"but you've already got a Tarot deck!"

cardlady22

$15,000 shopping spree

rwcarter said:
Can you imagine what a $15,000 tarot shopping spree would be like? (drool....) I don't think I'd be able to spend it all in a week, or even a month, even with shopping online. Oh, but how I'd love to try.... })

Now, this is a reality show that I'd like to see! But my heart wouldn't let me get them all for myself. I'd be secretly scouring the Purple Pages for worthy causes . . .

rwcarter

RE: $15,000 tarot shopping spree

While most of them would be for me (even with that much $$$ I don't think I'd even be able to come close to gregory's collection })), I'd inundate poor Nonny with decks for the foreseeable future.... :D

Back on the subject of already having a single deck, I just added 37 decks/sets to my collection in one fell swoop. Many of them are duplicates and will end up with Nonny or in a trading thread. But I couldn't pass them up for the deal I got....

One deck indeed! Madness, I tell you. Madness! }) }) }) (Whether mine or someone else's is a matter of perspective. ;))

Rodney

rhombchick

Simsy: The gilded deck is around $45AU at the moment...

I was in the big smoke the other day and stopped at a new age shop and had a gander....
Many eye rolls were made.... at my going into the store that is.... then again when I didn't walk out empty handed...

gregory

The Gilded comes in a lot cheaper if you buy it in that kit called something like Easy Tarot - and Ciro says the card stock etc are identical !

Nevada

rwcarter said:
Can you imagine what a $15,000 tarot shopping spree would be like? (drool....) I don't think I'd be able to spend it all in a week, or even a month, even with shopping online. Oh, but how I'd love to try.... })
Oh my god. You are just trying to torture us now, aren't you. :D I'll be fantasizing for days now....

gregory

I recall the days when my boss - a dear friend - said I was obsessed. Nonsense, I said. I only have about 50 decks. What, he asked, would be an obsession ? 200, I said......

Oops.

I don't think $15k would get me that wooden Kashmiri, though..... :( I am never going to get that, am I ????

nisaba

KateC said:
My name is KateC & I am a card addict.

I will say (in my own defense) that the good think about having an embarressment of cards is that I can always give s deck away to someone who needs a deck -- I have done this twice this month.

My name is Nisaba & I am a card addict.

I give away URLs.

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
My partner is always supportive of my interest, even with all the new decks which keep arriving. I love the way he tells friends proudly at dinner parties "O he has one of the biggest tarot collections in the world".

I think he genuinely thinks I do! (even though Ive told him about gregory!)

And Mr Kaplan.
<grin> your collection (yes, I've peeked) is pretty impressive, though. The poor guy - are you both wading knee-deep through a rubble of decks in the house? At least he likes to boast about you, which is a Good Thing. Sometimes I wonder if Mr Gregory boasts ... or endures in defeated silence <evil grin>.

I simply don't do partners any more, not since one of them made fifteen-odd decks disappear.

Including the Servants of the Light deck, which is now OOP, and which as time passes I miss more and more, not less and less. Losing all those decks has been the incentive that got me madly buying this last year or so, but I just won't feel ... right ... until I have another SOL <sob>. And they are so hard to find, and so expensive, and then someone else buys them before I do ... <whimper>

nisaba

rhombchick said:
I was in the big smoke the other day and stopped at a new age shop and had a gander....
Many eye rolls were made.... at my going into the store that is.... then again when I didn't walk out empty handed...
<cackle> Recently I, my daughter (who doesn't disapprove of Tarot, but disapproves on principle of my spending money on anything other than *her*), and my ex (not her father or the deck-destroyer) were wandering along through a beachside suburb, the two of them chatting a bit ahead of me, and I passed a window of Pretty Things. Normally I can ignore this window - it usually just has overpriced but cheap suncatchers and things in it.That day I looked, went in, came back out when the shop-lady was inside the display, pointed to an object, and went back in.

The two people ahead of me stopped and looked in total bemusement. I *loathe* any kind of shopping, and neither of them, who both know me very well, have *ever* seen me do that before.

I knew I couldn't buy it. If I'd come out of there with a parcel in my hands, I'd have never been able to live it down. So I put it on lay-by, paying the whole amount rather than the deposit, and said I'd pick it up the following day (when I could be alone). I came out carrying nothing. My daughter checked my bag - nothing.

for the next hour or two they kept carrying on about how I'd actually:

a) looked at something in a shop window,

and

b) pointed it out to someone after entering the shop.

On a completely unrelated matter, I am now the proud owner of a lump of Butterscotch-jade, which has been partially carved to represent a reclining (fat) buddha resting in an alcove of native, unhewn stone.

nisaba

gregory said:
I recall the days when my boss - a dear friend - said I was obsessed. Nonsense, I said. I only have about 50 decks. What, he asked, would be an obsession ? 200, I said......

Oops.
<curious> Are you still friends? Does he KNOW?