Traveling AT Member Deck

Jeannette

Oops! Missed that one of these was directed to me:

NightWing said:
3. Is it easier and cheaper for a "used" deck to travel internationally, because of taxes, duties, etc.? (I think it would have to be identified as a "gift" with no monetary value to avoid some of this). Jeannette?
I've learned that you can never predict what Customs in a particular country is going to do on a particular day. I'll have customers from the same exact country report wildly different experiences/charges etc. for overseas packages.

However, if the package is sent marked as a "gift" -- which is a perfectly legitimate designation in this situation -- there generally shouldn't be any Customs charges up to a certain value. And all the decks on the list I proposed previously should fall under that value for most, if not all countries. However, any of the participants in the project should be willing to acknowledge that Customs charges are possible (if unlikely -- one could file a protest, I think, should fees be levied under these circumstances), and that they could be responsible for paying those fees.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

Jewel-ry

This is a wonderful idea!

I think its a good idea for the deck to go round the states first before it crosses international borders. Helps to keep the cost down.

Whilst I think a journal is a great idea, it will certainly add to the cost. Why not set up a journal thread so people can report their experiences with the deck on here? Or maybe each person could write their portion of a journal and it could be collated later but then - what do you do with it? Maybe everyone who wants could get a copy? I don't know too many questions that need to be answered first.

I still think it sounds a lovely idea.

:)

MeeWah

Journal thread as a sticky

Setting up a journal thread as a sticky thread would work better in the long term. It offers accessibility to all participants & viewers. It eliminates the additional weight & ensuing postage involved.

That way, anyone who wants a copy can simply click on the 'print version' from the Thread Tools menu (at the top of the thread screen) to print a personal copy.

Edited for clarity.

bleuivy

This is a lovely idea! And thanks so much Jeannette for offering a starter deck! I think any of the decks you listed would be wonderful.

It just occurred to me that the deck will be like the Fool, setting off on a journey, and each of us will be a stop along the way! This gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. :)

Flavio

I've seen "traveling items" at another internet places for my hobbies, for example minidiscs traveled to one country to another, each person recorded sound of the country/city and then passed to another country.

As for this traveling deck, I totally agree to keep a journal for such deck to travel together. What about the deck to be used for a reading regarding a specific matter of the country/city visited and include it in the Journal? Or read the same question in each country to see what the local flavor adds to the reading?

rosesred

The one problem with a journal traveling with a deck is that a decent sized journal would increase the costs of the package a lot! Especially if it is to be sent overseas. Maybe a purely electronic journal (though not as romantic) would be more practical.

I love the idea of sharing a deck with the rest of the world. Just imagine: a thread of people connected by this deck! It's such a wonderful thought.

Best wishes,
Rosesred

Moonbow

If the idea of a journal thread is taken up, instead of sending an actual journal, then I like one of Daizdy's first thoughts, which is for each person involved to sign one of the cards. As long as the signature doesn't distract too much from the card picture and it's limited to 'just' the signature.

What would happen to the deck at the end? Could it be a competition prize?

Daizdy

I agree Rosesred, definately not as romantic but more cost-effective for sure. If we each sign the back of our favorite card before we send the deck on, we'd be sending a piece of ourselves with it. So, if everyone is in favor that's what we'll do! :)

Will everyone express an opinion on how/who will choose the deck? My own opinion is, I feel Jeannette should be the one to choose since she's kindly donating the deck. If you're not in favor of her choosing, then what do you prefer and which deck?

Moonbow said:
What would happen to the deck at the end? Could it be a competition prize?
Are competitions exclusive to paying members? I'd like for everyone to have an opportunity to own the deck. I was thinking more on the lines of auctioning it off and donating the proceeds to a charitable cause or to Solandia to sponsor subscriptions for needful non-paying AT members. It's open for discussion though, anyone have ideas that non-paying and paying members can both be involved in?

Sophie

What a good idea - and very generous offer, Jeannette!

How about asking all the temporary owners of the deck to do one reading in either the Reading Exchange or the Your Readings with it? We could open a thread just for the readings with the travelling AT deck?!

Satori

What a way to build energy in a deck!

Depending on the deck chosen it might be nice to sign a blank card rather than the actual cards.

If say, Jeanette or the first to get the deck was willing, s/he could add in some blank cards and take out the endrun cards. People would need to sign with archival quality pens rather than ink as the acids would definitely ruin the cards over the longterm. I just don't agree with signing the actual cards. I'm a purist.

Jeannette this is a very generous offer of a deck and I thank you for the donation.

I was thinking we could send a floppy around with the deck or a cd and agree on a word processing program for the journal, but then we have to worry about viruses. So, perhaps an online journal that can be printed and packaged with the deck at the end of the journey.