Combinations of cards for drug addiction?

cherryberry

Thirteen said:
I don't think that Temperance would be a likely indicator. With Temperance, once you get drunk, you say, "Well, that didn't work," and go the other direction. Combined with the Devil, I'd be more inclined to read Temperance as a bartender who mixes up drinks and talks other people to trying his concoctions to see what happens. He's more likely to be the supplier than the addict.

Yeah, Temperance, was lingering in my mind re this, as it just doesn't seem like the typical card, I was initially thinking along the lines of someone who goes back and forth between drinking not at all or too much, but I think your interpretation makes more sense indeed. Temp would try, see its not working and immediately go in a different direction. Ahh, Temp, one of my favourites :D

Grizabella

MissCW said:
Hi everyone, I am a bit rattled today...

I've had 3 of Swords popping up in some of my readings lately (for me) and so I thought I would try what other people do, sleep with the card under my pillow for some insight. I've never tried this before and I thought this was quite brave with it being 3 of Swords!!

I ended up having a very disturbing dream about a good friend of mine and it was all about him being a drug addict. It woke me up at 3.00 am and I had to go and make a drink! I've never known this man to be a drug user ...

Honestly, I am really rattled by this dream it was so vivid. Its staying with me all day and I am thinking of looking into it with a spread. What pattern should I be looking for? I was thinking of 4 of Cups, Devil maybe the Moon?

While I'm at it, can anyone think of a good spread for this to apply to this?

Sorry this is a lot of questions, but for people who have done the card/pillow thing, have your insights proved to be accurate?

Have you ever known the man to be a drinker? Alcohol is a drug. Maybe that's what it was in reference to.

In reading your original post, you slept on the 3 of Swords card. Maybe the reason you dreamed as you did was that the 3 of Swords was "cutting to the heart of the matter" in your dream.

GoddessArtemis

Devil, 7 of Cups, and the Moon come up often in my readings for my ex. What I don't understand is how to distinguish her addiction (prescription pills) and drinking, from her personality traits..which happen to be greedy/angry (devil), grandiose and self-delusional (7 of Cups), and moody and erratic/unpredictable (Moon). How do you know which Tarot is referring to?

GA

MissCW

Hi everyone, its great to see so many replies on this when I've got home from work - thanks very much.

I've noted all the cards, I love the way some of you can take any card and apply it to any situation, like the Temperance one. I wish I could do that! :)

I think the reason this freaked me out so much was because I very rarely remember any dreams I have, let alone have one that wakes me up, and I've never done the sleeping on the card thing either. So I wasn't sure how literal these things have been for people if they've tried it.

And its strange because I've not been worried about this friend or anything, not with drink or drugs, or anything!

Can I just ask one more thing, like Goddess's question - how would you recognise addictive traits in a spread, would it be your own gut instinct when you see it?

Thirteen

The Stagnation of Dreams

Lyric said:
Actually, I always thought I was a social drinker. I didn't drink alone because that would mean I was an alcoholic, so I thought. I was so social that I drank to socialize---every night of the week after awhile. I'd get so impatient for the weekend that I'd start the real partying on Thursday.
Heh. Yeah, that is why I mentioned that the person is "currently" a party drinker. But as you astutely point out, it doesn't take long for them to start partying earlier and earlier until they've left 9/cups behind and moved into 7/cups.

I have a question. Why would you see the 7 of Cups in relation to addiction? Would it speak to you of the hallucinations of withdrawal or what?
The traditional 7/cups Waite image has a man in shadow--we fixate not on him (as in other cup cards where the people dominate) but, like him, give our attention to the cups. Cups filled with temptations: castles, jewels, laurel wreaths--also poisonous snakes, and cloaked figures--it is all about dreaming of what might happen. If you do this...this might happen...but if you do this instead, this might happen. You dream about all the different things that might happen, instead of doing something and seeing what will happen. And the dreaming combined with not knowing which dreams are real (and possible) and which are fantasy keep you stagnant, unmoving.

Even if you WERE to do something, which would you do? How would you choose? Which are likely and which are not?

It's very much a card related to the lotus eaters of Odysseus fame. Or, even more aptly, Eugene O'Niell's "The Iceman Cometh" about people in a bar talking about their pipedreams (how they'll make their fame and fortune one day), while drinking and doing nothing.

By itself, this is not an alchoholic card, but with the Devil? I really think that pretty much says it all in reagards to drink. Each cup speaks to the reasons why people drink--to get over fears and lonliness, to feel happy, pretty, confident. To escape reality and dream of better days or how they'll someday make it big, find true love, be happy--rather than make a real attempt to achieve something and chance failure.

Dreaming of life rather than living it is the most devilish temptation of all. And like the liquor of dreams, alchohol can becomes the be-all and end-all, replacing life and living.

And yes, those cups could contain a "drug" rather than alchohol, something like opium or marijuana most particularly. When I say The Moon = Drugs, it's because I realate the Moon to drugs that cause a more immediate and unpredictable reactions, like LSD hallucinations, Heroin trips and highs, cocaine insanity. The person taking these drugs is hit pretty instantly (i.e., doesn't have to drink down several bottles of beer over three hours) and never knows exactly what results they will get. What they will see or do.

Grizabella

You know, as I look at those cups, I do see addictions galore. On the right, there's a dragon---a heroin addict could be said to be "chasing the dragon". And the snake sometimes symbolizes sex--sexual addiction. The person's head---relationship addiction. The one with the cloth over it so it's unknown---gambling addiction. The jewels----shopping addiction. The wreath---the addiction to having to win at business or any kind of sport. The castle---that one is harder to give an addiction to. I'll have to ponder on it for a little while. :)

MissCW

Maybe the castle represents security. After all, in all those "dangerous" choices, there's got to be a safe one, hasn't there? Just depends whether you see it amongst the attraction of the others ...

Apocalipstick

Lyric said:
The castle---that one is harder to give an addiction to. I'll have to ponder on it for a little while. :)

An addiction to power sounds likely. Wanting to succeed, always needing to be right and know everything. An intense attachment to material possessions. I may even stretch it to include an addictive pursuit of knowledge (knowledge as power, anyway) without truly understing what is being accumulated.

Grizabella

Apocalipstick said:
An addiction to power sounds likely. Wanting to succeed, always needing to be right and know everything. An intense attachment to material possessions. I may even stretch it to include an addictive pursuit of knowledge (knowledge as power, anyway) without truly understing what is being accumulated.

You're right! Donald Trump comes to mind. :)

lark

Wonderful thread!

What I also find wonderful is you first sentence.
You asked what the 3 of Swords ment for you...and you got a dream.
A sad, upsetting dream but still an answer to your question.
It was telling you through the feeling in that dream what the 3 of Swords means for you..that sudden surprising stab of fear when we feel that someone we care about is lost, in trouble, seperated from us in body, in mind or in their choice of actions.

Next time you pull that card for someone you are reading for remember that feeling..... the person sitting in front of you maybe feeling that same way about the situation they came to talk to you about.

You asked for insight into the cards meaning...I think the dream is a teaching tool not to be taken litereally.
But you might call your friend and check on him just in case.