The Book of The Law Study Group 3.58

Aeon418

The keen and the proud, the royal and the lofty are a big step from cowardice of the last verse.

In the previous thread I suggested that the four "types" mentioned in this verse might relate to the four Kerubim who pull the Chariot. These can be interpreted as aspects of the self or different kinds of individuals. Going a step further I am tempted relate each on the four qualities to the four lower sephiroth and their associated "virtues".

Keen - Malkuth - Discrimination.

Proud - Yesod - Independence.

Royal - Hod - Truthfullness.

Lofty - Netzach - Unselfishness.

Individuals actually involved in the struggle of working their way through these spheres tend to become a little unbalanced for a while due to the focused nature of the work. Consequently if there's a place where conflict can easily arise (within or without) it is below the harmonization of Tiphareth. Polarized points of view are often sources of tension. But this usually because the bigger picture is being ignored. Maybe this is why the unity in diversity (brothers) is being suggested here. We might all be in different places and have different views, but below Tiphareth we're all in the same War. So pull togther Brothers and Sisters!

My apologies to the gematria haters out there. :)

III x 58 = 174.

OQD
--- to bind or tie.
--- banded, striped or streaky.
--- binding or union.

Banded, striped or streaky might sound a bit odd. But apparently clashing contrasts of that kind always form a pattern if your able to step back and see the bigger picture.

Zephyros

I didn't say I hated it, only that I had trouble "buying" it :)

In any case, I really like what you say, and it also connects to the next verse, where the brothers fight, yet remain brothers.

Aeon418

Closrapexa, a quote from the introduction to Godwin's Cabalistic Encyclopedia. (p.xxvii)

One may therefore argue that gematria, and in fact all numerology, is the purest nonsense. On the other hand, one may well take such phenomena as proof that it does have validity. In any case, it is doubtless a mistake to take it too seriously or carry it too far. Doing so can result in the grossest delusions. Nevertheless, numerology does form an interesting exercise that enhances the thinking process, or at least one aspect of the thinking process (the ability to see relationships, vital to the artist or scientist), and that inevitably leads to the conclusion, fundamental to mysticism, that all things are related and are, in fact, one. The final realization of the student of gematria is that, as stated in The Book of the Law (the Word as revealed to Crowley, not to be confused with the Torah),
"Every number is infinite; there is no difference."

Aeon418

Another possible way to map the four "types" onto the Tree may be just to stick them directly on the Middle Pillar.

Lofty - Kether (including the whole Supernal Triad) [Atziluth/Wands]

Royal - Tiphareth [Briah/Cups]

Proud - Yesod [Yetzirah/Swords]

Keen - Malkuth [Assiah/Disks]

Zephyros

"Divide, add, multiply, and understand." :)

I do find interesting contemplating the ideas behind the numbers. Some I find especially illuminating, not because every time I see the number 11 I shake and think Abrahadabra, but the numbers do serve as a convenient filing system for ideas put forth, such as is done in the commentary of the verse I quoted, illustrating the cosmology beautifully with 0.12. I suppose that when it is done the other way 'round, putting forth numbers to get to the ideas, I feel that's when I get into "sharp beak" territory.

If I may ask, in your explanation, you used the Roman III but used it as a hundred and eleven, an important number of course, but I'm wondering why you did it, and is it not simply a mnemonic?

Aeon418

If I may ask, in your explanation, you used the Roman III but used it as a hundred and eleven, an important number of course, but I'm wondering why you did it, and is it not simply a mnemonic?

Where have I used the Roman III to indicate 111? :confused:

The system I have used throughout the study of the third chapter is to multiply the verse number by 3. Why? Because this is chapter III.

To the best of my knowledge no one else has used this method. But it does seem to generate some interesting number values and suggests certain relationships and interpretations via gematria. I must add that I don't think any of the number relations "prove" anything about the verses. It's just that I have found them highly suggestive and very useful in developing my own personal interpretations.

If someone were to come along and call it a crock 'o sh*t, I would have no problem with that. Like all the stuff in these threads, take it or leave it.

Zephyros

I'm sorry, I must really be tired if I read 111+58=174 (it doesn't).

I'm not finding fault with your inferences, on the contrary, I find them fascinating, and I never said you were wrong. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. Well, not everything is for me, but I'll check it out. Maybe I will find a connection between "chair" and "nose" (81).

Aeon418

I'm not finding fault with your inferences, on the contrary, I find them fascinating, and I never said you were wrong.

That's fine because I'm not saying I'm right either. ;) I merely find some of the numerical "coincidences" suggestive and food for thought. They are just another tool in the exegetical tool box.

For example the next verse is rather short and sweet and it looks like there is little room for interpretation. But I look at the verse number (59) and consult my copy of Sepher Sephiroth and instantly notice AChIM - Brethren. For various reasons that word leads me to see the word "brothers" in a different light, and it snowballs from there.

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. Well, not everything is for me, but I'll check it out. Maybe I will find a connection between "chair" and "nose" (81).

You could always try your hand at something really profound.

AChTh RVCh ALHIM ChIIM (777) - One is the Spirit of the Living God. :angel:

OVLM H QLIPhVTh (777) - World of Shells / Demons. })

Always Wondering

For example the next verse is rather short and sweet and it looks like there is little room for interpretation. But I look at the verse number (59) and consult my copy of Sepher Sephiroth and instantly notice AChIM - Brethren. For various reasons that word leads me to see the word "brothers" in a different light, and it snowballs from there.

Yay. I was wondering and waiting for this.

AW