Some Hebrew considerations...

Probie

Okay, I need to be careful here because I've certainly been guilty in the past of having a little bit of knowledge and then being destructive with it. So please take that as a disclaimer along with stones & glass houses...

...but there are parts that drive me nuts! Example:

Snuffin (2007) said:
The Harlequin's attributes allude to the link between Adjustment and the Fool in the Thelemic formula AL (Aleph-Lamed). AL means "God" in Hebrew, and the letters can be reversed to spell LA, Hebrew for "not." These formulae express the 0=2 equation as LA (not, nothing) and AL (God, all, the duality of manifestation).

Yes to your main point Snuffin and a big resounding NO to how you got there.

First off, sir, there are no Hebrew letters for vowel, they're all consanents. Aleph transliterates into English as a soft breath mark and Ayin into a rough/hard breath mark like ' (Aleph curves toward right, bows out towards left and Ayin does the reverse). What they are is Matres Lectionis or "mother of the language" that gave Hebrew speakers cultural cues of where to insert vowels.

An Aleph (and maybe Ayin too) tends to draw an "a" and sometimes "e" class vowel, a Vav (not "Vau" - see below) draws a "o" class vowel, a Sere draws an "e" or "i" class vowel, and a He at the end of a word (far left as it's right to left) tends to let the speaker/reader know to insert a long "a" class vowel right before it. As the biblical corpus expanded, the final He (as it has come to be called) started to drop off much like the silent "e" from middle to contemporary English as languages seek to simplify throughout time (e.g., soon "through" will be "thru").

Now in the Middle Ages a group of Jewish scholars were very concerned about the continuation of reading Hebrew for future religious studies. Hebrew and its kissing cousin Aramaic (FYI: all contemporary Hebrew characters you see are actually Aramaic block characters, not Hebrew - from the street signs in Israel to the Biblica Hebraicia Stuttgartensia or just "BHS" for short [spelling? - that's the standard/"official" Biblical Hebrew text used from Stuttgart in Germany, again "spelling" on Stuttgart - sorry! :(] used by atheistic/secular, Christian, Jewish, and Muslim scholars.

So "God" is actually 'l in transliteration (see below why the right to left goes now into left to right) from Hebrew. The Aleph draws an "a" class vowel, but that's usually for verbs becasue Hebrew forms it nouns from verbs (English does the opposite) and then transforms into an "e" class vowel AND it is highly probable this word is actually a loan word from a surrounding culture so borrowed in the first place, and becomes this e'l and is pronounced "ale" like the drink. The word "no, not" (nothing is a real stretch with this word) is actually l'o as it draws an "o" class vowel and this little word rarely stands alone and is usually hypenated to another noun. So it could be like this transliterated, l'o-e'l for "not god."

But to say that e'l is the mirror opposite of l'o is really bad. It's like saying a place is called "Mansville" because it's a "village of men." The technical term is an eytmological fallacy, or that the roots that make up a word somehow define it. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Best to stick to the number system where the consonants can mirror each other or reverse or the math.

Secondly, Hebrew as a language of technicality and law, therefore it is religious about requiring a uniform transliteration system. "Transliteraion" is the term for keeping the word looking like it did in the original language, but making those characters into English characters versus a translation.

Example: lmg (right to left here) becomes "gamel" in transliteration and then "camel" in translation, like for our 2/High Priestess. There are no upper/lower class Hebrew letters like Greek & English, so really everything is lower case from "samuel" to "goat" to "god" to "yhvh" (Jehovah - also really bad too from a transliteration system perspective too, see below).

However, to switch up your transliteration mid-stream - and even in the middle of a word! - is really bad form. So make your choice, and remember the vowels are shown in the Masoertic texts like the BHS as little dots all around the consonants or as lines underneath them. So there's only a few cases for making one into a vowel and these are for the very strong classed vowels like: holem-vav (long "o"), sere-yod (long "e"), hiriq-yod (long "i"), and holem-qibbus (I believe it's called, but it is a long "u") .

The letter you call "vau" transliterates as this: vv or ww. That because it is vav-vav right next to other like "JJ." You wouldn't call one of those "J" and the other "U" would you? No, they'd have to be the same. So most Hebrew scholars (which I am not, so I follow their lead) call it "vav" with some dissenters calling it "waw" instead. Pick one or the other: v or w, but not "u" unless it's a holem-vav which is highly unlikely. Maybe they believed that around Golden Dawn time, but since then it has fallen into disfavor. Say "vau" to someone who knows there stuff and they'll go "come again?"

