Vintage Wisdom Oracle

Amanda

I came across these cards early yesterday morning while the site was rebooting and I was checking out the "What's New" area of Aeclectic while I waited for the site to come back up. Not normally my style, but I am intrigued by some wonderful quality I can't put my finger on here... just wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to play with these cards yet and can elaborate on their experience?

HearthCricket

I'm loving mine! It is a gorgeous mix of light and dark, Victorian, vintage, and fey, scrapbook or postcard feel without being cluttered in any manner. I like the back. The brown backs with the women's face in the middle gave me the feeling of a pretty female version of the Marley knocker, so past, present and future spirits guiding me! Which sums up the deck nicely! And she has that ghostly oracle look about her, which I love! I just received mine yesterday and already getting some interesting feedback on a few questions rumbling in my mind. There are so many oracles out there and I love a bunch of them, but I think this is going to be one of my favourites since the artwork and theme just grabs me. On a side note though, all the people are female in the deck with a few children and one older couple (ancestors card). I think it would have been an even stronger deck and more widely appealing with both male and female in it. Just a thought!

Miss Divine

OMG that is gorgeous HC! I pre-ordered mine a while ago and I still haven't received it. ~Sigh~

GlitterNova

I love these! Going on my wish list.

Amanda

Well, I went ahead and ordered these along with The Chronicles of Destiny Fortune Cards (for some reason I always need to buy more than one in case I'm disappointed, LOL!) But I think I may end up really loving these cards HC. We'll have to wait and see! I thought if anything, they might be good for me to read visually, as I do with the Healing with the Angels deck (because that LWB has always been rubbish for me). Now... I wait. It'll probably be after Christmas sometime; I probably didn't pick the best time to order something (and I opted for free shipping, which takes longer). LOL

Amanda

I got my decks today. :)

The Vintage Wisdom Oracle is as expected, I think. Not too shabby! :) The cards are a little difficult to grasp from end-to-end, even for me with my larger hands (this deck is taller than the average tarot deck), but I am really happy they are not glossy and have more of a matte finish. Makes them shuffle well (aside from not being able to grasp them well length-wise). I think the best way to shuffle this deck would be to turn all the cards facedown and swoosh them around on a large surface.

I've only done a couple of spreads for myself so far (there are 5 included at the back of the LWB), and I think I might wish a little bit that the author had drawn those connecting points a little closer between art and meaning for the sitter -- however between the readings, there were some repeating cards in key places that made me pay more attention to them, so I do feel this deck is "connected" and "plugged in" for lack of better words. :) I do see some tarot influences: "Trust" leaves me feeling that it is a higher vibration of "Lust" aka "Strength" from tarot, while "Beauty" seems connected to the Empress a bit. It leaves me feeling like this would be a great oracle deck to supplement tarot readings with.

Aside from having to work a little harder to make the connections for the spreads, I do think this deck is full of imagery, colors, and emotions that I could use strictly picture-wise, as I thought I might be able to when looking at it online.

The card that first grabbed me personally was Wisdom which shows a very simple and serene image of a lady with an owl on her shoulder; the author says it is "...a portrayal of Athena the Greek goddess of wisdom and her wise little protector..."

So far, I think it's lovely. I'll be giving it a try for others soon to see how it might start growing more permanently into my reading style. :)

Padma

It's a nice deck - got mine today :) love the images, and they do provoke an inner response. It speaks primarily the emotional language, I believe.

As Amanda correctly points out the deck is tall, and hard to shuffle if you have short hands!

Very pretty and gentle deck, but with poignant meanings underlying the pics. I will defs add this to my reading rotation. A useful addition to the oracle library.

HighPriestess

Mine arrived today! I love it! I'm especially impressed with the box and the silver around the corners. It makes the box look very luxurious.

Aysel

Anyone interested doing a study group of sorts?

I love this deck, truly. I have never been psyched about an oracle deck before. I'm a bit of newb tho so thats not surprising. I would be interested in hearing about others experiences reading these cards and doing daily draws or meditations with them. Would anyone be interested in doing a group thing and sharing thoughts, feelings and experiences?

Also I agree, as some others have mentioned, that this deck is more evocative emotionally. If I have any sixth sense or psychic abilities I think they come through primarily in feelings for me. Perhaps that is part of my instant connection with this deck but it could simply be that I LOVE vintage and paper ephemera, Victorian themes, and the style of the early 1900s in Europe to the 20s, 30s,40s in america and elements of all of these come through for me in these cards to differing degrees. I feel the delicateness and fragility in the cards but the feminine strength comes through as well. Ah... now I feel that I'm rambling.

Padma

I would do a study group or reading circle with this deck, Aysel. Good suggestion!