Just got my first Thoth deck!

Tarot Orat

After many years with RWS and its clones, plus the occasional Thoth-based deck that I loved the artwork of but didn't totally understand, I took the plunge and bought a Thoth deck from my friendly neighborhood metaphysical store. I haven't opened the deck yet, the cards are still contained in their shrink wrap. I really want to let them out - but I'm kinda nervous about it, too. I've gotten the impression that Thoth is a LOT different than what I'm used to, and have no idea if I'll connect with it or not! Does anyone have recommendations for looking at this deck for the first time? Obviously I have to be in an open, receptive frame of mind, and I should try not to be too nervous I guess. :) I think I've put up a "no Thoth zone" wall around me for so long that I don't know how to pull it down and approach the deck as something fresh, new, and exciting!

Anna

My advice is to read the Book of Thoth. It explains Crowley's approach and makes the whole deck make so much more sense.

Grigori

I"d read Crowley's book second or third, but others disagree I know. If you're completely unfamilar with the deck, Lon Milo Duquette's book "Understanding the Thoth Tarot" is your best bet to begin with. He assumes little previous knowledge and explains things in small steps. Crowley by comparison assume you're already a master of esoteric tarot, qabalah, astrology, mysticism, magic, thelema, etc... so he can sometimes be hard to follow if you don't know the things he is referring to.

Snuffin's book is also a good one to focus on the details of the cards, though I'd read Duquette first and maybe even Crowley... And come join in the Thoth forum here, lots of helpful folks :)

Thoth Forum

Tarot Orat

I saw those books in the store where I bought the deck, and a few other Thoth books too - I didn't have enough money to buy the deck and books at the same time though :) Thanks for the advice, I wouldn't have any idea which books were the best to buy otherwise!

And thanks for the link to the Thoth forum, Grigori! I knew there was one around here somewhere, but my boss was over my shoulder all day at work and I didn't have time to look for it. Ah, home sweet home now, though, and eager to open the deck!

Emily

There is a link to the Book of Thoth being online, it would save you from having to buy the book - I've looked and I don't have the link saved but it must be in the Thoth forum somewhere.

I also second DuQuette's book - I read it side by side with the Book of Thoth - which was an interesting experience and well worth it. :)

nisaba

I'm a newbie to the Thoth deck, myself. I didn't read the book (not so far, anyway), and I'm getting really good results from it. How? By *looking*. really looking.

Wonderful deck.

And closer to the RWS system (because of shared GD roots) than many LoS decks people have no trouble with, and things like the Grail deck.

hopena

I received my first Thoth for my birthday, last week. :) I now know why a bigger deck is needed - there's so much to see, and it's difficult with the smaller cards.

I downloaded the Book of Thoth, from a website that I found in the Tarot Book and Media forum.

Tarot Orat

Just downloaded a Book of Thoth PDF from here:

http://www.tarot.org.il/Library/English.html

Definitely a much better option with my current financial situation - I wasn't sure I could afford to buy books until next Friday. And I wanted a book very badly, after reading your posts and looking through the Thoth forum!

Last night I opened the deck and just went through it looking at each card. They're so rich with detail, color, and symbolism! It wasn't off-putting, but definitely a very intense experience. I think I'll look through the cards again a few times before starting to read the book, just to get that amazing artwork into my head.

I can't wait to get further into this deck - although at the moment I have to go to work, and my boss frowns on Tarot time in the office. (Not that he's anti-Tarot, just anti-not-doing-my-actual-job :) ).

ZKEI

The easiest way would be "Just Use it".

No matter you know the meanings of symbols, graphics, artworks, etc. included in the deck or not.
After that, you search for the explanations of those from the cards you've got
and then you will be amazed (as I do :p).

Apart from the "Book of Thoth" (which you can get for free),
I also second those who did mention Duquette's "Understanding the Thoth Tarot".
May I also suggest another useful one for my Thothy journey?
Banzhaf's "The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards"
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=119376

Good Luck :)

Chiska

Tarot Orat said:
I saw those books in the store where I bought the deck, and a few other Thoth books too - I didn't have enough money to buy the deck and books at the same time though :) Thanks for the advice, I wouldn't have any idea which books were the best to buy otherwise!

And thanks for the link to the Thoth forum, Grigori! I knew there was one around here somewhere, but my boss was over my shoulder all day at work and I didn't have time to look for it. Ah, home sweet home now, though, and eager to open the deck!

I am relatively new to my Thoth as well. Luckily, we have a well stocked library and I was able to check out Duquette's book and Crowley's (they have a nice selection of his works).

I then found them at Amazon.com for about 30$ for the pair of them. I got new copies from Amazon - but if you went with used, you could get them for less.

My approach is that I read Duquette's book, then Book of Thoth, and now am spending time with each card - a personal hero's journey, if you may.