Why not "Jehovah" for those who want to know:

The term (left to right) for the tetragrammatron (spelling?) is this: yhvh. The "J" most likely was meant to be seen like a German "j" when you say "yah" for "yes" and not "jah." So problem #1. Problem #2 is the difference between the qere and the ketiv. The first one means "it is called," as in read in the synogogue, and the second one means "it is written." So the Masoretes would never correct the Hebrew text, too sacred - even the misspells! - but they made up the vowel pointing system. Now you can't say "G-d" if you're a good Jew because if you misspeak you broke the 3rd Commandment.

So even today good Jews (well, some of them...well...you'll see this sometimes even today, then you'll look for an "o" in other words to see if you're seeing things or [in the old days] to check to see if their typewriter's "o" key was broken - just drove Gentile professors nuts until they figured this was what was going on) will spell "God" as "G-d" in their writings.

So the Masoretes came up with an ingeniuous idea, take the word they could say for "G-d" and take it's vowel pointing system and impose that on yhvh to save the day. That word? It's "adonai" and gives these vowels: long "a", long "o", and then either a long "a" OR a long "e/i" - but not both. So now the reader could see it was yhvh, but would say "adonai" instead FTW. When I'm around an unknown crowd, I say "Adonai" out of respect and it's a nice, respectful practice to take up. No reason to offend unintentionally.

So we get the "y" or "j" from the Yod, then the "a" from the vowel point, then an "h" from the He, and then...hell breaks loose. You get to do one or the other, but not both and "Jehovah" does both. You either get a holem-vav, but then no "v" for you as the holem-vav sucks up the vav for the long "o" or you ignore the "o" (called simply a "holem") and go with the vav as just a "v." But the dot is clearly on top of the vav, so you can't get both (normally in "adonai" it's over the dalath/dalet, so no worries - you get your "d" and "o").

So you get "Jahoah" if you go with the holem-vav - but you can't do that because those breath consonants of Aleph and Ayin HAVE to be there to stick two vowels next to each other (Hebrew's very dogmatic about this!). The other option is to fight the Masoretes and their pointing (a common tactic used by scholars fo all stripes & levels of devotion) and keep you "v" but lose your "o". Then you get "jahvah," but then most scholars drop "j" for "y" and then argue (again) against the pointing to scrap the "a" and the "i" in favor of a sere-yod (certainly allowable and defendable) to get a long "e" and end up with "yahveh" or "yahweh."

And for all my Jewish sisters and brothers out there, I'm saying "Adonai" okay? ;)

t.town.troy

I don't get why you are driven nuts by this. :)
The letters Aleph-Lamed can be reversed to become Lamed-Aleph, right?
God reversed is Not. ;)

Probie

I guess we all have our own "nails on the chalkboard" thing. :laugh:

On the one hand, it's good to push the field forward like when we stop saying Tarot came from Egypt. Sure we can throw in some Egyptian archetypes and such (see Liber T: Tarot of Stars Eternal), but it's another thing to believe they originated there. However if no one ever challenged that claim, how many of us might blindly repeat this false stuff again and again?

On the other hand, it also helps us to be taken more seriously. It shows a desire to engage in critical thinking and continue to grow, process, and refine. Yesterday's mana won't do for today, we have to continue to think and grow. Freud didn't want his stuff translated into English for fear it would become a Bible and he believed it would all be outdated in 40 years.

So I say, "Thank you Uncle Al & Golden Dawn, we're taking your insights and expanding on them just like you told us to do."

t.town.troy

o.k. I get it, I think. The old(er) occultists' way of transliteration is not accurate, considering new(er) scholarly methods?
And I agree with "taking the ball and running with it", as it were. :)

Probie

Thank you! I've recently found where this bites them in the nads. Examples of a book I like except for this:

On page 48, Snuffin (2007) notes the classic *12/Hanged Man* is on a "T" shaped cross (no top post & most likely classic design the Romans used) in the shape of a Tau according to A. E. Waite. Well that's the Greek Tau!

Then on page 56, he says a Hebrew word is spelled: Qoph, Shin, Tau. Wait...don't you mean Tav? The letter, spelled in Hebrew transliterated is this: tv. But they're back to the crap system - so now how are you, the non-Greek/non-Hebrew person supposed to know which "Tau" is which?

