Why Tarot Readers Should Not Read Themselves

headincloud

What did the 7S incident teach you? that tarot is ineffective when we're unable to be objective therefore you've concluded we shouldn't read for ourselves? If you hadn't read for yourself you wouldn't have the understanding of the 7S you have now and you wouldn't have the insight in to the fact that we're blind to ourselves - and that's what tarot is for, reflecting our blindness. What you're explaining is part of the course of learning to read, tarot teaches us self awareness which is an ongoing process in life with or without tarot we're learning to see ourselves objectively but it sure speeds things up.

page of ghosts

If I didn't read for myself I wouldn't get much reading done :D I don't do it that often because I tend to be slow with journaling about it, but I do feel that I'm doing my best to see what's there in the cards and not what I wish was there. I'm an introspective sort of reader like many others in the comments, which is just as valid as any other type of tarot reader, and I really don't get why it's so terrible to be one who enjoys reading for themselves. Just because it's not your thing doesn't mean others can't be good at it or see value in it.

nisaba

Professional tarot card readers know all so well not to read for themselves,

That's a pretty sweeping statement! There are lots of professionals here, and with some of them, I *know* they disagree with you. I won't name names - some of them will chime in. :)

I agree myself, but for slightly different reasons: when you read for a stranger you have no backstory, so all you have to listen to are the images on the cards and the voice of your intuition. When you read for yourself or for someone you know, you have backstory, and the loud voice of your rational assessment of them/yourself can easily drown out the quiet voice of your intuition. That's my only objection to self-readings.

I know a lot of very, very good professional readers who don't have the difficulties I have in this regard, and are comfortable reading for themselves.

St.Kilda.Witch

Cartomancy was established to be used as a method of self reflection and a secret oracle to consult for oneself. Using a deck of Tarot in this manner is no different and certainly there is nothing negative to be had if you do. I have done so all my life in addition to reading for other people. When I read I certainly don't sugar coat the reading or hold back on any information that is offered, otherwise what would be the point of conducting a reading in the first place?

VGimlet

I think it's really interesting the initial poster stated their opinion and then haven't been back to check on the thread. (Sorry if you've been reading this and are choosing not to reply.) :neutral:

I tend to disagree with the initial statement generally. I think any kind of blanket statement can make people feel prickly, even if they agree. Personally, I read fine for myself and have for many years, but I will admit I can't read for my husband at all. I've said it many times over the years. I am just less subjective and removed from reading for him than I am for myself. That's the way it is for me.

Everyone's experience is their own, and what works for one person may or may not work for another, in my opinion.

Beanfeasa

Codswallop.
I enjoy reading for myself, and just like my clients, I can take heed or choose to ignore the advice offered.
It's akin to talking to a good friend. I consult the cards, I don't live by them.

violetdaisy

I can't read for my husband at all. I've said it many times over the years. I am just less subjective and removed from reading for him than I am for myself. That's the way it is for me.

Everyone's experience is their own, and what works for one person may or may not work for another, in my opinion.

Ditto. I've tried reading for my hubby...it's ok if I'm doing a light daily or weekly for him but anything more and nope. He has walls all around him (and ceiling and floor)...no one can get in. He's kinda fragile. So while I can read for myself in the right mindset - there are those I can't read for. My daughter's friend is another one (yes permission from parent) - walls, ceiling, floor.....

There are some who really only read for themselves. I understand the OP is a professional and coming from that angle - but just like some can't read for themselves, there are those who can't read for some who just are so...blockaded.

ficbot

This is something I struggled a little with recently. Something huge happened in my life and I felt that the tarot cards 'missed it' somehow and failed to warn me about it.

Then I remembered how after my baby was born, I had all these times where I drew cards and the tower showed up. I had assumed it referred to the baby and in hindsight perhaps it referred to this other matter.

I'm not sure how to prevent such a misinterpretation in the future. For now I have been finding more success doing daily draw type readings and staying away from 'big spreads' as I'm trying to really work on honing my skills and this seems to be a better way for that. I am very interested in using tarot for journaling and self-care/daily life stuff and I think that perhaps some 'big life' stuff is not meant to be predicted and just comes when it comes.

St.Kilda.Witch

I'm not sure how to prevent such a misinterpretation in the future. For now I have been finding more success doing daily draw type readings and staying away from 'big spreads' ...

IMO you really don't need to use those big spreads. I have never used them (well maybe once or twice when I first began reading Tarot) The Tarot taps into your inner self, your intuition if you will, and by confusing a reading with these spreads doesn't necessarily aid in an accurate outcome. For the past 35 years I've only ever used a 3 card spread and perhaps from time to time layered it with two or three extra cards. Drawing too many cards is like rambling on during a conversation, it might seem like you know what you're talking about but everyone else becomes disinterested and lose focus on the subject being discussed.

Barleywine

I would say try whatever you want and see what works for you. You'll find out very soon where your comfort zone lies, and there's no better way to learn your limits than to test them. I create a lot of my own spreads - I have almost 60 of them posted here now - ranging from 4 cards up to 25 cards - but these days I prefer medium-size spreads for self-reading, between 4 and 7 cards as a rule depending on whether it's a daily draw or a specific topic. There's really no one-size-fits-all; it depends on the talents and preferences of the reader. I like a few more cards because I can just read the cards as a straightforward narrative and not have to worry about the gaps between them that have to be filled with intuitive guesswork. (This also helps keep the vulnerability to second-guessing down because you have something literal to fall back on if you think you've gone astray.) But then, I love to unravel the 36-card Grand Tableau in Lenormand, which is not something everyone can get their head around.