Traveling AT Member Deck

Jeannette

bleuivy said:
I second (or possibly third or fourth by this point :p) the idea of a multi-cultural deck going all over the world. The World Spirit feels like it might be a good deck for that; it doesn't feel as serene as Tarot for the Ages, but that might just be my take having not ever actually seen the World Spirit.
I'd be happy to contribute a World Spirit deck, but realize that it's only available with a small book as one of those Llewellyn "mini kits," so the shipping weight -- and therefore postage costs -- would be correspondingly higher. And it would be my preference not to break up deck/book sets, because I generally can't find homes for the books separately, and I'd rather not throw one away or have it "underfoot" when it probably won't ever get used.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

bleuivy

Jeannette said:
I'd be happy to contribute a World Spirit deck, but realize that it's only available with a small book as one of those Llewellyn "mini kits," so the shipping weight -- and therefore postage costs -- would be correspondingly higher. And it would be my preference not to break up deck/book sets, because I generally can't find homes for the books separately, and I'd rather not throw one away or have it "underfoot" when it probably won't ever get used.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

Good point, Jeannette. I hadn't thought of that. So no to the World Spirit. The Ancestral Path and the Tarot of the Ages are both lovely suggestions as well (and I believe both are sold without d/b sets?). I almost think any deck you choose would work because one of the most exciting thing about this whole idea is the people that it will meet and the places it will go. It's going to be one lucky deck! :D

Cerulean

Someone suggested the Cosmic Tarot by Norman Losche

has the old movie archetypes that many would recognize.

I had trouble reading with it because of my associations with the Silver Screen stars, but it might help others.

http://aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/cosmic/

Regards,

Cerulean

P.S. I'm watching this thread with interest, but cannot participate. Over the holidays, there are weeks when I'd be away and just out of touch with you guys!

Daizdy

Wow! Wonderful suggestions and unfortunately we have to go with one....
lyric said:
if we did decide to have each card signed by someone who circulated it, then that would automatically limit how long it circulated------to 78 people, or 80 if you signed the two extra cards, too. I think Jeanette should sign and date the box to get it going and maybe the last user sign and date the back at the end of the circulaton?
bleuivy said:
It just occurred to me that the deck will be like the Fool, setting off on a journey, and each of us will be a stop along the way! This gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.
If we leave the sign-up open, his journey may never end! LOL I originally thought to stop the sign-up at 100 people. Stopping at 78 would have more meaning but I still like the idea of stopping at 100. So what if he gets side-tracked along the way. :D When one Fool's journey is complete, we'll begin again with a new deck! Any final thoughts on that?

The Journal:
As much as I Love the idea of a journal traveling with the deck, it just isn't going to be cost effective. As so many suggested a sticky thread is going to be best and then if someone wants a copy they can print it out.

Signing the Cards:
Signing blank cards is a good idea but again, it will add bulk/weight to the deck. I think signing the back of the card adds more to it. I was thinking two signatures per card, if needed. If, by the time the deck comes around to us and our favorite is taken, then we'll just have to pick another favorite :)

I'm going to pull all this together and post a sign-up thread either later this evening or in the morning.

Thanks for all the input and making it possible for it to happen! :D :D

Jeannette

Cerulean said:
[The Cosmic Tarot by Losche] ...has the old movie archetypes that many would recognize.
Actually, that was going to be my first suggestion... but then I saw that divinerguy not only had it (it was one of the few listed of his many decks in his profile info), but had also noted in another recent thread that he was beginning to find it a bit "dated." Not that finding a deck that none of the participants own is going to ever be possible -- but at the time, I was using the profiles of those (relatively few) who had posted to this thread at that point as a guideline for my suggestion.

Besides, the only copy of the Cosmic I have available to contribute right now is the deck/book set, and for reasons already stated, I'd prefer not to break up the sets as long as shipping weight is an issue.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

firemaiden

Wonderful idea! I'd love to play.

magpie9

It seems to me that "Ancestral Path" would not be a good deck for this because it does the minors numbers backwards, (10-1) and it is un-standard enough, in several ways, that it can be hard to learn to read without the companion book. I'm assuming that no one really wants to learn a whole other tarot system just to do this.

I'm not familiar with "Tarot of the Ages", but if it's based on standard RWS, it might be better for this. And, as has been pointed out, not that many people have it, so it could be a new experience for most of us.

Also, (since I'm sticking my oar in :D) I don't see why we need to limit how many people sign the back of the same card, as long as no one's writing over someone else's signature.

calligirl

I think this is very exciting. I belong to several exchanges but this one would be the best yet, round robin Tarot!

As a newbie, I would hope the deck would be something I could read with (and then I'd want my own deck to keep, eh, Jeanette?!). Also, who would the reading be for, the person I receive the deck from or the place I live perhaps (shades of Katrina lingering here) or for the person I send to next?

Another question I have is that of mailing/shipping. I've never shipped overseas so I am ignorant of the process and don't know a thing about customs. If I just have a deck of cards, can't I just put the person's name on the front and take it to the post office and just pay for mailing it? I don't have to declare a gift then, right?

I would love to sign the back of the cards. It will eventually take longer to read the backs than it will the fronts!

I can't wait, sign me up!

Jeannette

calligirl said:
Another question I have is that of mailing/shipping. I've never shipped overseas so I am ignorant of the process and don't know a thing about customs.
Any folks in the U.S. who have questions about shipping, just post to this thread or PM me. Me and the USPS are "tight buds" after all this time -- I may be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

There's a green-ended customs form you have to fill out for a low-value overseas package of 4 lbs or under in weight. But I'll avoid cluttering the thread and save the details unless someone really needs them.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

tarobones

World Spirit

I'd like to vote for the World Spirit. And, I would be glad to purchase the "orphaned" book, because my cat Nigel ate mine. Great idea, and I hope to participate whichever deck we choose. BB, Michael