Six of Pentacles - Is that a Yod?

Rogan

Hey there, everyone...

In a previous reading Ive just finished, I had a total revelation about this card... It came up in relation to career future - And for perhaps the first time, I noticed what I think appears to be a Yod in the pocket of the person NOT getting the coins - He's in blue...

Now, it immediately changed my perspective of the card, and it effected the reading of the card in the spread...

Im rather curious to hear what other people think about yod in the pocket...

http://gfx.tarot.com/images/decks/rider/full_size/69.jpg

Free Flight

excuse my ignorance Rogan but what is a YOD?

Rogan

Yod

Hmm... Basically - Yod (rhymes with mode) is the tenth letter of the hebrew alphabet. In jewish mystical tradition, yod represents a dot, a divine point of energy - Since Yod is used to form all the other letters, and since god uses the letters as the building blocks of creation, Yod indicates god's omnipresence... It's also the first letter of Gods name - Yod-Heh-Vav-Heh (YHVH)... In hebrew, I mean.

Yods appear in a few of the cards to represent divine energy - They fall from the Ace of Cups, and the Ace of swords, and they're scattered around in other cards too...

Seeing the Yod in his card, in the pocket of the guy NOT being given coins - I thought "Hmm... this begger carries divine energy, but he's not being given any money at this point - The message? Choose who you decide to help carefully, because there are people there who could repay you in ways beyond your belief, and you may not be helping them... (Kind of like helping the beggar woman who turns out to be a beautiful, princess who in turn gives you wealth beyond your wildest dreams because of your act of selflessness)

Just an interesting obvservation... I thought this thread mightve generated a little more of a talk-back, but perhaps I was wrong? :)

Moonbow

Rogan, perhaps this is better suited in the RWS forum, where more may see it. But for me, its certainly an interesting subject and nicely noticed by you.

The RWS deck is not my favourite so I'm not the best person to comment on this, but I am always enthralled when a symbol like this is noticed... in any deck.

It would be nice to think that the person not receiving the gift, is the one that already has a gift beyond wealth and that perhaps the person doling out the money is the one who could do with wealth of another kind. As though he is missing the obvious. Perhaps also another meaning to the card could be that you don't have to give in order to receive.

Moonleap

Very interesting, Rogan! It does look like a Yod.

I had always thought it was a patch, not a pocket!!!

tarobones

patches

What an interesting theory!! I always thought of them as patches, but I like what you have discovered about the image. Thank you for sharing it! BB, Michael

brenmck

Rogan said:
since god uses the letters as the building blocks of creation, Yod indicates god's omnipresence... It's also the first letter of Gods name - Yod-Heh-Vav-Heh (YHVH)... In hebrew, I mean.

Yods appear in a few of the cards to represent divine energy - They fall from the Ace of Cups, and the Ace of swords, and they're scattered around in other cards too...

Seeing the Yod in his card, in the pocket of the guy NOT being given coins - I thought "Hmm... this begger carries divine energy, but he's not being given any money at this point - The message? Choose who you decide to help carefully, because there are people there who could repay you in ways beyond your belief, and you may not be helping them... (Kind of like helping the beggar woman who turns out to be a beautiful, princess who in turn gives you wealth beyond your wildest dreams because of your act of selflessness

I think you're on to something here, a very subtle symbol but once you really see it it is very significant.

I've held a special place for this card since reading the discussion of it in "78 Degrees of Wisdom," where Rachel Pollack describes it rather like a "grace" card, signifying that those in the arts, Tarot studies, and spiritual journies will be given what they need when they need it - not necessarily material blessings, but certainly not exluding them either. The beggar with the "yod patch" doesn't realize what he's receiving at the moment, but I get the idea that he soon will. His cloak is blue for a reason. I get a very warm glow when I draw it for others or myself.
The yod really seems to confirm her notion, doesn't it?
I think your interpretation applies too - the idea of being truly attending - and the character of the gift may well change in different readings.
I just recently went back to this deck in earnest - behold! :)

~B~

Fulgour

Consider too, the "arrangement" of the Pentacles:

~ 3 to our Left ~ 1 Overhead ~ 2 to our Right ~

I don't think this was just Pamela's way of filling space,
but rather and indication of "flow" and then groupings.
She (almost) never arranges her elements geometrically.

Rogan

Great insight guys - I love it...
I just love how one little thing can really light up inspiration in the cards...
Awesome.

RChMI

The Pentacles in connection with the three figures and the scales can be seen to represent the Tree of Life itself... The merchant's head being Tiphareth, the scales being Netzach, the figure in blue being Yesod, the figure in yellow being Malkuth.

The scales are likened to Libra which is ruled by Venus, and also is in the place of Netzach, which is the planetary sphere of Venus which also rules Taurus, of which Six Pentacles is the third decan of Taurus.

The three figures are also representative of those in V The Hierophant, which is Taurus. The Hierophamt blesses with the raised right hand having two fingers extended out and two fingers curved in, indicative of "Above and Below." The Merchant pays with the lowered right hand having two coins dropped first and then followed by two more coins, indicative of "Above nad Below." The four coins are also representative of two vertical dots with a space followed by two more vertical dots which is indicative of the Geomantic shape of Via, which is ruled by the Moon, and the Moon also rules the third decan of Taurus.

The Tetragammaton (Yod Heh Vau Heh - IHVH) is more correctly the manifested power of God, rather than the name of God. In Exodus 3:13, Moses asks what he is to tell the people is the name of God should they ask. God answers in Exodus 3:14 and says, "I am that I am" (Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh - HAH.)