The Shadow of Oz - A Tarot Deck by Illogical Associates - on Kickstarter

IllusiveAnna

Shadow of Oz: A Tarot Deck Kickstarter

I have to ask you all- what other forums/sites/groups do you think would be interested in hearing about this Kickstarter? Groupthink is helpful for coming up with new ideas. :) I don't want to harass or post inappropriately.

Thank you,

~Anna

IllusiveAnna

I'm so sorry RW! I did not mean to break any rules. My apologies.

~Anna

drwitz

*BUMP*

So, the project has 12 days to go and about $12K to raise. Thoughts?

I like what they've put online as previews (see their update number 5 for a link to the gallery). I know some people were hesitant until more artwork was up. Where are people now?

gregory

It's rather pricey, for me. I have backed several kickstarters before now, and only one seems to have gone pearshaped. So far. My reservation is strictly the amount needed for a deck :(

Shade

I am certain the comic artists they have lined up for this would be great but for me the issues are:

The only Top 7 iconic OZ character we have seen is the back of the Tin Man.

The cards we have previews of don't look especially dark. The backs seem dark in that there is a scary winged monkey. I suppose the card with Aunt Em (?) looks sad. The cards with Jack Pumpkinhead and a fox look pretty upbeat.

rwcarter

$50 to reserve a deck whose art I haven't seen is a bit much for me. The $40 level (same package with early bird $10 discount as far as I can tell) was borderline for me. I wish the project well, but I can't justify that kind of money right now.

starlightexp

It is, unfortunately, a bit of a catch 22. They need art to raise the funds but they need the funds to pay the artists to make the art. I based my decision on checking out the various artists websites to see if I liked their styles.

gregory

$50 to reserve a deck whose art I haven't seen is a bit much for me. The $40 level (same package with early bird $10 discount as far as I can tell) was borderline for me. I wish the project well, but I can't justify that kind of money right now.

AND - IMHO they made a tactical error the way they wrote them up. When I saw the $40 - which I would probably have gone for - it read as though you only got the pdf. By the time I had grasped that you got a deck as WELL as the pdf - they were all taken...

drwitz

OK folks, last 3 days... And about $7800 to go... :)

I upped my pledge (now getting - I hope - a copy of a Wizard of Oz commentary).

So, in case anyone hasn't looked since the beginning, they have provided much more detail on the page now. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/illogicalassociates/the-shadow-of-oz-a-tarot-deck

Worth taking another look at (and by the way, I have no connection to the group, just someone who wants to see the project happen)...