La Lune (the Moon) - how may it be read?

Diana

Helvetica said:
Has the other side a female face? for like others it bothers me that this female emblem was drawn with a male face.

Male face??? That's odd. Which deck are you referring to, Helvetica? (I've always seen a female face - very much a Mother. To me, just like there are three Fathers in the Tarot of Marseilles, there are also three Mothers. And the Moon is one of them.)

Moongold

Helvetica said:
Has the other side a female face? for like others it bothers me that this female emblem was drawn with a male face.

"The man in the moon
Came down too soon
And asked his way to Norwich
He went by the south
And burned his mouth
With supping cold pease porridge"

"The man in the moon was caught in a trap
For stealing the thorns from another mans gap
If he had gone by and let the thorns lie
He'd never been man in the moon so high."

Hi Helvetica,

As a child I knew about the Man in the Moon before I knew anything at all about the Moon’s association with female energy. Perhaps Pixie Colman Smith was simply drawing the image that most people would identify with the Moon? Having said that, her audience were people you’d imagine would have other conceptions.

At that time possibly, many would have associated Moon energy with negative female energy. Perhaps PCS was saying the energy can attach itself to men and women?

Yet the image could be a strong, severe, female face. :)

Sophie

Diana said:
Male face??? That's odd. Which deck are you referring to, Helvetica? (I've always seen a female face - very much a Mother. To me, just like there are three Fathers in the Tarot of Marseilles, there are also three Mothers. And the Moon is one of them.)

All the decks I can remember that I've seen (Grimaud, CamoinJodo, Hadar, Héron Conver, Noblet) look like male faces to me. Except the Dodal which looks more hermaphroditic - or stretching it, an old lady.

Yes, it should be three Mothers, but though the Moon is female, the face is male to my eyes.

Moongold

Diana said:
To me, just like there are three Fathers in the Tarot of Marseilles, there are also three Mothers. And the Moon is one of them.)
Greetings Diana ~

Do you make any connections between La Papesse and La Luna? I don't see the Marseille doing this at all but I could be wrong. There is no symbolic recognition on either image but I wondered if there is some other connection.

Thanks ~

Moongold

Sophie

Moongold said:
Perhaps Pixie Colman Smith was simply drawing the image that most people would identify with the Moon? Having said that, her audience were people you’d imagine would have other conceptions.

At that time possibly, many would have associated Moon energy with negative female energy. Perhaps PCS was saying the energy can attach itself to men and women?

Yet the image could be a strong, severe, female face. :)

Yes, but here I am only looking at the Marseille decks.
Maybe it is a strong severe female face (Helvetica frankly not convinced). In the Dodal - a heavy-lidded face, not severe exactly, more the face of someone who keeps her/his own counsel.

Moongold

Helvetica said:
Yes, but here I am only looking at the Marseille decks.
Maybe it is a strong severe female face (Helvetica frankly not convinced). In the Dodal - a heavy-lidded face, not severe exactly, more the face of someone who keeps her/his own counsel.
Wow - My mind really went off track then. I am looking at Marseilles decks as well. What a blooper. It is still about 28C here at just after 6.00am and I am so hot. Ha ... not a good excuse :) My apologies. Diana won't even reply if she thinks I am talking about RWS in this thread. :D

Edited to add: I just got a beep from my astrology program telling me that Uranus is conj. my Ascendant - the heavens playing a little joke on me perhaps.

Sophie

Moongold said:
Do you make any connections between La Papesse and La Luna? I don't see the Marseille doing this at all but I could be wrong. There is no symbolic recognition on either image but I wondered if there is some other connection.

Don't you see the two towers ressembling the two "columns" made up of the curved edges of the Papesse's veil? Or the light of the moon, hiding and revealing at the same time, a visual reminder of the Papesse's veil.
I see the veil everywhere in XVIII- La Lune. It's the first things that jumped at me.

Sophie

Moongold said:
Edited to add: I just got a beep from my astrology program telling me that Uranus is conj. my Ascendant - the heavens playing a little joke on me perhaps.

I don't mind ;)
I just don't have the RWS to hand to see what you mean!

Moongold

Helvetica said:
I don't mind ;)
I just don't have the RWS to hand to see what you mean!

Well ~ I was actually looking at the Marseille La Lune. My mistake was in making PCS the artist. Wrong century, wrong everything. Couldn't be more wrong!

Saturn is now square Mc. Before anyone pm's me with advice to take responsibility for my own actions - I do, I do. :)

Sophie

Moongold said:
Saturn is now square Mc. Before anyone pm's me with advice to take responsibility for my own actions - I do, I do. :)

I wouldn't dare! Anyone with a Chariot soul is bound to take responsibility, and some!
I am a Papesse soul and I see myself in the Moon card....I do, I do!

(I have no idea where my Saturn is, I try and ignore my Saturn, but he generally won't let me, especially at the moment when I have so much on that's not exactly fun)