One Deck Wonder

Satori

Hi folks,
Another group of One Deck Wonderers eh?
This is an incredibly worthwhile venture. What ended up happening for me too was that I remembered how I did Tarot for the first three years before joining AT. I was one deck focused, but wasn't a pro reader.

I read for a bout a year with the Voyager Tarot. I did about one year with the Universal Waite and the Robin Wood and a year with the Whimsical. I came back to AT during the time that I was reading with the Whimsical, and it is so funny for me to go back and read my early posts. I was way into that Whimsical deck. Loved it.

Once I hit AT I went thru the almost inevitable and insatiable phase of deck accumulation. As I met with other ATers in the area here and saw different decks I was drooling and oohing and aaahing and lusting. The collection grew, my skill grew and I went pro.

And as I learned the real art of Tarot I realized I had never commited to a deck without the book. I read with the Whimsical book by my side, or the Voyager book and so forth. The LWB or the bigger book written for the decks...but never committed to a deck without the book and reading for strangers.

So, for a solid four months I was into the IIT. I still refer to it. Great deck. Builds focus just like Umbrae says.

Good luck to you all. Just do it. Don't overthink it. Read. Read. Read.

lunakasha

peace_pixie said:
Luna there is no such thing as failure, only experiance!

:heart:

Oh yes, I absolutely agree! :D

I was just basically giving myself permission to attempt the ODW "experience" and that one month is better than not trying at all! The expression "failure is not an option" just popped into my head now. :)

As a "finisher"....sometimes I am too quick to point the finger at myself, and it is usually "all or nothing". In this case, I am not going to do that, I will give it a try and see what happens. Should be very interesting.....now if only I can decide on that ONE special deck. :confused:

:) Luna

connegrl

There are no rules you know! Commit to only reading with one deck and no book. The deck should be simple enough that you don't have an overwhelming urge to look in the book to see what the artist intended. This is part of why the IIT is so effective. What the artist intended rarely goes thru your mind. Or a TdM. No way to know what the artist intended and very few books on the TdM in english. Do it for 1 month or 6 months. Do it for 1 week or 6 weeks. Its about the journey and what you learn. And don't forget to ask yourself why you read. LOL

Jen

HearthCricket

Just curious about another possibility of a one-deck wonder enterprise. I've been working with the Morgan Greer, quite happily, for a month or so, now. I feel like I am ready for a change, but not completely. What about keeping my Morgan Greer at hand and using one more deck alongside. In other words, now that I have a lot of the Morgan Greer images in my mind, and learning a lot through the book "Spiritual Tarot", what if I pulled out the Fenestra or something and did my readings with that, but then pull out the same cards from my Morgan Greer to compare and contrast with, thus pulling my old one-deck wonder into my new one-deck wonder experience? Does that make any sense? I hope so!

Right now I am debating on the Fenestra, Sacred Rose or back to the Gilded, and working it alongside my Morgan Greer...

frelkins

hmm. i don't really ever read, but the idea seems interesting. could you do it with just the majors of your favorite deck?

Formicida

I've been independently using only the Thoth for six months now (wow, has it really been that long?) I'm planning to stick it out a while longer, though I don't want to commit to the full additional six. I'm excited to have some people to share experiences with, though.

Cocobird55

With a few exceptions, I've been using the Victorian Romantic for the past five months, and it has been a very worthwhile experience. I want to continue using it -- perhaps not for another entire six months, but at least for a few more months, so I would like to be a part of this group.

Sheri

I think I understand the power of this exercise. I have been feeling it somewhat as I have been using one deck for the Window/Door readings that I have been doing. It has been a wonderful exercise in the same cards meaning completely different things within the context of a reading, and a great way to get to know a deck very very well.

Perhaps I will take this opportunity to participate...and pick up an IIT to use for it! It seems quite the opposite of the Belmont.

valeria

Acacia

I've been looking over the threads from the last One Deck Wonder experience, and have decided that I'll use the International Icon Tarot. I love the minimalistic images, it leaves so much room for your intuition to come out and play.

Stormwitch

Here is how it boils down for me. I use a deck until I feel compelled to not use it anymore. (That happened with the Rider Waite first off. Suddenly I just couldn't connect with it. ) Then I know another deck is on its way for me! I use different decks at home for different things also, or different spreads.

I'm a big one to go by feel and with the flow.