Platonic Solids in the Thoth Tarot

tabi

Really the only reason I ask is because I do have Michael Greer's Sacred Geometry Oracle and it does have the same shapes as the Platonic Solids. I also almost failed Geometry in high school and probably couldn't tell you the different from a whole in the ground but I think I am going to have to be ambition and read through this and Nicky's thread completely to get a better idea of it...*sighs* Make myself relive high school all over again...ye gods what a nightmare...:rolleyes:

cardlady22

reliving high school for geometry class

The difference is that THIS time you have a level of desire and interest in the subject. I'm the same way mathematically. Until I started my research into symbolism, I couldn't care less what higher math did! It's still hard slogging, but I'm willing to do the work now.

tabi

cardlady22 said:
The difference is that THIS time you have a level of desire and interest in the subject. I'm the same way mathematically. Until I started my research into symbolism, I couldn't care less what higher math did! It's still hard slogging, but I'm willing to do the work now.

See that is were we differ, I could still careless on higher math. It's there but someone else could and actually should figure out cuz I can't nor do I want to. ;) However Nicky's thread was an interesting reading even if it did make me dizzy with an overload on information.

nicky

I'm not sure I need to know all the technical math to appreciate the inclusion of the symbols on the cards. However, I do like the idea of understanding why they are there and what they represent in an abstract way.

The hunt for the symbols sends me off on tangents and in the process I stumble off into really interesting sites.

Nicky

thorhammer

I found more! The Ace of Swords has that arc of yellow behind the sword, where the clouds have been cleared away, and that space is filled with octahedra.

I find this one compelling because I noticed it and immediately thought, "Crystals", which I associate with Earth. But then, upon further thought, I realised that they represent the crystallisation of thought after the banishing of confusion. It really adds something to this card.

\m/ Kat

thorhammer

I found another one! :D The Ace of Disks has a dodecahedron as the centrepiece of the card, like a huge jewel. Strangely enough, the Cube is supposed to be attributed to Earth; the Dodecahedron has no attribution unless I continue with my inferred attribution to Spirit. But what is the significance of Spirit to this card, of all the 78???

Any ideas? And in plain English, if at all possible :p

\m/ Kat

Grigori

thorhammer said:
I found another one! :D The Ace of Disks has a dodecahedron as the centrepiece of the card, like a huge jewel. Strangely enough, the Cube is supposed to be attributed to Earth; the Dodecahedron has no attribution unless I continue with my inferred attribution to Spirit. But what is the significance of Spirit to this card, of all the 78???

Any ideas? And in plain English, if at all possible :p

\m/ Kat

How about Spirit is the highest high, and Earth is the lowest low. Until Earth becomes Spirit and we start all over again.

*you put your right hand in and you shake it all about...* ;)

Aeon418

thorhammer said:
The Ace of Disks has a dodecahedron as the centrepiece of the card, like a huge jewel. Strangely enough, the Cube is supposed to be attributed to Earth; the Dodecahedron has no attribution unless I continue with my inferred attribution to Spirit.
I think you are confusing polygons with polyhedrons. The image on the Ace of Disks is a polygon. It's a flat, two dimensional, plane figure. To be precise it's a decagon. There's a decagram inside. The whole of the decad is attributed to Malkuth.

The Cube is a polyhedron.

thorhammer

Aeon418 said:
I think you are confusing polygons with polyhedrons. The image on the Ace of Disks is a polygon. It's a flat, two dimensional, plane figure. To be precise it's a decagon. There's a decagram inside. The whole of the decad is attributed to Malkuth.

The Cube is a polyhedron.
It really looks 3-D to me! That's why I put it here; I looked at it so long and hard and turned the card in all different directions, and it really does look like a "solid" rather than a 2-D shape. But if you've got information that it's definitely meant to be portrayed as a decagon I'll happily change my mind :)

\m/ Kat

Yygdrasilian

Foundation

thorhammer said:
It really looks 3-D to me! That's why I put it here; I looked at it so long and hard and turned the card in all different directions, and it really does look like a "solid" rather than a 2-D shape.
Pretty sure that's a dodecahedron too.
I suspect "To Mega Therion", in addition to being 'the great beast', is a play on the word 'Dodecahedron' - the same way 'Metatron' corresponds to the 'Hexahedron'.

ALso, as the mother letters of the Hebrew alphabet stack up...

20 = Fire
0 = Air
12 = Water

...when forming the Tree of Life, the 12-sided dodecahedron would rest upon the Foundation of Earth.
(see: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=110049 )
So why the four pairs of wings?