PDR Week Two - 3 Advice Cards, getting out of a rut...

DellArtista

I've noticed I have a habit when doing readings (anything from a 3-card to the celtic cross & beyond) to end up seeing all the cards as advice cards, even when the position in the spread is to represent something else entirely. I'm not quite sure if this is a bad habit or not yet (after all, I suppose each card is always an advice card in some way...?) but I do feel like my readings come off as too advice-heavy, especially when reading for others.

But I decided to indulge this habit & experiment by doing a 3 card throw for myself & having each position have the intent of being an advice position -- and the topic at hand being how to pull myself up from the depressive rut I've been stuck in.

The cards (using Cosmic Tribe) --

****2 of Disks****2 of Swords****Queen of Disks

The first thing I noted was that the 2 of Swords is showing up yet again in my self-readings -- making a note of that & wondering again what the recurring might be trying to say.

In general, I noted that the Disks showing up as the other 2 cards seem to suggest grounding/Earth/bodily pleasures as a way to center all that mental (Swords) energy. I wonder how much is showing my blocking off parts of myself & my emotions -- and that I need to stay grounded to deal with it all (Disks), while also being able to face it objectively with a clear mind (2 Swords). At the base I need to take better care of myself while also learning how to be comfortable with change or conflicts... and all the while I feel like the Disks cards may also be saying not to lose a sense of lightness.

2 of Disks -- That being comfortable with different sides of myself will help bring some happiness in -- the beautiful contrast of the butterflies wings in this card (one red, one green) seems to reflect this... embracing duality. To keep at things & to just not quit. It may help me to practice caring less about certain issues surrounding me right now... to have less of a pessimistic sense. Perhaps to handle the feeling of pressure more lightly, to take on a feeling of flight. Maybe a note to try to work among nature (Disks) or spiritual practices... to work on my skills like tarot, and to find euphoric moments in them -- this card has quite an euphoric feel to it. A card of balance, so perhaps trying to juggle the time I spend on each issue properly. Look to see if all areas are covered, look to see if any blank spaces can be filled.

The butterfly & the snake in this card seem to be perfect symbols for the idea of adaptability & mobility -- good words to keep key! Keep evolving & keep trying to look beyond & above the issues or sadness. Look for the fun and not just at the fears.

2 of Swords -- While looking for peace, use the mind power/intellect/thought to achieve it... try having it work for me and not against me so much -- work with those things I already have, put them to use instead of having them use me...

I'm getting a bit blocked on this card with it coming up for my readings so often... needing to lean on book meanings -- looking for ways that I can smooth things out, even if they are only temporary fixes. Make choices & look squarely in situations I'm afraid of & look for answers (perhaps after grounding myself as the 2 Disks suggests). Put work into creating peace -- work on staying calm, knowing that conflicts do change away?

Queen of Disks -- Try to keep thinking new thoughts for any craft or possible business... maybe looking for creative & fun ways to make extra money to ease some worries? Look for ways to help the people loyal to me -- the figure in the card seems to achieve happiness by giving it.

I think this is another reminder (a theme showing up?) to stay grounded... keep things that are beautiful in my eyes around me to help this. I'd also think this card is a nod to sexual pleasure, take of that what I will! :p

Also about looking for ways to feel that abundance... and maybe that will make the task work of the other 2 cards easier? Another nod to keep my connection with nature, focus on my immediate physical environment... the Queen of Disks literally merging with a tree in this card reminds me of particular meditation exercises I've avoided & should probably practice again.

I feel like the main advice in this card is probably to tend to basic needs -- makes me think of the old therapy "HALT" of never going hungry, angry, lonely or tired! Try to look after my body & health even when other issues seem to get in the way of that. To not get caught up in self destructive behavior of my base needs -- take care of myself in those ways first so I am more able to face the issues from a grounded place.

& In the cases that the court cards represent people, perhaps look around in my life for those who remind me of the Queen of Disks & try to spend time with their presence.

swimming in tarot

The HALT advice with the Queen of Pentacles seems good at any time, especially now. I'm a little hazy on the 2 of Swords, too, but evidently it strongly significant. Have you considered thinking of Swords as spirit, rather than mind? Then that would refer to spiritual balance and looking within. (I see my RWS in my mind's eye, as I'm not familiar with Cosmic Tribe imagery.) Do you always use CT? Maybe try cruising through other decks to see if there are different 2S images that speak to you.

pangolin

DellArtista, is there any chance you could post an image? This sounds interesting, with the two 2s and the two Pentacles, but I don't have the deck and can't picture the cards. :(

BTW, I like how you decided to work with your natural tendency for how you read the cards (as advice), instead of trying to fight it. That makes a lot of sense!

DellArtista

I found images online from the Russian printing of the cosmic tribe... the colors seem a bit more muted in this re-printing & a few of the minute details are missing, but other than that & the language difference... ;) --

http://images.taroteca.multiply.com...Discs-02.jpg?et=5wyq,un10pcibzmOXABBDQ&nmid=0 -- 2 of Disks

http://images.taroteca.multiply.com...words-02.jpg?et=rAAXk7fznHaXa6C+vGz2og&nmid=0 -- 2 of Swords

http://images.taroteca.multiply.com...scs-King.jpg?et=,qkNeL4EHPZYi3jX1UhLDA&nmid=0 -- Queen of Disks (possibly "not safe for work," as the image here is of a nude!)

Thanks for asking for the images -- gave me more to think on as I didn't really notice how interesting having the 2's show up twice (& there's that number again! ;) ) was until now.... the 2 cards of 2's do seem to compliment & contrast each other in ways I didn't notice at all my first go round looking at the spread.

Swimming, I'm used to thinking of the wands as the spirit cards... but seeing the swords in that way makes a lot of sense to me too in this case. Thanks for planting that idea!

Right now the only other deck I have is the RW which I find doesn't quite click with me... I'm still very much a newbie, I've just had the RW & CT since this past summer. I finally gave in to getting a third deck that's on it's way as I type -- Deviant Moon. I think perhaps bringing out all 3 of the 2 of Swords at once might help with figuring out the 2 of Swords mystery... might be interesting to see if it still continues to follow me around using the other decks!

Thank you so much for reading & responding. :)