You see how that's going to punk you out? This is sloppy scholarship. If someone wipes the floor with you because you went along with this, are you going to trust what they wrote elsewhere? No, you're going to be more active in your reading and saying, "Now how do you know that? Where's your proof?"

Time to purge the slop. If we're going to have reflective learning versus memorization of dogmatic proclamations, we have to have a process of self-critique. We already have enough against us, why invite more?

jacknails

As a Hebrew speaker (and sometimes English-Hebrew translator), I do have some thoughts on this. Take into consideration though, that I am not acquainted with Thoth Tarot nor much into Kabala or numerology.

Obviously there are different approaches and even if we all spoke Hebrew fluently there would still be disagreements.
You're right that the example of the Hebrew letter "tau" is a mistake. It should be either "tav" or "taf".

Regarding the word for G-d ("el" in Hebrew) is indeed 'no' when spelled backwards: "lo".

Now "el" is the singular form, and "elim" is the plural. This would imply there are more than one.
So a Jew won't usually use the word "el", rather the word "elohim" - the one and only G-d.
So I think "el" is more pagan (although it is used to describe G-d.) So for example you'd have a sun god, an earth god etc. ("el hashemesh", "el haadama".)

Also, "yehova" seems the right way of transliteration to me. This is "hashem hameforash" (the tetragrammaton), and should not be spoken out loud, instead one would say "adonai".

Also interesting to me is that if any of these sacred words are printed or written, the paper they are written on is also sacred and is not to be burned or thrown away. They are given to the temple to store for eternity.
So a tarot card with G-d's name printed on it is therefore sacred!

Probie

jacknails said:
Also interesting to me is that if any of these sacred words are printed or written, the paper they are written on is also sacred and is not to be burned or thrown away. They are given to the temple to store for eternity.
So a tarot card with G-d's name printed on it is therefore sacred!

Thank you! Wow, I've got to give a Tarot card to the Shaare Zediq ("Gates of the Righteous [Ones]") Synagogue in town! That's too rich...well, they're Reformed so maybe they'd dig it.

t.town.troy

Yeah, I'm coming to think Snuffin might be "light" reading. Among other things, he says that Mercury is exalted in Aquarius.

jacknails

Probie said:
Thank you! Wow, I've got to give a Tarot card to the Shaare Zediq ("Gates of the Righteous [Ones]") Synagogue in town! That's too rich...well, they're Reformed so maybe they'd dig it.

I wonder how they'll react :)

Probie

I think I might do that...find some Crowley thing with "G-d" on it and see how that goes.

Snuffin probably got knuckled under to do a lot on cards. I'm finding it to be a LWB writ large. Maybe I'm too concilitory and then Moon sign Cancer pops up and I want to make sure everyone feels okay, but good scholarship asks folks to be charitble. So with that in mind, publishers often knuckle writers to do a lot on card descriptions. That may have happened here, but maybe not.

I find the reversals (in Snuffin [2007]) the most deplorable as my two favorite Thoth-based decks make reversals impossible because of the backings. I mean readers and querents (or both if reading for yourself) tense when they know a reversal is coming - even if warranted and helpful - so I only use them with my Golden Tarot (Kat Black) and stick with dignities for these.

However, I did find a neat use for Snuffin (2007). I'm reading all the descriptions on one card a day, straight through the decks, in both Liber T: Tarot of Stars Eternal and Thoth Tarot. So I read the descript from Snuffin (2007), then Banzhaf & Theler (2001), and finish with Scion's decanate book (when applicable). I'm on 9/Wands today. A strength of Snuffin is he goes there with the psychoanalytic stuff about things being phallic. If you've made peace with sex hang ups, whether too obsessed or too squemmish or both, that's a plus over DuQuette (2003) and [could] benefit of the Psychoanalytic Traditions post Freud (the plural "s" was on purpose, I like Object Relations and Self Psychology myself - the later saved me to be honest!).

Personally, if I did it all over again I'd read DuQuette (2003) to get primed on terms and background and then just straight Book of Thoth again and again. I've only read through the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament (in English) eight times and the Christian Bible/New Testament twenty-seven times. At one time I knew all about it...which was before I ever read it. Now I know less and less with each reading. The Book of Thoth is like that. I'm re-reading the beginning and it's becoming more familiar but I'm less sure of what I know now. I like that, it's a good thing and most likely it will be a keeper kind of book. I may need a back up copy or two! ;)