my advice is to keep it simple. For example the first time you read a GT, look at the card that shows you, and look to the card to the right of your card, that is your immediate past and look to the card to the left, that is your immediate future. A simple 3 card reading in the spread. Next time add a bit more! I do struggle with GT's and do them in a very simple way currently. But don't try to do everything at once, it's a gradual learning process. The key is to practice them over and over :)

Teheuti

I'm teaching the Grand Tableau via a paid Webinar in two sessions at globalspiritualstudies. It assumes you know the Lenormand basics (card meanings, etc.). The first session was last night and was video-taped so it can be viewed online, the next session is next Tuesday. The webinar is done live and can be viewed later via DVD or the on-line recording (available for multiple viewings).

My emphasis is on applying the principles in the original, "Philippe" instruction sheet (near/far/clouded, etc.) and focuses on a method of reading the Grand Tableau as rippling or spiraling out from the Significator - rather than starting with the corners or first three cards.

I also did a 5-session Intro webinar that's still available. Info via my Personal Profile contact page.